Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-07-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Photographer rides atop a train in the Sahara to test new Leica

Pentax should be thinking about marketing in such a way...
QuoteQuote:
“It was a trip that I’ve had in the back of my head for a while. It was on my bucket list,” MacDonald says. “Leica asked me to think of a trip to test their new camera in challenging weather conditions, so I pitched the story because I thought it would be a unique and neat way to test it.”

10-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unless there's a further link to the rest of the album that's stunning, the ones in that specific article is kinda... not awe inspiring.

The story is lovely, but I was sort of hoping it would be accompanied by outstanding scenery photos and possibly averse weather condition photos.
10-07-2016, 08:52 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

not many more shots on her website, either:

Leica – A Journey Through the Sahara | Jody MacDonald Photography
10-07-2016, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ho hum... not great photography so far. Hoping for more. I think the biggest disappointment is that there are no photos of the equipment pre-post journey and no real discussion of how they protected themselves or the equipment during 95mph sandstorms.

Lastly - a surfboard? What? I really think more context is needed.

10-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think there are some nice shots on her website. They certainly didn't pick the most inspiring ones for that article, though, and I don't really get a sense of any story from the collection. But, I enjoyed looking at some of them individually...
10-07-2016, 11:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

On a website devoted to trains this story is more about the adventure, not the photography.

I wonder what Leica will do with the story. Did they learn anything about their camera that they did not know before. How will they use it in their advertising.
10-07-2016, 11:42 AM   #7
Banned

Well it's just 3300 euro.......

Looks like a nice Journey.

10-07-2016, 11:52 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Riding atop a train - local photographer died overnight while surfing the NYC subway. There's a lot more headroom in the Sahara, though.
10-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Bah! Sahara on a train. I have been to Sahara on my bicycle twice - cameras in panniers mounted on the bike. Crossed the Himalayas in same fashion, lots of similar trips. I am actually just back from a 7-month bike tour and all gear except one lens, which seems to be coming apart, is still working fine. My K5 have never missed a shot despite having spent quite a few years on the road now. If I was a user of almost any other maker, I would have pitched the idea but with Pentax it is evidently not worth the time.

Ok, so I'm not impressed with the "challenging conditions"-premise, but her portfolio is fine.
10-07-2016, 03:33 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Her website photos are much more interesting. The problem I have isn't the photography now that I think about it. It's the lack of a story. It doesn't (in words or photos) tell me a compelling end to end story. AND I still want to understand the surfboard.
10-08-2016, 03:14 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Her website photos are much more interesting. The problem I have isn't the photography now that I think about it. It's the lack of a story. It doesn't (in words or photos) tell me a compelling end to end story. AND I still want to understand the surfboard.
they went surfing when they reached the coast.

I think some of the photos are nice, although some have a p&s-feel to it. There's more variety and interesting shots at her website, along with some words of context. I have never been to the Sahara, but I guess there is only so much to take pictures of when you are on a rusty train in a desert. I don't think they'd try to build rails through the parts of the desert we have in mind when we think of "Sahara" (awesome sand dunes), but rather through the rocky, flat parts of it.
10-08-2016, 03:23 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
If I was a user of almost any other maker, I would have pitched the idea but with Pentax it is evidently not worth the time.
I think that's a shame - personal testimony is one of the best - and cheapest - advertising tools - but I'm impressed by your adventures, anyway