Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2016, 02:37 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kodak Ektra smartphone

QuoteQuote:
In a week where there has been much talk about a new phone vying to have world’s best smartphone camera, another device focused on photos called the Kodak Ektra is also making its public debut (after being teased earlier this month). Launching today in the UK and initially available only in Europe for £449 ($550), the Ektra is hoping to attract photo enthusiasts — in its case by tapping into one of the more iconic brands of the medium, Kodak’s 1940s Ektra camera, alongside some more modern bells and whistles.

10-20-2016, 04:01 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It looks quite cool. There are some sample photos here:

Kodak Ektra Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG

There's one taken at ISO 500 which, viewed at normal screen sizes, looks pretty good, but closer inspection shows just what you'd expect - questionable detail, JPEG artefacts aplenty, aggressive noise reduction and equally aggressive sharpening. Here's hoping it allows RAW... otherwise, it's an expensive snapper.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 10-20-2016 at 04:23 AM.
10-20-2016, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

f2 and f2.2 aperture lenses and PD AF are the most interesting part of that Ektra announcement. The rest seems to be just filters. Oh, and its android, which is nice

I'll buy a camera-focused smartphone when they make one with Q mount
10-20-2016, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
f2 and f2.2 aperture lenses and PD AF are the most interesting part of that Ektra announcement. The rest seems to be just filters. Oh, and its android, which is nice

I'll buy a camera-focused smartphone when they make one with Q mount
Another interesting specification is the 6-axis OIS.
I wonder how they manage to compensate for rotation with OIS?
They also must include AF as one axis of OIS.

Last edited by Fogel70; 10-20-2016 at 06:25 AM.
10-20-2016, 06:15 AM   #5
Pentaxian

if I actually bought phones, instead of inheriting them from my step son, I might be interested.
10-20-2016, 07:47 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
if I actually bought phones, instead of inheriting them from my step son, I might be interested.
Lol. Hand me up phones. I love it.
10-20-2016, 12:57 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So is this a phone trying to be a camera, or a camera trying to be a phone?

10-20-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
So is this a phone trying to be a camera, or a camera trying to be a phone?
It's a phone with a camera Brand name. Currently there are a few Sony Xperia smartphones that have the same front and back camera modules. All other things are just in apps. If it wanted to be a camera then having the option too zoom, even if it was just 2x zoom, would be smart. That probably is to expensive to develop, since these camera modules are ordered ready to install from Sony.

Edit. Pentax could do this to, and it could work.
10-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Cool idea, but you'd probably have to give up image stablization in order to fit the sensor in there and keep a phone-like form factor. The other downside is that beyond the small aperture toys and the pinhole lens, the 01 would probably be the only lens that would give you a reasonably pocketable phone with lens attached.
The announced Kodak camera in this thread has some sort of OIS. And yep, with a Q mount, it would be more camera than phone; and not mostly phone with an ever so slightly better camera (which we have seen attempted before)