Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
That's better than nothing, a grip would be very helpful considering that the battery life of K-S2 is on the short side for a DSLR.
You could design one - pull together a business plan and set up a crowd-funding campaign

I guess the main issue for any manufacturer would be, is there sufficient demand to justify the R&D effort, manufacturing, distribution and after-sales-support costs...

10-29-2016, 08:24 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Why no one makes this for the K-S2?
Lots of cheap third-party grips appeared for the K-7/K-5 probably because they could just reverse engineer/copy the design and electrical layout of the Pentax grip. Cameras like the K-x, K-r, K-50, K-30, K-S2 etc had no original Pentax grips to clone, so to make a third-party grip would need some work. It might have been considered more trouble than it's worth, probably, for a small-market share brand like Pentax.

Some Pentax users have, however, made their own grips for cameras like the K-x - pic related, from this page:

and there have been a few more like that for the K-x and K-30 too, I think. Similar DIY things are probably possible with the K-S2.
10-29-2016, 08:43 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
But the beauty of a6000 is the small body and the professional functions/IQ. This made the body way too bulky in my perspective.
I bought this because it was dirt cheap and because I want to set up a baited studio lighting wildlife camera and the extra battery will help with the long wait times. I will not use this grip handheld because I love the a6000 original size and ergonomics even with huge lenses.

---------- Post added 10-29-16 at 12:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So far as I can tell, the "dummy" device extends the power connectors from inside the camera's battery compartment to the base of the camera to mate with the grip. The cable is required for the grip's shutter release to fire the camera's shutter...
You are correct. Sony does not make a grip for the a6000 so someone had to engineer a workaround. I didn't tread the instructions because it was an unboxing video(my first one). I was confused too, because I couldn't find a battery door removal switch and had to stop videorecording. When you place the dummy battery in the camera you can just close the door and the contacts open the trap door on its own.

My favourite feature of this grip is, I can charge/power the grip with a usb cable while the camera is on.