Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eyepiece for Vintage Cameras?

I just got my hands on a Voigtländer Bessaflex TM! My idea was, I'll be able to use the same collection of M42 thread mount lenses on the Bessaflex or my Sony A7, whenever the mood strikes to shoot film or digital.

It didn't come with an eyepiece for the viewfinder, though.

Not usually a big deal, but. . . I have scratched my glasses before when using SLRs without an eyepiece. I just need some minimal bit of soft rubber to go between my glasses and the camera. The frame around the viewfinder looks very similar (but not quite identical) to the one on my old Ricoh XR7, which also is in need of an eyepiece.

I got a more recent Pentax eyepiece and found that it fits poorly on the Ricoh and won't quite go fully onto the Voigtländer.

Can somebody point me towards an eyepiece that's more likely to be usable on these old SLRs? Something generic, perhaps?

10-31-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations on the Bessaflex TM!

The closest thing to your Bessaflex would be a Nikon FM10 or any of the similar Cosina-made SLRs of the same pattern. The Nikon part for that camera is model DK-20. While currently back-ordered, it is generally available at B&H for less than $10 USD.

Nikon DK-20 Rubber Eyecup 25324 B&H Photo Video

It will likely fit your XR-7 as well. If not, I can confirm that the similar Nikon DK-21 will fit the XR-7, but that model interferes with opening the film door when attached.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-31-2016 at 02:59 PM.
10-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Congratulations on the Bessaflex TM!
I took a quick spin with it this afternoon (and the Voigtländer Ultron 40mm F2, which has become one of my favorite lenses), but didn't even finish a roll. I'll try to in the morning. So far, so good!

QuoteQuote:
The closest thing to your Bessaflex would be a Nikon FM10 or any of the similar Cosina-made SLRs of the same pattern. The Nikon part for that camera is model DK-20. While currently back-ordered, it is generally available at B&H for less than $10 USD.
And cheaper on eBay, apparently, though those might be fakes. Do I even care? Not really. Thanks for the tip! I'll give them a try.
11-05-2016, 05:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FYI the generic un-branded DK-20 eyepieces arrived yesterday. One was a perfect fit on the Bessaflex. The other is slightly loose on the Ricoh XR7 and the film door rubs against it when opening and closing, but I think it'll be usable anyhow.