Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji Instax® Mini 90 (resolved)

Anyone got info on this camera that they could share with me. My granddaughter is thinking to buy it but I'm trying to talk her out of buying one. She says she wants to learn photography with it. I don't think that's going to be as easy to do with this camera as she thinks it will.

Instax Mini 90 | Instax Photography | FUJIFILM USA

11-29-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
An analog version of Instagram...
11-29-2016, 08:31 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
An analog version of Instagram...
But are they practical? Can you enlarge a very tiny photo?

I tried stating the obvious to her but since she doesn't understand most of what I tell her about photography she's insisting this will help her learn.
I guess I could find some reviews on Amazon and send them to her.
11-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
. She says she wants to learn photography with it.
It's a digging up of the Polaroid idea.

I guess you could learn photography on it, but it would be a pretty superficial course.

11-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've got a mini and a wide and they are a lot of fun. I say let her get one. They are relatively inexpensive to buy but of course film isn't free.

I would say the pics are not going to be able to be enlarged much if any. Is that what she wants to do?

I use mine primarily at parties and as a vacation camera for my travel journal.
11-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Mr. Bassie. She mainly wants it to learn photography. I don't think this is going to do that for her. And the fact it's film, buying the film will eventually get to be an expensive toy.
11-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks Mr. Bassie. She mainly wants it to learn photography. I don't think this is going to do that for her. And the fact it's film, buying the film will eventually get to be an expensive toy.
Yes but she will probably have fun with it. You can get the cameras for around $100 so they aren't crazy expensive.

Some of my pics:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/21346550@N04/7525QP

11-29-2016, 11:02 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe it will spark her interest to get a more advanced camera later. Sometimes it's good to explore the primitive urges of the imagination by following first instincts instead of following more rigid conventional strategies that seem natural to the learned.

One of my first cameras was a disposable drugstore film camera, and that sparked my interest in taking pictures. It was fully automatic but even so still allowed composition just nearly as well as a DSLR.
11-30-2016, 04:40 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
Maybe it will spark her interest to get a more advanced camera later. Sometimes it's good to explore the primitive urges of the imagination by following first instincts instead of following more rigid conventional strategies that seem natural to the learned.

One of my first cameras was a disposable drugstore film camera, and that sparked my interest in taking pictures. It was fully automatic but even so still allowed composition just nearly as well as a DSLR.
Agreed. I spent nearly a year with my K-x on auto, just practicing composition, and now composing is the part I leave on automatic!

Av, Tv, X and M modes all the way! Still, I put my K-30 in automatic for my wife, and have been slowly introducing the concept of exposure compensation to her ('oh, the camera made that photo too dark, let me show you how you can fix that in the future'). She locked on to manual focusing right away, though.
11-30-2016, 06:21 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok, thanks all for you input. My granddaughter now uses her cell phone for taking photos, so I would say she already has the grasp of some type of photography. She wants to be able to do what I do, how I shoot. I didn't think this camera would allow her to do that. I'm pretty sure it has no aperture control, no shutter control, or ISO control. And she wouldn't be able to shoot in manual, like I do. But if you all think it wouldn't hurt for her to buy one, I'll let her know what you've all said and we'll see how that goes.
11-30-2016, 07:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure it has no aperture control, no shutter control, or ISO control. And she wouldn't be able to shoot in manual, like I do. But if you all think it wouldn't hurt for her to buy one, I'll let her know what you've all said and we'll see how that goes.
Yes that is correct.

It is definitely not the most serious camera but that is part of the fun.
11-30-2016, 08:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I see that there are 60 sheet value packs for about $40.
11-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Anyone got info on this camera that they could share with me. My granddaughter is thinking to buy it but I'm trying to talk her out of buying one. She says she wants to learn photography with it. I don't think that's going to be as easy to do with this camera as she thinks it will.

Instax Mini 90 | Instax Photography | FUJIFILM USA
Its an expensive and some what limited way to learn photography. There are several smart phone apps that allow manual control with the camera phone and can export to a Fuji Instax printer. That would be more practical. The cost of the prints adds up pretty quick.
11-30-2016, 04:36 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, thanks for all the input. She was supposed to call me today so I could give her my final answer as to yes or no. She hasn't yet but if she does I'm going to read her what you all said.

I agree that the film is going to be expensive in the long run, and I'll try to explain the camera doesn't print them, just develops them.

Perhaps I'll also mention there are apps for her phone that would be better than buying this camera.
11-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, thanks for all the input. She was supposed to call me today so I could give her my final answer as to yes or no. She hasn't yet but if she does I'm going to read her what you all said.

I agree that the film is going to be expensive in the long run, and I'll try to explain the camera doesn't print them, just develops them.

Perhaps I'll also mention there are apps for her phone that would be better than buying this camera.
Fujifilm Instax Share SP-2 Now 25% Off + kit offers (exp. December 3) - Fuji Rumors

Here is the Fuji smart phone printer. She will have a lot more options with a smart phone and probably take better pictures than she will with the Fuji Instax camera. There are many more filters and photo apps that she can use and the odds are she will always have her camera/smart phone with her. The new iPhones and most new smart phones have good cameras for what they are and a huge amount of control. They are fun for events and parties, but the film costs add up fast.