Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2016, 03:41 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Samsung camera rises from the dead...

Some would say that Ricoh missed an opportunity by not picking up Samsung's moribund camera business. Someone else seems to have picked up a part of it, with this fixed-lens, leather-clad, cloud-only version of the NX: Relonch for 2017, at a price.

Perhaps Ricoh dodged a bullet, after all.

12-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #2

This camera is very weird just by looking at its appearance...
99 dollars a mouth and not getting the original file...?
Seem likes a new way to spy on people. Would not even use it for free.
12-14-2016, 04:02 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
$100 a month?

Too much cocaine going on at these venture capital meetings.
12-14-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

So, they're taking some Galaxy NX cameras likely bought at clearance prices (I doubt Samsung would make a special production run) plus what might be a 30mm f/2 lens, hide it in an ugly, blue cover so most of its controls would be inaccessible, write some custom apps (because Android) and they're asking people to pay $1200 per year to use it?
Icing on the cake: you might get your photos. Or not.

12-14-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Interesting concept...
But WAY too expensive and WAY too inflexible.
Why not allow the user to select his/her own photos to be processed? Send the pics to a "viewing room" and have check marks next to the ones you want to keep.
Also, a fixed lens? God forbid you want to take pictures at the zoo or at air shows. If the price has to be that expensive, at least give the user a 2-3 lenses to go with it.
12-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I am wondering who came up with the idea
  • $99 a month or $1,200 a year
  • You won’t see your photo immediately, but you will get it at 9 a.m. the following day. (Back in the film day, I can get 1 hours service photo processing.)
  • No lcd
  • No video recording feature
  • It doesn't give you every image you snap, It pick only what it thinks it is the best. + User won’t see and own original file, but only get modified image from the service provider which is no guarantee if user will like it or not.
  • And I guess it always needs wifi connection? If so, will user have to pay for its wifi service on top of whatever user already pay for their phone? or it included in the $99 monthly fee? What if user is in an area with no wifi connection? It means they cannot take a photo? Or the camera has an internal storage allowing user to snap photo in areas with no wifi connection? If so how big is the internal storage? (they didn’t mention about internal storage, I guess they don’t have it.)
A few day ago, I saw Nordstorm try sale a rock wrapped in Leather bag (they already took it down because of complain form buyers. Some people actually buy this thing?) And I think, it is no way anyone can come up with a better money making idea, but after I read this camera specifications, I think I was wrong again. Somebody just came up with an idea to put camera in a leather bag and make you pay for it monthly! I guess no one want to buy it, but I also guess I could be wrong again.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 12-14-2016 at 05:36 PM.
12-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This 'camera as a subscription service' concept is hardly a surprising development, given that everything else recently has been pushed towards the subscription model (operating systems, desktop software, photo software).

Cloud providers with big AI, imaging and mobile investments (like MS and Google) could take an interest in the idea, I guess.

But the whole 'pay us to totally curate your images for you' concept will seem weird to most photographers.

12-14-2016, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

12-14-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I must admit that the leather clad version looks kinda nice.

12-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The NX series are very good but I couldn't imagine anyone paying that fee for that service.

Why not just get a NX30, take shots, put the card in the laptop and do what you need to, to make the image how you like it?

Those cases don't appeal to me.
12-14-2016, 09:06 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the cell phone service model for images. People would pay monthly for a camera for the same reason they buy a $750 iPhone for $31.50 a month. They want pictures but they don't have $750 in their jeans. $100 a month is the average phone contract including the monthly phone purchase agreement.

$100 is mis-priced though. $30 for the camera is more like it. Then add a (smaller) monthly contract download charge
12-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe they should offer an accompanying leather clad rock along with it, or a crocheted camera body wrap for us 'domestic engineer types', oh wait.... I can crochet my own. hee hee