Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-04-2017, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote

HD 35 and DA 70
The DA35 f2.4 covers FF in a way the DA35 f2.8 Macro doesn't.

01-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Will the K-1 make a good wedding and portrait camera?
01-07-2017, 02:53 AM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Will the K-1 make a good wedding and portrait camera?
Yes, it will. Honestly, any recent DSLR coupled with the right lenses and flash would be a good wedding and portrait camera.

Ideally, you want something with decent high ISO performance and dynamic range - and a higher-resolution sensor is better if you intend to offer larger prints. But, frankly, you could do an excellent portrait or wedding shoot with a 10-year-old K10D, a couple of fast, relatively inexpensive zoom lenses and a decent P-TTL flash.

As with any other type of photography, technique matters far more than the equipment.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-07-2017 at 02:58 AM.
01-07-2017, 09:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, it will. Honestly, any recent DSLR coupled with the right lenses and flash would be a good wedding and portrait camera.

Ideally, you want something with decent high ISO performance and dynamic range - and a higher-resolution sensor is better if you intend to offer larger prints. But, frankly, you could do an excellent portrait or wedding shoot with a 10-year-old K10D, a couple of fast, relatively inexpensive zoom lenses and a decent P-TTL flash.

As with any other type of photography, technique matters far more than the equipment.
Of course technique IS KING, but I am asking if from a gear perspective. The K-1 is good with its zoom, but with primes, I am not sure (for the said application)

01-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course technique IS KING, but I am asking if from a gear perspective. The K-1 is good with its zoom, but with primes, I am not sure (for the said application)
That's my point, though, Any decent DSLR is more than good enough for portrait and wedding photography. Choice of lenses is more important... that's relevant to the type of shots you intend to take, and how you work. One of the reasons a two zoom kit of fast 24-70 and 70-200 lenses is so popular is that it covers most eventualities.

I'm afraid I don't understand your comment "The K-1 is good with its zoom, but with primes, I am not sure (for the said application)"... A good camera is a good camera regardless of the lenses you put on it.

Your choice of lenses and your own skill matter way more than the camera. From the gear perspective, the camera is largely irrelevant - any decent DSLR will do the job (really, it will).

EDIT: I'm beginning to wonder if what you really mean to ask is whether there is sufficient choice of prime lenses available for the K-1. If that's what you're really asking, then yes - the FA31, 43 and 77 are all outstanding, as is the DFA100. The FA50/1.4 and FA35/2 are excellent, too. Sigma also makes some great primes in K-mount. And then there are manual focus choices from the likes of Samyang if you want to keep the cost down. Also, there's a lot of great legacy glass. So lens choice is not an issue for this type of application...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 01-07-2017 at 10:50 AM.
01-08-2017, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
whether there is sufficient choice of prime lenses available for the K-1.
And more to come this year, many live in hope!
01-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That's my point, though, Any decent DSLR is more than good enough for portrait and wedding photography. Choice of lenses is more important... that's relevant to the type of shots you intend to take, and how you work. One of the reasons a two zoom kit of fast 24-70 and 70-200 lenses is so popular is that it covers most eventualities.

I'm afraid I don't understand your comment "The K-1 is good with its zoom, but with primes, I am not sure (for the said application)"... A good camera is a good camera regardless of the lenses you put on it.

Your choice of lenses and your own skill matter way more than the camera. From the gear perspective, the camera is largely irrelevant - any decent DSLR will do the job (really, it will).

EDIT: I'm beginning to wonder if what you really mean to ask is whether there is sufficient choice of prime lenses available for the K-1. If that's what you're really asking, then yes - the FA31, 43 and 77 are all outstanding, as is the DFA100. The FA50/1.4 and FA35/2 are excellent, too. Sigma also makes some great primes in K-mount. And then there are manual focus choices from the likes of Samyang if you want to keep the cost down. Also, there's a lot of great legacy glass. So lens choice is not an issue for this type of application...
Yes Mike, this is exactly I am thinking but I guess I still need to wait for the upcoming primes beacuse I still think that the FA limited trio lacks a wide aperture wide angle brother (20-24mm for my preferred application). A couple more months to go. (Fingers crossed)

01-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #23

K-1 would not make a good wedding camera if you are working in low light AND if you are low in budget. Sorry to upset Pentax fans but it is correct. You cannot take wedding photos where you need to catch moments with a manual lens so you need a solid 24-70mm f2.8. Still, low light focus capability of K1 is nowhere near even d700 (maybe slightly better than D610).
You don't need only high ISO capability, you also need to nail the focus when you need it.
A second hand 6D would be sufficient if you can work with center focus point, or a D700.
K1 is a brilliant camera if you don't need low light focus or fast action.
01-16-2017, 11:53 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ozturert Quote
Sorry to upset Pentax fans but it is correct
Have you shot a wedding with a K1?
01-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Have you shot a wedding with a K1?
I have shot with D700, 5DMarkII, 5DMarkIII, 5DMarkIV, D800, D810, A7RII and now I have K1. It is obvious that K1 cannot match Canikon's low light AF capabilities.
BUT, I think K1 is a better all-around camera than D810 (except from AF of course).
Oh but I haven't shot weddings with K1, if you want to know.
01-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Oh but I haven't shot weddings with K1
yes, that was my Q!.....Theres been some conjecture on this subject....and I suppose it'll go on.....I haven't shot a wedding either!
01-16-2017, 01:03 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 would not make a good wedding camera if you are working in low light AND if you are low in budget. Sorry to upset Pentax fans but it is correct. You cannot take wedding photos where you need to catch moments with a manual lens so you need a solid 24-70mm f2.8. Still, low light focus capability of K1 is nowhere near even d700 (maybe slightly better than D610).
You don't need only high ISO capability, you also need to nail the focus when you need it.
A second hand 6D would be sufficient if you can work with center focus point, or a D700.
K1 is a brilliant camera if you don't need low light focus or fast action.
The reality is that plenty of manual focus weddings have been shot. The reliance on af is a bit hilarious to me suggesting that people have forgotten how to shoot events quickly with manual focus.

But that said... You are right that proper lenses are needed. How expensive, I'm not sure since I don't shoot weddings. Yes there's some irony there...
01-16-2017, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

Late in 2016 I looked at some manually shot wedding photos from the early 1960s....black and white....the cameras/film/developing techniques were good back then...amazing shots
01-16-2017, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K-1 would not make a good wedding camera if you are working in low light AND if you are low in budget. Sorry to upset Pentax fans but it is correct. You cannot take wedding photos where you need to catch moments with a manual lens so you need a solid 24-70mm f2.8. Still, low light focus capability of K1 is nowhere near even d700 (maybe slightly better than D610)..
Why? What's the eV and aperture ratings of the d700?

The K-1 has f2.8 focus points, and are rated down to -3eV ... the D700 is only -1eV.

I have no problems focusing with the camera on things I can't see with my own eyes, and have no problem with either low light or fast action.

ISO 3200:

ISO 800:

Cyclist after a 60kmh sprint:

01-17-2017, 01:21 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Late in 2016 I looked at some manually shot wedding photos from the early 1960s....black and white....the cameras/film/developing techniques were good back then...amazing shots
But there were no PJ styled shoots then, mostly were staged (but great) images.

And Yes, camera is only part of the system, better glasses should also be considered.