Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
01-17-2017, 02:35 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Why? What's the eV and aperture ratings of the d700?

The K-1 has f2.8 focus points, and are rated down to -3eV ... the D700 is only -1eV.

I have no problems focusing with the camera on things I can't see with my own eyes, and have no problem with either low light or fast action.

ISO 3200:

ISO 800:

Cyclist after a 60kmh sprint:
You did not get my point.
K1 is not a sports or low light wedding camera. I groom and bride poses than that's another thing.
That cycling photo, my old 450D can take cycling photos in bright daylight.

01-17-2017, 02:48 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ozturert Quote
You did not get my point.
K1 is not a sports or low light wedding camera. I groom and bride poses than that's another thing.
That cycling photo, my old 450D can take cycling photos in bright daylight.
You are quite wrong, Oztuert.

Your 450D *cannot* focus at -3eV like the Pentax can.

I am not afraid to photograph sports or people in both bright and dark conditions, which you claim is impossible.
01-17-2017, 03:30 AM   #33

You are quite wrong, Oztuert.

Your 450D *cannot* focus at -3eV like the Pentax can.

I am not afraid to photograph sports or people in both bright and dark conditions, which you claim is impossible.
Is my English that bad? Did you take that cyclist photos at -3EV?
I can take regular sports photos with probably %25 success with 450D. That doesn't make it a sports or wedding camera. Now I'm not comparing K1 with 450 as K1's AF is way better than that.
Sorry to upset, I personally would not trust K1 for weddings. But for pre-wedding photos for albums where people wait and pose, K1 would do just excellent.
01-17-2017, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Now I'm not comparing K1 with 450 as K1's AF is way better than that..
Of course it is.

If you can't take a picture with the K-1 at a wedding or a sports event, give it to me and I'll do it for you, Ozturert.

01-18-2017, 02:51 AM   #35

Of course it is.

If you can't take a picture with the K-1 at a wedding or a sports event, give it to me and I'll do it for you, Ozturert.
I can, 1 or 2, or 3. Then I should switch to 7DMII as K1 cannot lock always. Locking AF under low light with K1 is similar to EM5, you can but cannot always depend on it.
I'm not sure if I can explain it any clearer.
Add: I'm not sure why Pentax users are so sensitive against criticism about their gadgets. It is what it is. These are just tools, we are not married to our cameras or lenses.
01-18-2017, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure why Pentax users are so sensitive against criticism about their gadgets. It is what it is. These are just tools, we are not married to our cameras or lenses
Quite true, just tools. Though in general we are not nearly as sensitive as some others. What we are sensitive about is the posting of inaccurate information by people who have not been there and done that. You say you cannot shoot a wedding with a K-1, that's fine. I'm sorry your skills are not up to the job but that's not the camera's fault. And then you say you have never actually tried, so then this is your opinion based on no real experience. I would have no issue shooting a wedding or most anything else with the k-1 but you do need to learn how to use the camera. And photographers coming from other brands generally assume Pentax works like what they are used to, but that is not always the case.
01-18-2017, 10:35 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Quite true, just tools. Though in general we are not nearly as sensitive as some others. What we are sensitive about is the posting of inaccurate information by people who have not been there and done that. You say you cannot shoot a wedding with a K-1, that's fine. I'm sorry your skills are not up to the job but that's not the camera's fault. And then you say you have never actually tried, so then this is your opinion based on no real experience. I would have no issue shooting a wedding or most anything else with the k-1 but you do need to learn how to use the camera. And photographers coming from other brands generally assume Pentax works like what they are used to, but that is not always the case.
^^^^^
This.

---------- Post added 01-19-17 at 12:37 AM ----------

Personally my lack of wedding experience would have my fearing failure with any equipment. But I think even manual focus shooting can easily cover a wedding with a practiced photog. I shot high school football with manual focus. People are spoiled.

01-18-2017, 11:53 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I have taken wedding photos with other cameras, and K1's AF in low light is not as good. I don't need to go and take wedding photos to comment on it.
01-19-2017, 12:18 AM   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I can, 1 or 2, or 3. Then I should switch to 7DMII as K1 cannot lock always. Locking AF under low light with K1 is similar to EM5, you can but cannot always depend on it.
I'm not sure if I can explain it any clearer.
Add: I'm not sure why Pentax users are so sensitive against criticism about their gadgets. It is what it is. These are just tools, we are not married to our cameras or lenses.
The 7DMII as a better wedding camera? You must be joking:

DxOMark Disappointed with the 7D Mark II; Sensor Lags Behind Some MFT Cameras at Base ISO

And the EM5 as having low light AF performance anywhere near the K-1 despite having no PDAF system? Do you realise that low light means low contrast?

I'm not sensitive to anyone criticising gadgets, I'm dismayed by someone who simply doesn't understand cameras, I'm afraid. (Thumb down)

Last edited by clackers; 01-19-2017 at 12:29 AM.
01-19-2017, 02:57 AM   #40

The 7DMII as a better wedding camera? You must be joking:

DxOMark Disappointed with the 7D Mark II; Sensor Lags Behind Some MFT Cameras at Base ISO

And the EM5 as having low light AF performance anywhere near the K-1 despite having no PDAF system? Do you realise that low light means low contrast?

I'm not sensitive to anyone criticising gadgets, I'm dismayed by someone who simply doesn't understand cameras, I'm afraid. (Thumb down)
Charts and numbers are only one side, the other and more important aspect is to TAKE the photo. 7DMII is probably 1-1.3 stops behind K1 in high ISO (say ISO3200 and above) but then 7DMII takes photo everytime I need.
But no 7DMII is not the best wedding camera, 5DMIV or 1DXII would be best.
I have used these cameras, have you?
01-19-2017, 03:54 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Charts and numbers are only one side, the other and more important aspect is to TAKE the photo. 7DMII is probably 1-1.3 stops behind K1 in high ISO (say ISO3200 and above) but then 7DMII takes photo everytime I need.
The best set of wedding photos I have seen was crowd-sourced. Guests brought their own camera along - from DSLR to smartphone - and pooled the results. The upshot is a lovely large-format book which gets in all the right kind of images because most people knew whom they were photographing and so the subjects were much more at ease. Happy memories. The classic formal wedding photography set-up sounds a bit old hat to me. Crowd sourcing is probably more effective. Besides, with all that champagne on offer at weddings it is clear that one may easily be moving into a horizontal situation at some stage, so having a crowd of other snappers around takes the strain

Nikon D750 or Canon 5D Mark IV? Something whose AF is good enough to nail the shot first time almost every time, anyway, but without 36 mpx files to have to process afterwards.

Last edited by mecrox; 01-19-2017 at 05:08 AM.
01-19-2017, 09:51 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have taken wedding photos with other cameras, and K1's AF in low light is not as good. I don't need to go and take wedding photos to comment on it.
Well, everyone is allowed an opinion. And if you cannot shoot a wedding with any particular camera again only you know your skill set.

I am curious though why you keep saying K-1 AF is not good in low light. Any test I have seen show the K-1 as better in low light than just about any other camera. It is one of it's strong suites. Now if you said the K-1 AF is not as fast as xyz camera, then OK that can be proven or not. And if you say that you cannot shoot a wedding with the K-1, OK that is your skill set. But you say the K-1 cannot cannot be used for weddings and that is demonstrably false. With the AF set up properly I get 95% plus in focus images, day in day out. In all sorts of light from studio strobes to pre-dawn blue light. I shoot almost every day in all sorts of environments so I have a fair amount of experience. I will not argue that other cameras might have a faster AF, but missed focus? If you are not getting 90% plus with the K-1 you are doing something wrong.
01-19-2017, 10:37 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a little confused. You haven't used the K-1 for this purpose - but you say it can't be. But then you says the important part is to take the photo since charts and numbers don't tell the story. If you would stop acting like you have the monopoly on knowledge and listen to the people using the K-1 for low light work - they are saying that they don't have problems shooting in these conditions. If you are having problems maybe asking for advice rather than assuming the camera sucks for this task is a good approach? I personally would assume that if others say that they CAN do this they may have helpful tips.
01-19-2017, 02:42 PM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm a little confused. You haven't used the K-1 for this purpose - but you say it can't be. But then you says the important part is to take the photo since charts and numbers don't tell the story. If you would stop acting like you have the monopoly on knowledge and listen to the people using the K-1 for low light work - they are saying that they don't have problems shooting in these conditions. If you are having problems maybe asking for advice rather than assuming the camera sucks for this task is a good approach? I personally would assume that if others say that they CAN do this they may have helpful tips.
I have taken wedding photos with other cameras, I have used K1 in low light, and I say I will not trust K1 for low light wedding ceremonies.
If anyone here uses K1 for wedding ceremonies in churches or dark party halls, then he/she is welcome to share experience.
01-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

With all due respect, by the false statements you've made so far, they don't seem to have taught you anything.