Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
FUJI is a 4 letter word...

Fujifilm GFX :: The True Story About a Secret Meeting (and Test) That Convinced Fujifilm to Go Medium Format - Fuji Rumors

SO, that's how they did it?

Last edited by surfar; 01-17-2017 at 08:13 PM.
01-17-2017, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird .... I thought I saw this in another thread ??
01-17-2017, 08:12 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
You did, but this is for the benefit of Fuji Aps-c shooters who don't look in MF section.
01-17-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In bref, they were inspired by the Pentax 645Z

01-18-2017, 12:05 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The waffle has well and truly begun.
01-18-2017, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Oh, come on! This is the kind of marketingspeak that makes my dinner come back up

"Fujifilm took a RAW file of the Medium Format Pentax 645z and processed it using their unique image X processing engine. And guess what? The image quality Fujifilm got out of the Pentax RAW file was already superior to the original Pentax image simply by applying their own image processing algorithm."

So actually Fuji could have avoided building factories, investing in manufacturing workforce, quality controls etc. by just purchasing a few thousand 645z's from Pentax and "upgrading" them with already existing firmware, right? Seems silly now to build a factory?

"At the end of the day, Fujifilm’s magic trinity (processor – customized MF sensor – GF lenses) will very likely raise quite a bit the bar for Medium Format 33×44 sensors"

No, so magic is real? It exists? And in a holy trinity, no less (I can hear some echoes there...). What this does say is "Fuji does exactly the same other camera companies do, with minor tweaks, and is convinced it results in a decent piece of kit" (no need to thank me for translation)
01-18-2017, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
"Fujifilm took a RAW file of the Medium Format Pentax 645z and processed it using their unique image X processing engine. And guess what? The image quality Fujifilm got out of the Pentax RAW file was already superior to the original Pentax image simply by applying their own image processing algorithm."
They compare a processed image with a Raw image and are proud that the processed one looks better <= they deserve a patent for this finding !!!

01-18-2017, 05:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Djeezz Our pics look better because of our processing is a totally subjective. They are trying to delude people.
01-18-2017, 06:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
They compare a processed image with a Raw image and are proud that the processed one looks better <= they deserve a patent for this finding !!!
What is so amazing is that millions of shooters worldwide never figured this out before the "Fuji Awakening".

Regards!
01-18-2017, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But what camera wouldn't this be true for? If you take a D810 RAW file and then post process it, you would hope the resulting image would be at least a little better.
01-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster

---------- Post added 01-19-17 at 07:07 AM ----------

Fuji release is today.
01-19-2017, 10:48 PM   #12
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Do we know anything about the technical qualifications of the guys who wrote this article?? When I first in the statement in question
QuoteQuote:
The image quality Fujifilm got out of the Pentax RAW file was already superior to the original Pentax image simply by applying their own image processing algorithm.
I thought "original Pentax image" referred to the JPEG image created by the Pentax camera ... but I would agree it is unclear. That is also probably irrelevant, because I guessing that most customers of cameras at that level would do their own raw processing, and wouldn't compare JPEG images when deciding which camera to purchase.
01-19-2017, 10:55 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
That is also probably irrelevant, because I guessing that most customers of cameras at that level would do their own raw processing, and wouldn't compare JPEG images when deciding which camera to purchase.
If a poll of Fuji MF users were taken two years from now it would not surprise me if a 1/3 of all images taken and subsequently used were jpegs, for varous reasons. I could imagine a lot of wedding stuff for example.... you know... really good photographers, doing what they do day in day out, great jpeg engine.... time is money sort of thing. Maybe, quite a productivity play.... in a way...especially with their smaller format thrown in.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-19-2017 at 11:22 PM.
01-20-2017, 03:38 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
If a poll of Fuji MF users were taken
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
now
itll tell you that plenty do very little PP....thats the impression i get from reading their forum.
01-20-2017, 03:54 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
itll tell you that plenty do very little PP....thats the impression i get from reading their forum.
Doesn't surprise me. Lots of people spend big on gear that just gives them want they want and enjoy... as opposed to some other ultimate outcome.

Last edited by noelpolar; 01-20-2017 at 04:01 AM.