Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2017, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Got a chance to play with a prototype Fujifilm GFX 50S

During my time at B&H today, I got a chance to try out a prototype Fujifilm GFX 50S with a Fujinon GF 32-64mm f/4 on it. I haven't spent much time with it so I can't really say much, but here are some first impressions:
  • The camera and lens felt solid but not too heavy, and fit my hand like a glove. I didn't have much trouble holding it steadily.
  • Operation is similar to high-end Fujifilm X-series cameras, with traditional mechanical controls on the lens and top plate. A joystick is used to select the AF point. I did not have the time to go through the menus or explore the camera UI, but I don't think Pentax users will have much trouble learning how to operate it.
  • I've never really spent much time handling medium-format digital cameras before, so I didn't know what to expect in terms of resolution. I was just floored at the level of detail I was able to get, even in the somewhat dark environment of the B&H photo department.
  • The GF 32-64mm is insanely sharp. The lens was able to resolve almost the full resolution of the sensor across much of the frame wide open, while producing wonderful bokeh. I did not perform more extensive testing, though.
  • AF was quick and decisive, and proved to be dead on accurate as you would expect for contrast detection.
  • The OLED EVF was very clear and sharp, with next to no lag.
  • The blackout time between shots was longer than I was used to. Clearly, this is not going to be a camera you would want to use for fast action. Then again, this is a medium-format camera...
From my brief time playing with the prototype, it's clear Fujifilm has hit all the right notes with the GFX 50S. I wonder how Pentax will respond to this—perhaps an updated 645Z and more lenses over the coming months?

Draco

Last edited by bwDraco; 02-08-2017 at 09:44 PM.
02-08-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems all Pentax has left going for it in this department is the tried and true nature of its system and the maturity of its lens lineup. We're in trouble here, and Ricoh have their work cut out for them.
02-08-2017, 11:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That sounds really nice. I hope Pentax can surprise us with something to compete with it.
02-08-2017, 11:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have always been very impressed with the quality of Fuji's lenses and sensors. Even my two Fuji compacts ( F10 and the incredibly well featured F550EXR with GPS ) produce great results. What you have just said, sounds familiar to me regarding the performance of this new model.

02-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I couldn't agree more with a number of comments from Draco.

A local camera shop had one in today with a couple Fuji reps, I had to check it out. I was able to ask questions and compare it with my 645z.

My impression was that Fuji did an awesome job with the camera, I don't see myself giving up the z for it though.

here are a couple of my thoughts walking away from a quick demo/test of it in store.

I thought the Lenses were quite bulky and heavy. the detail from them and the feel were great though. I like the thought that all of their lenses were new design, WR, and had image stabilization. Looks like Fuji is going to have adapters to all of the other brands including pentax. The one part that hit me was the fact the rep told me they will even have adapter for micro for thirds mount? ( we were both confused on how that was going to work though). They also have an adapter for their leaf shutter lenses. The lenses were designed to be able to work with a 100 MP sensor. Although I mentioned this, I could not get over the weight of the lenses. I would hate to have to carry a couple of those lenses on a long hike. I like the weight and size of the pentax lenses more, with that said I haven't dealt with any zoom lenses for pentax, just the prime lenses. I would think the z with a couple lenses would be lighter then the Fuji with a couple lenses.

As far as the body goes, I was a fan. I thought it felt great in hands(more so then the z) and made you want to have better technique while shooting, especially with the left hand. I loved the touch screen the Fuji had, and I really like the joy stick to change focus points. there are a few complaints I have though, I have heard Fuji having issues with their bodies before with the grips and I would think that there will be people having issues with the GFX as well. Also I was not a fan of the dials and on/off switch. I felt like they went on the cheap with that as well. I think they could have maybe moved a couple of the buttons on the back to make it nice for someone to use BBF.

I know I will be renting one eventually to give a full test of it in relation to the Z, but I cant help but say Fuji did a great job

Oh and a side note, I found it odd that the reps said that their camera crashed a few times earlier this morning. I know it is still running the preproduction software, but hopefully it wont be an issue down the road.

Will be looking forward to see what Ricoh does in the future for an update to the Z.

Oh and one last thing as far as size. the GFX with the 32-64mm lens, is a little smaller combo then the K-1 with the 15-30 mm lens.
02-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ricoh is either going to go to a full sized 645 sensor or add IBIS (pixel shift) to the 645 line. The Ricoh 645 line still has a lot of head room to grow into. They need better glass ASAP.
02-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Looks like Fuji is going to have adapters to all of the other brands including pentax.
As a 645D user that could win me over if the price is right. I've got lenses I like and I enjoy using the D but have been thinking about a Z as prices come closer to my range. If my lens collection could work well enough on the Fuji and give me a better value I'd definitely consider it.