Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2017, 05:57 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
For all PDAF cameras I'm aware of , the center points are the most sensitive and the most accurate. That's why even Canon users use the center point when they want focus to be spot on. A lot of Canon users don't use the extra points 99.9% of the time, it's no different from Pentax users. Some years ago, a friend of mine, landscape photog, who had a Pentax told me "I'm going to buy a Nikon", so , I asked him why? He said "Nikon have more AF point, they have 51 AF points, Pentax only has 11". I asked him "How many of the 11 points do you use?", he said "Ah, I use the center point", them I said "if you don't use 11 points, what for would you need 51 points?". He still using his Pentax cam and he is happy.

The funny thing is, 80% of Pentax users pointing out better AF of Canikon , don't actually shoot things that require fast AF. It's just envy, my neighbor has that, so I want the same...
I have to agree. 99% of the time I only use the centre focus point. Lock on focus, move the camera to compose the shot and shoot. Perhaps this stems from my SFX and SFXn shooting days where that was the only way to do it. It has become such a natural thing to do that I really don't understand the need for 51, 27 or whatever number focus points. 5-9 or 1 is fine; I just need those few (or one) to be accurate!

02-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #47
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I have to agree. 99% of the time I only use the centre focus point. Lock on focus, move the camera to compose the shot and shoot. Perhaps this stems from my SFX and SFXn shooting days where that was the only way to do it. It has become such a natural thing to do that I really don't understand the need for 51, 27 or whatever number focus points. 5-9 or 1 is fine; I just need those few (or one) to be accurate!
I function this way too normally.

However for events (such as a 5k or car race) it doesn't work well to use center point focus when you want a stream of shots. It is much better to let the camera do the tracking.. That is when those high count focus point AF systems come into play.

We cannot dismiss the claims with made up percentages just to support ones own view either (not you the post to which you initially responded). Because we all know 59.87% of numbers are made up on the spot.

Last edited by mee; 02-15-2017 at 07:08 PM.
02-15-2017, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've noticed on 35mm that having those extra AF points can be useful for shallow depth of field portraits, where recomposing the shot throws the closest eye out of focus.
02-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And I wouldn't know what to do with the Fuji FGX PDAF 117 points ... nor with its CDAF 25 points ...
That's a lot of points !

02-15-2017, 07:43 PM   #50
mee
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
And I wouldn't know what to do with the Fuji FGX PDAF 117 points ... nor with its CDAF 25 points ...
That's a lot of points !
You let the camera lock focus and then it scans through the focus points as the subject moves through the view. automatically.
02-15-2017, 08:15 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
You let the camera lock focus and then it scans through the focus points as the subject moves through the view. automatically.
Like you're telling the camera to ignore objects other than the one you have focus on? ... tracking?
Is that all there is to it?
02-15-2017, 08:23 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Like you're telling the camera to ignore objects other than the one you have focus on? ... tracking?
Is that all there is to it?
Pretty much. I've done it with my K-1 for birds.