Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 07:54 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote
Since its a full frame lens I think 14mm in full frame terms. UWA is typically a astro-landscape lens and like normal landscape, 14mm on FF (or 9-10mm on APS-C) is quite extreme in my opinion. It has its nice, but its not the most common.
Mm, maybe it's personal preference. I see UWA astro on my 500px feed a lot, 12mm to 16mm seems to be the popular choices.
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC Review – Lonely Speck - reviewer shoots a lot of astro

02-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't understand why exactly the Samyang 14mm is so popular compared to their full frame 12mm f/2,8.

I have a Samyang 8mm f/3,5 for APS-C, but Its not very often I find I landscapes that suits so wide angle. I like panoramas (1:2 - 1:4) but I prefer to stitch several images and get lots of megapixels in stead of cropping the top and bottom from the UWA and get few megapixels.

UWA astrophoto = landscape + the milky way. Its a nice subject, but I think astrophoto is more then that. Planets, nebulas, Andromeda and more. All those are photographed much better with longer focal lengths.
02-24-2017, 04:25 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I don't understand why exactly the Samyang 14mm is so popular compared to their full frame 12mm f/2,8.

I have a Samyang 8mm f/3,5 for APS-C, but Its not very often I find I landscapes that suits so wide angle. I like panoramas (1:2 - 1:4) but I prefer to stitch several images and get lots of megapixels in stead of cropping the top and bottom from the UWA and get few megapixels.

UWA astrophoto = landscape + the milky way. Its a nice subject, but I think astrophoto is more then that. Planets, nebulas, Andromeda and more. All those are photographed much better with longer focal lengths.
Isn't their 12mm a fisheye? Not everyone wants that look. I'm enjoying the 14mm quite a bit.

As for longer focal lengths - what kind of lenses would you use?
02-25-2017, 05:17 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Isn't their 12mm a fisheye? Not everyone wants that look. I'm enjoying the 14mm quite a bit.

As for longer focal lengths - what kind of lenses would you use?
Ahh, of course. Fisheye.

For astrophoto landscapes I use a Sigma 18-35mm f/1,8. Its got incredible low coma for such a large aperture.

02-25-2017, 07:43 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Ahh, of course. Fisheye.

For astrophoto landscapes I use a Sigma 18-35mm f/1,8. Its got incredible low coma for such a large aperture.
So you're using a crop mode? Or a crop body? Unfortunately I don't have a pro zoom (not sure how good they are for astro).
02-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I'm using it on a K-5. Saving up for K-1. Not sure if I will sell this lens and replace it with a prime or use it in full frame mode (manually cropping in stead of auto 1,5x crop).
02-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I'm using it on a K-5. Saving up for K-1. Not sure if I will sell this lens and replace it with a prime or use it in full frame mode (manually cropping in stead of auto 1,5x crop).
Mm, so I guess I need to look at 20-35mm primes, 1.8 or faster. Maybe the Rokinon 20 1.8
But I'll use the 14 2.8 for now, before heavily investing into astro

02-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member

A fine thing about astro is that subject movement is small and predictable. I see you have a DA50 that covers full frame. Take a few shots with that and stitch them together to get a 20-35mm FoV.

Your Tamron 70-200 f/2,8 will also be useful for more deep sky objects.

The K-1 astro tracer function is very useful.

Take a look at the astrophotography group here at PF, especially Pete_XL's posts for inspiration and tips. There are also a PF article series about astrophotography that is very useful and inspiring.
02-25-2017, 01:11 PM   #39
Veteran Member

A fine thing about astro is that subject movement is small and predictable. I see you have a DA50 that covers full frame. Take a few shots with that and stitch them together to get a 20-35mm FoV.

Your Tamron 70-200 f/2,8 will also be useful for more deep sky objects.

The K-1 astro tracer function is very useful.

Take a look at the astrophotography group here at PF, especially Pete_XL's posts for inspiration and tips. There are also a PF article series about astrophotography that is very useful and inspiring.
Will do, need to read up on theory before warm summer nights come