Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-24-2017, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Punkie Made Me Do It

After seeing many of Punkies photos (a Brit on another forum I post on), I've been wanting a certain little camera he's been using.

I put some of my old film cameras up for sale to raise enough money and finally won a bid on a very nice example of this camera.

The Fuji X100S.

I got it a couple days ago. Right when I opened the package and saw the camera for the first time in person, I knew I would love this little camera.

Picking it up and using it really reminds me of some of my favorite film cameras. The all metal body and rangefinder like viewfinder makes it a lot of fun to use.

I took it out this morning and took a couple of photos on my way to work.

I'm partial to Black and White work, but I'm sure to use this camera for a lot of color photography as I really like how the special sensor produces color in this camera. Many people have compared the color photos to film and I agree.

I'm going to start getting into street photography and this little camera is what I'll use. I'm sure it will be a lot less conspicuous than my D600 or other large cameras. When I showed the camera to my family, they all thought it was an old film camera.

So, thanks to Punkie, you made me spend a few hundred dollars, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it for many years.

02-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Some very nice shots there! Fine camera, enjoy!
Regards!
02-25-2017, 02:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Rupert.

Well, I didn't get into the mountains today, maybe tomorrow.

I did use the X100S today though. My dog Freyja was begging me for a walk. As soon as she saw the leash, she was ready.

Now, my dog, she doesn't like me taking photos of her. She normally turns her back to me or walks away anytime I try to take a photo of her. It is different with this camera though for some reason. Maybe it is just that it is small, not a large DSLR with a huge lens. Anyway I was able to get photos of her that I normally can't get, and it was easy!

I am experimenting with this camera, still learning how to use it. I am shooting wide open, or nearly and using very high shutter speeds. Since it has a leaf shutter, I am using the onboard flash for fill lighting with this bright noonday sun. All these are shot at between F2 and F4 with 1/2000sec shutter speed and auto ISO with fill flash.

I see I need to use a little less flash, but overall I really like it! These would look much different with the harsh noonday sun. I couldn't do this with any of my other cameras, except for my large and medium format film cameras. Most digital cameras use a curtain shutter, so flash speeds are limited to 1/200 sec. This camera can use flash all the way up to its maximum 1/4000 sec shutter speed.

I am using the Astia Soft film simulator for these shots.

Freyja back at home.

02-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I have lusted after one of these since they were introduced. The X100f is a staggering £1249 in the UK with the older models holding their value well in the used market.

02-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Fuji 100 series make great walk around...and retain their value.The bargain Fuji is the XE1,still pocketable and compact with the highly regarded 27mm.
03-05-2017, 10:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I took the X100S to this weekends MULTIGP race.

Here are a few photos from the race.

I really like the rich colors this camera captures!