Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 05:49 PM   #16
amp

Original Poster
I haven't looked at that e-m1.
I think I prefer the em10ii because of its size.
So many good choices.

02-27-2017, 05:50 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Isn't EM1 is almost as the size of the K-5/K-3? although it would be lighter.
Mm, I haven't held k-5/3, but when I got my k-1 the size difference was massive. Em1 always felt small to me compared to any dslr I've tried side by side, even my parents canon sl1 is a bigger camera.
02-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Last fall I bought a new E-M10 for 400 bucks including the two kit lens'. and I'm a happy camper.
Works fine as general purpose walk around and on the back end of the 560mm.

See:
Nikon Experiences 'Extraordinary Losses,' Will Restructure Company - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com
02-27-2017, 06:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Olympus omd em ii, anybody have it? Thoughts

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Is there anything you miss from the K-3 now that you've traded it in? I see both Adorama and Bhphotovideo have the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II for $549 including 14-42mm lens. Is that a good price?

Short answer not really. Dont get me wrong the k3 is an awesome camera, but it really wasnt serving a purpose for me anymore saying i have the k-1. With that said and i had to pick between the k-3 and the omd em5ii knowing what i know now, id pick the olympus.

Now this is subjective but here are the reasons i like the olympus and the items i liked with the k-3

Olympus
Smaller
Great image quality
Touch screen ( focus, take pictures)
Wifi
Better autofocus
Less work in pp
Better lens selection
Better video
Still has weather sealing
More selection for aspect ratios
Flip screen

K-3
Larger
Better for larger lenses
Better dynamic range
Raw images are easy to mess with
Menu easier to navigate
Better for night shots

It is of course subjective though also those two cameras serve different purposes and are for different uses. I haven't used bbf on the Olympus which i like doing

Last edited by Fcsnt54; 02-27-2017 at 06:23 PM.
02-27-2017, 07:31 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I use the EM10 II as my main digital at the moment. I usually use the Voigtlander 25mm Nokton which is a fantastic lens but large and manual focus. I'm pretty happy with the camera but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with m43 because the lenses are pretty expensive IMO.

Also I agree that it is not a good camera for low light situations.

I too got the 2 lens kit and I'm not impressed with the normal kit lens but I think the telephoto lens is fantastic. I also have the 45mm 1.8 and fisheye body cap lens and like them both.

I got a Pentax adapter but never use it.

You can post process the raw files in camera.
02-27-2017, 08:34 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't think I would replace my K-3 with the Olympus. It would supplement my K-3 and be a great light travel camera. I don't use my DA*200 telephoto lens much on the K-3 so i could sell that even for a brand spanking new Olympus OM-D E 10 MarkII. So essentially I trade my rarely used telephoto lens for the Olympus. Sounds good in theory anyway
02-27-2017, 08:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I don't think I would replace my K-3 with the Olympus. It would supplement my K-3 and be a great light travel camera. I don't use my DA*200 telephoto lens much on the K-3 so i could sell that even for a brand spanking new Olympus OM-D E 10 MarkII. So essentially I trade my rarely used telephoto lens for the Olympus. Sounds good in theory anyway

The decision was easy for me when i traded it in. Something about having a shiny k-1 made the decision easier. Also the Olympus was really the replacement for the sony i had, just the k-3 trade in paid for olympus.

02-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
The decision was easy for me when i traded it in. Something about having a shiny k-1 made the decision easier. Also the Olympus was really the replacement for the sony i had, just the k-3 trade in paid for olympus.
I can understand why you would trade the K-3 in since you purchased the K-1. No need to have 2 similar sized camera's unless you're shooting weddings and you need two bodies.
02-28-2017, 09:54 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I purchased an E-PL1 four and a half years ago and converted it to IR. After my K-5 suffered an injury and had to be sent to a camera hospital for several months, I picked up an E-M5 to serve as a back-up. The E-M5, and later the E-M5ii, evolved into my cameras for hand-held use. I have found the 5 axis stabilization of OM-D bodies to be significantly superior to what I have in my K-5iis. Consequently, at least for non wildlife photography, 99% of my work is done with a tripod. But with my OM-D, I rarely use a tripod. I have gotten tack sharp images (at 12mm) even at half a second exposure (even though at half a second, you'll get more misses than hits). So for a compact camera for hand-held photography, it's hard to beat the 5-axis O-MD cameras.
My biggest frustration with m43 is the lack of high quality compact zoom lenses. I find the high quality zoom lenses too heavy for the compact E-M5 cameras. If I'm going to shoot a largish lens, I'd prefer to match it with a larger, heavier body, for better balance and handling. But there are plenty of compact consumer grade zooms (some of them pretty decent for consumer grade glass) in m43. And also plenty of high quality compact primes.

Compared to Pentax, I would say the Olympus system is superior in terms of IBIS, compact size, and possibly in terms of lens sharpness (although differences when comparing comparable quality lenses is very very small), but in most other respects, Pentax is better. Pentax cameras are better made, with superior build quality, superior ergonomics and handling, more photographer-centric menus, controls, and options, and more durable. I have shot, via converters, Pentax glass on the E-M5. They're still fine lenses, but they don't work as well on m43 as they do on Pentax cameras. The colors are different (and not as good), and on the 4/3rds sensor, they're not as sharp as comparable m43 glass. However, if you put the Pentax lenses back on Pentax cameras, where they belong, then suddenly they're nearly as sharp, with better color rendition, better rendering of tactile objects, and better overall real image quality (i.e., the images look better). Images from my K-5iis also enjoy significantly better DR and high ISO performance. Indeed, judging from what I've seen from my own use, I would say that the DXO numbers on the m43 cameras are a bit inflated. There is measured performance and than there is real world performance, and the two don't always line up with perfect accordance.

As usual, YMMV. Estimation of image quality is subjective, and there are many people who are perfectly content with the quality of m43 consumer grade glass and what the OM-D cameras can provide at ISO 1600 or even higher.
02-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
My biggest frustration with m43 is the lack of high quality compact zoom lenses.
Have you had a chance to try out the kit lens 14-42mm? How sharp is it? For $550 the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II with kit lens is a temping target to play around with.
02-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Have you had a chance to try out the kit lens 14-42mm? How sharp is it? For $550 the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II with kit lens is a temping target to play around with.
I have tried the Oly 14-42 kit lens. It's decently sharp, not bad at all, although certainly not on the same level as premium or pro glass. With kit and consumer grade glass, you're not going to get much sharpness along the edges and corners. Pro and premium glass is maybe 20 to 40 percent sharper, with better edge to edge performance, better contrast and overall image reproduction. I tried quite a few of the consumer grade lenses from both Olympus and Panasonic. The best of the one's I tried is the Panasonic 12-32/3.5-5.6. However, I was never fully satisfied with any of the consumer grade m43 glass (I could say the same of consumer grade glass in general -- not that m43 is any worse in this respect), and have moved to shooting mostly with primes and the mid-range Pany 45-175.

Incidentally, from what I've seen, Panasonic makes better consumer grade glass than Olympus. The Pany 12-60/3.5-5.6, 12-32, and 14-140 v2 are better than any of Olympus' consumer grade glass (with the sole exception of the Oly 9-18, which is more of a mid-range offering, in any case).
02-28-2017, 12:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I personally haven't tried any zooms with my m43 kit, only primes. Ones I had at one point or another - Oly 17 1.8, Panasonic Leica 25 1.4, Oly 45 1.8, Samyang 12 f2, Samyang 85 1.4, a combo of LensTurbo II & Samyang 10 2.8, and same vintage lenses I have in my sig (kept all of those). 45 1.8 is a gem of a lens, cheap, very small and light, perfect for portraiture. I ended up selling 17 1.8 for PL 25 1.4, but it was an awesome lens too, very nicely built (full metal) and plenty fast for street at night. PL 25 1.4 is a great fifty, nice and fast (although I've seen people complain that it's too big for m43, it was fine for my EM1, but I guess if kit size is a priority I'd go for another fifty). Samyang 12 f2 is so damn sharp and nice, it's an incredible wide lens, sharp across the frame wide open, by 5.6 it's too sharp I really wanted to try pro zooms, but ended up switching systems, so haven't had the chance.
02-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
I have tried the Oly 14-42 kit lens. It's decently sharp, not bad at all, although certainly not on the same level as premium or pro glass
So basically I'd have to buy the camera for $499 and spend an extra $399 on a prime lens like the 25mm or 45mm to get decent sharpness. That's $800 for something I may or may not use on a regular basis. I might have to pass on this one
02-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #29
Veteran Member

So basically I'd have to buy the camera for $499 and spend an extra $399 on a prime lens like the 25mm or 45mm to get decent sharpness. That's $800 for something I may or may not use on a regular basis. I might have to pass on this one
Why not get second hand? They are pretty tough cameras, with magnesium alloy bodies. Shutters are all designed for 100k +. You can have a look at mu-43 forum, in buy and sell section, a ton of gear goes on sale there. I sold my kit between that forum and eBay
02-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #30
Pentaxian

So basically I'd have to buy the camera for $499 and spend an extra $399 on a prime lens like the 25mm or 45mm to get decent sharpness
That depends on how you define "decent sharpness." If you're looking for sharpness comparable to medium to high-end Pentax glass on APS-C then, yes, the Oly 14-42 isn't at that level.