Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2017, 01:10 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
So basically I'd have to buy the camera for $499 and spend an extra $399 on a prime lens like the 25mm or 45mm to get decent sharpness. That's $800 for something I may or may not use on a regular basis. I might have to pass on this one
You should have a search on Flickr, or review websites, see if level of sharpness is acceptable for what you're buying. Any system has this issue) cheap glass is usually mediocre and you pay premium for sharpness, except ff glass is generally more expensive (compare ff to MFT prices in equivalent fov's)

02-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Why not get second hand?
Because BHphotovideo and Adorama sale prices are so cheap I might as well buy new! It would have to be $300 used with camera and lens to make it worth my while and I just don't see them that cheap used.

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
That depends on how you define "decent sharpness." If you're looking for sharpness comparable to medium to high-end Pentax glass on APS-C then, yes, the Oly 14-42 isn't at that level.
Ok now you are convincing me to try the kit lens. I think $549 for this camera and kit lens is a steal.
02-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #33
amp

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Have you had a chance to try out the kit lens 14-42mm? How sharp is it? For $550 the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II with kit lens is a temping target to play around with.
I was thinking the same myself. The kit lens is conveniently small and portable. The reviews are pretty good, and I would assume that that would include the kit lens.
02-28-2017, 03:24 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by amp Quote
I was thinking the same myself. The kit lens is conveniently small and portable. The reviews are pretty good, and I would assume that that would include the kit lens.
Yes it includes the kit lens. Both Adorama and bhphotovideo have it for the same price.