Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 10:12 AM   #1

Olympus omd em ii, anybody have it? Thoughts

Anybody have the above mentioned camera? If so, what are your thoughts? Pros/cons?
I'm thinking a camera like this will better fit my needs than a full-frame.
Any thought/info about this and any similar camera would be appreciated!

02-27-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amp Quote
Anybody have the above mentioned camera? If so, what are your thoughts? Pros/cons?
I'm thinking a camera like this will better fit my needs than a full-frame.
Any thought/info about this and any similar camera would be appreciated!
I'm not sure which model you are looking at or what you plan to be doing with the camera, but I have the Olympus omd Em5 ii and I have been very happy with it. Great for travel, its small(with a pancake zoom or event he 25mm lenses you can place in a pocket), has great image quality where you don't have to do much pp if you don't want to, you have a great amount of control when it comes to quickly changing shutter speed and aperture, I find it very comfortable in hand, the touch screen is another nice feature, and I like the EVF on it. there are a good number of lens selection spread out between Panasonic and Olympus, oh and it came with a small detachable flash. The video is very nice on it as well, even though I don't use the video function that often. The body is also weather sealed.

One gripe that I have with it though is low light, you are better off going with maybe something larger if you plan on going places that have dark shadows and you either don't want to bring the flash or cant use flash. Well I guess I have one more when it comes to the sensitivity of the eye detection, its a little too sensitive when something goes close to the eye piece the back screen turns off. I equate that to more me not changing the settings maybe?

some people will mention the menu system is a little bit cumbersome or confusing, but I don't think its that bad I just have to remember sometimes where some of the features are situated.

if you have any more questions feel free to ask.

oh I forgot to mention that the AF is decent for following around family members and kids and it helps with the touch screen. In relation to full frame they both serve their purposes as many will like to say, but if you don't want to carry around something big and bulky and aren't planning on printing large pictures, you cant go wrong with a m43 camera

Last edited by Fcsnt54; 02-27-2017 at 10:33 AM.
02-27-2017, 10:56 AM   #3
amp

Original Poster
Sorry, I didn't put the full model number. I was talking about the Olympus omd em10ii.
Thanks for your input.
It would mainly be for travel and taking some pics here and there during the day of people, places and the like.
I'm curious if there is any Pentax to Olympus lens' converters?
How's the dynamic range of your model?
As far as cumbersome menus go, the Nikon d7200 is pretty complex. So, I'm able to navigate if I have to.
Thanks so much.
02-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry, I didn't put the full model number. I was talking about the Olympus omd em10ii.

Thanks for your input.

It would mainly be for travel and taking some pics here and there during the day of people, places and the like.

I'm curious if there is any Pentax to Olympus lens' converters?

How's the dynamic range of your model?

As far as cumbersome menus go, the Nikon d7200 is pretty complex. So, I'm able to navigate if I have to.

Thanks so much.

The two models are pretty identical. Main difference is the weather sealing which i wanted and a little bit different of a grip but other then that not by much. As far as the dynamic range goes it is alright, but i havent really checked it out too much. When i first got the camera i took it on a family trip to the aquarium and it didnt do so well inside of a dark room with little bit of light. In that case i wish i had grabbed either the flash or the k1 and brought it with me, also i didnt have a lens that had a larger aperture then 3.5. Ive since gotten a 25 mm 1.8 and it does better and i pretty much leave that on the camera.

Im pretty sure there are converters, but i havent looked into them. I did buy a macro which i like, but the main reason why i got the camera was to have something small, and compact where i could place it in a jacket pocket when needed. It really fits the billet for a travel camera though. Also the image quality is good.

Yeah so as far as cameras go

Olympus- travel, work, family/friends photos, place in glove box always with me

Pentax k1/645z- more for me, sometimes family, landscape/night photography, outdoors, and high dynamic range

I do use all of them depending on situations, and i cant really say which one i like better.

02-27-2017, 11:34 AM   #5
amp

Original Poster
Great info. I really appreciate it.
I have a k3, which I'm pretty happy with but sometimes I wish I had something even smaller.
I thought about the k1, but it's surely overkill in my case.
One last silly question. What kind of creative filters can you apply after the photo has been taken? I know there are art filters, but I'm more interested in what I can do to the photos after they're taken. Can you apply multiple filters to the same picture, ie crop, brighten/darken, watersketch etc? Pentax is good that way. I know on my past Nikon's I was restricted to one filter and that's it! I ask because I don't do PP on the computer, just in camera. I like goofing around.
Anyway, thanks again.
02-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great info. I really appreciate it.

I have a k3, which I'm pretty happy with but sometimes I wish I had something even smaller.

I thought about the k1, but it's surely overkill in my case.

One last silly question. What kind of creative filters can you apply after the photo has been taken? I know there are art filters, but I'm more interested in what I can do to the photos after they're taken. Can you apply multiple filters to the same picture, ie crop, brighten/darken, watersketch etc? Pentax is good that way. I know on my past Nikon's I was restricted to one filter and that's it! I ask because I don't do PP on the computer, just in camera. I like goofing around.

Anyway, thanks again.

Um not too sure on the filters saying i have never done it, as far as checking on the camera.... Pretty much the same as taking pictures in jpeg. Also looks like you can check multiple boxes of filters if in doubt you can always add the two pictures together with the different filters if you cant add them to a single image in camera

Popart
Soft focus
Pale and light color
Light tone
Grainy film
Pinhole
Diorama
Black and white
Etc... (too many to write)

Also you can create a custom edit and you can edit your pictures in camera such as red eye, cropping, shadow adjust, aspect ratio, black and white, and saturation.

---------- Post added 02-27-17 at 12:57 PM ----------

Oh and i had the k-3 and this is the camera i traded it in for. I wasnt using the k-3 as much and it was too big for my travel camera.
02-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used the old flagship of the lineup for about 3 years (EM1), was very happy with it. I think sensor performance is about equal across the lineup, with maybe only the newest EM1 II stepping up a bit. Very capable system, in fact I really liked shooting in the dark with it, with a fast lens (Olympus 17 1.8 or panaleica 25 1.4) you can get away with iso 1600 and slow-ish shutter speed due to an excellent in body stabilization (I find it worked better than my current K-1 ibis, maybe because there was no hard slap of the mirror when shutter goes off). There's a massive amount of lenses already out, new ones being developed as well. The only real gap in the lens line up is fast UWA primes, I had to use a focal reducer/adapter with the samyang 10 2.8 to get an equivalent of 16mm, but it was a pretty damn big setup, I had to balance it out with a grip, which made it pretty much the same size as apsc body with a big prime. Anyway, iq wise it's very good, I think you'd need to go to a full frame body to notice significant increase in quality.

02-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is it to compliment or replace your K-3?

If to compliment have you looked at the Pentax Q series? Tiny, weighs nothing, same UI as the K-3 but is really built as a creative tool above all else and very affordable right now.
That's what I reach for when I don't want to carry a K camera.

For replacement and downsizing though the Olympus line is very appealing. May be worth taking a look at Fuji as well which would give you APS-C sensor performance.
The Ricoh GR line is also worth looking at. APS-C performance in a compact package.
02-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #9
amp

Original Poster
I guess you could say it would be complimenting my k3. I'm just not crazy about carrying a lot of equipment. I'd also prefer to be a little less conspicuous when street shooting. Something else that appeals to me is the integrated wifi. I like to be able to quickly transfer a picture or two after the day's shooting is done.
02-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I used to own the original EM5 and it was a wonderful camera. At the time I owned it, a Nikon D600, and the K5. I sold it eventually for the K3.

The Olympus stuff is very good, I like the files, but I think the color is a little flatter than Pentax overall. It is the near pocketable nature of the camera I miss the most. The lens selection is amazing and very good value, there is something there for everyone. I'm personally in love with the olympus 45mm 1.8 and the panasonic summilux 25mm f1.4. I shot Protest the Hero when they were on tour about 6 years ago with the EM5II with those two lenses and was very happy with what I got.

The EM10 mkii would be better I assume.

The big question is... what needs does it fill? What holes does it fill compared to your current Pentax kit?

I used to own a ton of gear... I sold a lot of it off and now whenever I'm looking at gear I'm asking myself "what does this do for me that my current kit cannot do". ie: Video. right now I'm looking at 4k video as it's making me money. My D810 does not do 4k video. If I buy any mirrorless at this point it needs to do 4k. period, otherwise I'm wasting money just for another toy. it won't make me a better photographer to buy another system.

That being said, the Fuji XT series is the BEST system I've ever used for personal shooting. The lenses aren't as small as Olympus, but the optical quality is pretty fraking amazing! The colors are beautifuil, the handling is amazing. It's a great kit. If you stayed with the new f2.0 WR lenses they can be pretty small.

If I was only shooting for me, not using my camera for work, and I wanted small and compact... Fuji XT2 all the way. I wouldn't look back.
02-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
amp

Original Poster
To everyone,
Thanks for the useful info!
For me, It's difficult to really get a good picture of what a camera is like when reading numerous articles. This 1st hand experience helps.
Cheers!
02-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fcsnt54 Quote
Um not too sure on the filters saying i have never done it, as far as checking on the camera.... Pretty much the same as taking pictures in jpeg. Also looks like you can check multiple boxes of filters if in doubt you can always add the two pictures together with the different filters if you cant add them to a single image in camera

Popart
Soft focus
Pale and light color
Light tone
Grainy film
Pinhole
Diorama
Black and white
Etc... (too many to write)

Also you can create a custom edit and you can edit your pictures in camera such as red eye, cropping, shadow adjust, aspect ratio, black and white, and saturation.

---------- Post added 02-27-17 at 12:57 PM ----------

Oh and i had the k-3 and this is the camera i traded it in for. I wasnt using the k-3 as much and it was too big for my travel camera.
Is there anything you miss from the K-3 now that you've traded it in? I see both Adorama and Bhphotovideo have the Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II for $549 including 14-42mm lens. Is that a good price?
02-27-2017, 05:04 PM   #13
amp

Original Poster
I plan on keeping my k3. The k3 with the 70mm HD is my favorite combo! I'd like to add another small limited, as well as possibly get the omd em10ii as my 2nd camera for traveling.
02-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I plan on keeping my k3. The k3 with the 70mm HD is my favorite combo! I'd like to add another small limited, as well as possibly get the omd em10ii as my 2nd camera for traveling.
I'd look for deals on em1 now, there should be a nice drop off because of the new model introduced. Em1 can offer more in general, unless you just want a simpler travel kit. Updates to em1 added a ton of stuff, and I think majority of it sort of passed right by em10ii
02-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
I'd look for deals on em1 now, there should be a nice drop off because of the new model introduced. Em1 can offer more in general, unless you just want a simpler travel kit. Updates to em1 added a ton of stuff, and I think majority of it sort of passed right by em10ii
Isn't EM1 is almost as the size of the K-5/K-3? although it would be lighter.