Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Videography... I have unleashed the beast

This past weekend I was hired to do videography for a wedding. Originally I was contracted only to do the ceremony, but I ended up covering pretty much the whole day taking about 50 minutes of overall footage not including b-roll. My theory was very very limited as this is only the third time I've dabbled in the dark arts. Things I've learned:

1: I need a better way to stabilize my camera. My lightweight carbon tripod with a pan head is no good for video.
2: I really really really want a slider now... like badly.
3: I'm glad I shot in portrait color profile on my D800 and D810 instead of using the flat picture profile on the D810. No Vlog for me yet!
4: I don't like shoving both my cameras on tripods. I really want a third camera to shoot with.
5: 20min record time limit is very stressful when the officiant is long winded (ceremony ended with 15 seconds to spare on my lead cam.

Overall it was a beautiful day and the head photographer has hired me for a few more weddings now based on what I provided her. She knows I'm just getting started with it but she knows if I add just a couple small pieces we could make some pretty amazing productions. She's also farming my name around to other photographers in the area who may want video. So this is unexpected, but it comes with a good pay day and makes my business a lot more versatile.

So, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a video tripod and a Cinevate slider. I want stuff I can count on for years to come. I'm researching on an outboard recorder and thinking for now the Atomos Ninja 2 is good enough, but thinking I may spend a few extra dollars on the Blackmagic Videoassist 4k.

Why the videoassist 4k? Well I'm thinking I may want to get a separate kit for video for next season if things keep going the way they are. The problem is that I may want that third camera sooner than later as using my aging D800 is starting to scare me and it doesn't have a lot of the options for video my D810 does. I also don't want to put this much strain on my D810.

I'm hoping that by mid season I'll be able to start creating this video kit.... but I'm torn in multiple ways on what I want to do with my kit. My current projected earnings give me a budget of around $10,000 on gear this year. this can evaporate stupidly fast. I'm planning for a really heavy 2018 too as I'm only doing about 15 total weddings in 2017. I also still have my day job so thats why the gear budget is so high. it won't be in 2018 and beyond.

Things I KNOW I need in the order I plan on purchasing them:
Cinevate Duzi 4 slider
Videotripod
Profoto B1 (I got one already, could use 2)
2 spare batteries for the B1's
Atomos Ninja 2 or Blackmagic Videoassist 2

oh look, 1/2 my budget gone already

I'm thinking a D750 is the smartest choice to add to the kit first. Why? Because it fits all my current lenses, it has a very similar video package as my D810 does, and it gives me a third camera to shoot with. It may also become my primary camera for weddings due to the MUCH smaller file size. I have not yet had the need for 36mp files for weddings. In fact before I sold all my Pentax gear I always shot the ceremony and reception on my K3. 24mp is plenty.

OR do I start fleshing out a 4k video system... My wish list is long.... but I'm thinking a good start would be:

Sony A7S (first gen) + Sony 50mm Macro + Sony 28mm f2.0 + hard case for all the video stuff - which will be about $3500 CAD. gives me the option to get an adapter and the 35mm Sigma Art for my Nikon kit as well. The added benefit is the low light capabilities are amazing and I could really use this additional ability for the reception or other really dimly lit situations.

OR

Panasonic GH4 + 25mm Summilux + 17mm Summilux + Olympus 45mm 1.8 + 75mm 1.8 + hard case for all the video stuff. Gives me a lot more options lens wise. a lot more compact, and internal 4x vs external 4x on the Sony. Low light and photo shooting no where near as good though. That EVF is terrible in my limited experience with it. Oh and the GH5 is way too much money @ $3000 for the body.

OR

Fuji XT-2 + 18mm f2.0 + 25mm f2.0 + 56mm 1.2 + hardcase. I used to own the XT1 and truth be told it became my primary event camera when I owned it. I love the Fuji system, A LOT. The XT1 was the BEST camera I've ever used for event photography. I would have kept it if my strobes were compatible and if it had more than 16mp sensor. If the 2 was out before I needed to sell everything off I would have sold all my Nikon gear... its that good. TCSTv says the video is pretty decent and a vast improvement from before. I also already have adapters for my Pentax glass and Nikon glass.

Keep in mind this is all end of summer planning and could change on a dime! Video is not easy and so far I'm liking what I get and I really enjoy it. It also pays very good. I wouldn't be looking at any of this (just the lighting and D750) if I wasn't expanding my offerings. But while I have the budget this year to expand my kit I might as well. because next year and onwards I'll be fully self employed and won't be able to upgrade my kit as much or as often.

OR! I regulate the pair of Nikons to video and invest in the medium format Fuji

Last edited by Wired; 02-27-2017 at 01:34 PM.
02-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Save money.
02-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Save money.
my cameras are making money
02-27-2017, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
my cameras are making money
How about an A7RII with Metabones adapters? Means you can use all your glass and have 4K.

02-27-2017, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How about an A7RII with Metabones adapters? Means you can use all your glass and have 4K.
Too much resolution, not good enough low light. way to expensive. 36mp is the max I want from a 35mm camera.
02-27-2017, 04:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Too much resolution, not good enough low light. way to expensive. 36mp is the max I want from a 35mm camera.
And a a7sII?
02-27-2017, 04:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A7sII with a 3-axis gimbal?
02-27-2017, 04:16 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you plan on doing a lot of event video, you should probably look into investing in one of these:

Ronin-M ? Lightweight, Handheld 3-Axis Camera Gimbal*- DJI

or one of these:

Osmo ? Reimagine Movement - DJI

The Ronin in particular can help create awesome, free-flowing DSLR action video.

02-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
And a a7sII?
Still a lot of money @ $3K. which is why I'm looking at the previous generation as I can get it for about $1500 CAD new. Leaves me a lot more money for glass. Eventually when I build the video kit up I'd get the A7sII.

A7sII with a 3-axis gimbal?
3 axis gimbal during weddings is a royal pain and not as discrete as a tripod with a pan head and a slider along the side lines. I would consider a glidecam though. I've seen two different videographers try to maneuver with the gimbal around weddings when I'm shooting stills. They get in my shot, they obstruction the center lane.. it's really annoying. I don't want to be "that guy". I've talked to these guys about the gimbals and they were considering selling them and getting glidecams or just zoom lenses and fixed point tripods due to the complaints they get for being distracting. I would rather not spend $3000+ on a gimbal when 2 out of 2 video pros using them have already said they wouldn't use them next season.

The A7S, Metabones adapter, DJI Ronin-M, Blackmagic Video Assist 4K, focus puller (kinda needed with the Gimbal Rig) and I'm well over $6k not including glass. Not leaving a lot of room in my budget for another Profoto B1 (which is an essential part of my OCF formals look), and the extra batteries for it. If the Gimbal doesn't work out thats a ton of money on a hard to sell second hand product that would be wasted. At least with the cameras and glass if the video thing doesn't pan out as well as I'm hoping I still got a great camera and glass I can use for stills, vacations, personal work...that kinda stuff.

---------- Post added 02-27-2017 at 04:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you plan on doing a lot of event video, you should probably look into investing in one of these:

Ronin-M ? Lightweight, Handheld 3-Axis Camera Gimbal- DJI

or one of these:

Osmo ? Reimagine Movement - DJI

The Ronin in particular can help create awesome, free-flowing DSLR action video.
see above for why I don't wanna invest in the Ronin. It doesn't seem like a good idea... the DJI Osmo tho... has been something I've been considering. It looks like a wicked device, but wide angle like a go pro...
02-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Then maybe a GH3, or GH4 ir you are going seriuos about video, smaller bodie and lenses, more FOV, you can adapt your lenses, VLog on the Gh4 (idk in the GH3) and when the camera males enough money a GH5, or 6 if ir already hit the market
02-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by virusn3t Quote
Then maybe a GH3, or GH4 ir you are going seriuos about video, smaller bodie and lenses, more FOV, you can adapt your lenses, VLog on the Gh4 (idk in the GH3) and when the camera makes enough money a GH5, or 6 if ir already hit the market
I am leaning towards the GH4... to be honest its between it and the A7S.

Better lens selection for the price when it comes to M4/3 and a lot smaller overall. Reading on some video forums the A7S seems to have huge issues with moire and rolling shutter... and I think that alone may knock it out of contention.
02-27-2017, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Cant go wrong with a GH4, but the GH5 is supreme and gets a lot more @ around double( or 2.5) the price....perhaps a used GH4/ Seeing the 5 is about to be realeased?

Also the Fuji XT20 has many of the features of the XT2 but no 2 card slots or weather sealing.
02-27-2017, 05:43 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Videography always seemed to me like a real gear and $$-eating rabbit hole.

Exercise caution.

---------- Post added 2017-02-28 at 11:45 AM ----------

wide angle like a go pro
Wide, but not GoPro fish-eye, I believe.
02-27-2017, 06:07 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Videography always seemed to me like a real gear and $$-eating rabbit hole.
Yeah... Stick to photography only, its very affordable.... oh look! A new DFA*85mm! (start counting pennies)
02-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

If you're really going to go for it on the video side how about a dedicated camcorder like a Panasonic HC X1000 4K or similar?