Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2017, 08:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
4/3 or other mirrorless for UV macro

Hey you 4/3 and mirrorless types, I have a question.
You may know I do insect photography in the field. Often while taking pictures out there in the prairies I consider what these flowers look like to the bees, who can see well into the UV range, and butterflies which have like 9 types of opsins and can see all sorts of things we can't. Mostly I think about UV in terms of another hard bump on my nose which is probably another carcinoma....

But the 4/3 system is really good for UV conversion from places like Lifepixel. Which brand has a good reputation for macro? I've looked a bit on B&H and there are a lot of options. I'm not looking for studio work, so the 4X Mitakon lenses are unlikely to be useful hand-held in the breezy days. A standard decent macro which can be used for UV shots would be ideal - a EVF would be ideal, since I'm in the sun.

Any suggestions? Money is secondary, but I'm unlikely to get a $2K camera body for this. Focus speed, confirmation, EVF and image quality are important.

03-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is outside of my field of expertise, but I'd email Lifepixel. They have a solid reputation and may have a recommendation for you.
03-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have specific insight into the UV aspects - but I am very partial to the GX-7. The GX-7 offers limited in body image stabilization and importantly (to my mind) the EVF is able to tilt up to make leaning over to take a shot a bit easier. The sensor is only 16MP - so if 20MP is required this body will not cut it. There are several autofocus Macro options all of which should work on the camera:

The Olympus 60mm;
60mm f/2.8 1:1 46mm (filter) 185g (weight) 56x82 (WxL in mm) Black Retail: $400 1:1 macro, weather-sealed

The Panasonic/Leica 45mm:
45mm f/2.8 1:1 46mm (filter) 225g (weight) 63x63(WxL in mm) Black Retail: $800 1:1 macro, Optical Image Stabilization

The Olympus is a longer focal length with a longer working distance. The Olympus is smaller, lighter, cheaper and weather sealed. However if I were doing handheld work with the GX-7 I would probably prefer the OIS in the PanLeica lens. The GX-7 with 3 axis in body image stabilization is very good - some tests show it beating the OMD-EM5 (mark II I think) in slow shutter speed blur in head to head shooting with IBIS only.

The PanLeica is a nice lens but not weather sealed from what I read. It is heavier and larger and a lot more expensive - with a shorter working distance.

On top of these two options any telephoto plus a close up lens like a Raynox makes for another good option for some objects.

---------- Post added 03-03-17 at 01:06 PM ----------

I also would look at cheaper adapted manual focus macro lenses since IBIS in either modern Panasonic bodies or Olympus bodies of all types will make those viable.
03-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I would recommend the Olympus 60 macro along with any Oly OMD body with 5 axis stabilization (i.e., anything other than the E-M10mk1). The E-M5mk2 would be just about perfect (state of the art IBIS and EVF), although the less expensive E-M10mk2 should work fine as well.