Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2017, 03:11 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

X-Trans vs Bayer Sensors

X-Trans vs Bayer Sensors: Fantastic Claims and How to Test Them

03-03-2017, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well Fuji couldn't have been lying to us about the performance of their cameras, could they? After their insistence in using different ISO standards, I just can't trust them...
03-05-2017, 05:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I read it and didn't know what to make of it. Seems like the author simulated all of the photos, which might be interesting, but not as much as taking images with different cameras.

I do think that Fuji has over blown the benefit of their X Trans system. The whole idea was that it allowed you to remove the AA filter with less moire. That may improve sharpness a little bit (see K5 II versus K5 IIs), but it does nothing for high ISO performance.
03-05-2017, 07:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. The whole idea was that it allowed you to remove the AA filter with less moire. That may improve sharpness a little bit (see K5 II versus K5 IIs), but it does nothing for high ISO performance.
It actually does. The AA filter reduces color moire. The AA filter also makes if more difficult for the image processor to tell the difference between color detail and color noise (chroma). Fuji is correct in that its X-trans reduces noise (color noise), but luminous noise is still just like any APS-C sensor of the same generation. Chroma noise is the hardest to clean up in post. When made it claim that the X-Trans sensor had less noise than a FF they were referring to the Canon 5DIII and that sensor (like all Canon sensors) is pretty average for a FF sensor.

03-08-2017, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

2 facts stood out for me (if they are facts :-))

The skin tone problem on faces as demonstrated in the article really looked bad - and i've read of that before.

The demosaicking efficiency for x-trans is only 30% of that for Bayer per the article. And that was give as a probable explanation of why Fuji went to a Bayer format for their MF camera - too slow in camera processing for such a large MP camera. Fuji makes good hardware - hopefully they will shift away from X-trans as a dead-end.
03-08-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've always trusted my own eyes on this one and never saw X-trans being in anyway obviously superior as claimed by the hype.
The comparators on DPR and ImagineResource just don't show an advantage if any at all ever since I looked at them since X-Pro1.