Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,398
Canon XTi with a bent CF pin

As the title states, I've acquired (by accident, I must confess) a Canon XTi (400D) that has a bent Compact Flash (CF) pin or pins. Other than not being able to save a photo to the CF card, everything else appears to work as it should.

Unfortunately, my hands aren't as dexterous as they once were (arthritis) so I'm thinking I really! shouldn't attempt to straighten the pin(s) myself. I've sent Precision Camera a request for a repair quote, but haven't heard back. Anyone here have a suggestion for repair?? Any help appreciated. Thanks.

03-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Syracuse, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 15,886
The repair quote will likely be much more than the camera is worth...

It could be used for tethered shooting...
03-04-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
Pentaxian
SpecialK's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: So California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,277
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Anyone here have a suggestion for repair?? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Find a friend with a piece of music wire or similar item to try it for you.
03-04-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,398
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The repair quote will likely be much more than the camera is worth...

It could be used for tethered shooting...
Interesting idea - I'll give it a try.

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Find a friend with a piece of music wire or similar item to try it for you.
Thanks for the suggestion.

03-23-2017, 05:51 AM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Indianapolis, IN USA
Posts: 77
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
As the title states, I've acquired (by accident, I must confess) a Canon XTi (400D) that has a bent Compact Flash (CF) pin or pins. Other than not being able to save a photo to the CF card, everything else appears to work as it should.

Unfortunately, my hands aren't as dexterous as they once were (arthritis) so I'm thinking I really! shouldn't attempt to straighten the pin(s) myself. I've sent Precision Camera a request for a repair quote, but haven't heard back. Anyone here have a suggestion for repair?? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Austin, TX is big enough that it should have an independant camera repair shop that should be able handle a bent CF pin. I had this happen to my Nikon D700 & took it to a local camera repair shop that was able to straighten the pin.
03-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #6
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,720
QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
As the title states, I've acquired (by accident, I must confess) a Canon XTi (400D) that has a bent Compact Flash (CF) pin or pins. Other than not being able to save a photo to the CF card, everything else appears to work as it should.

Unfortunately, my hands aren't as dexterous as they once were (arthritis) so I'm thinking I really! shouldn't attempt to straighten the pin(s) myself. I've sent Precision Camera a request for a repair quote, but haven't heard back. Anyone here have a suggestion for repair?? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
I tried to fix a bent pin on my XT and managed to finish ruining the camera.
03-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian
ChipB's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Austin, TX area
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,398
Original Poster
I went ahead and sold it on 'the bay' as broken, selling AS-IS. Gone now.

Thanks for the comments.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bent, canon, cf, pin, pins, xti
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Canon Rebel XTI/18-135 lens WILLIAM HUBBARD Sold Items 2 07-01-2012 05:12 AM
For Sale - Sold: Canon XTi + Pentax 18-55mm kit lens jct us101 Sold Items 8 04-18-2009 03:34 PM
K100D VS Canon XTi jct us101 Pentax DSLR Discussion 21 03-27-2009 08:50 AM
Canon XTi Thoughts synnyster Pentax DSLR Discussion 37 03-21-2008 09:37 AM
Just for the fun of it: k100d vs. Canon XTi Challenge! superfuzzy Pentax DSLR Discussion 5 12-19-2006 02:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top