Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2017, 08:08 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Chris Mak Quote
I was heavily invested in the Olympus 4/3 system around 7-8 years ago, owning the SGH lenses 14-35 f2, 35-100 f2 and the 150 f2, and saving up for the 300 f2.8 + tc's.
Then the Pen camera's took over, and Olympus' priorities shifted. Olympus lost faith in the possible success of 4/3 and on top of that were plagued by a financial scandal.
I and quite a few others still believed in the 4/3 system, mainly due to the spectacular SHG lenses and the still wonderful and affordable HG lenses, but what really drew the curtains on the 4/3 system as far as I am concerned, was that Olympus got hold of a Sony sensor too late. The 4/3 Dslr system's users had already mostly left the system by the time Olympus finally got out of the strangehold by Panasonic, that kept their best sensors from Olympus to be able to compete with them.
Had the Sony sensor come sooner, things might have been different: I would for one most certainly still be shooting the SHG lenses. The Panasonic sensors were a disaster, the E3 was a hopeless camera due to its inferior sensor, and the E5, with basically the same underperforming kind of sensor, came at a point when Pentax already had the wonderful 16mp Sony sensor.
I feel that Olympus 4/3 could have been a dream system for tele shooting such as birding and wildlife, but the new 300mm m4/3 lens, however good, just does not produce the same magic as the 4/3 300mm f2.8, and I for one did not like the idea of shooting mirrorless for birding/wildlife.
Others had different reasons for liking 4/3, but it needed a state of the art 16mp sensor and that sensor came too late, when Olympus had already given up on the system, and so had most of its users.
I moved to Pentax literally the month that the EM-5 came out, and Olympus finally confessed, that there would not be another 4/3 Dslr body

Chris
I had the E-3 and the 14-35 & 35-100. Great lenses. The 150mm F/2 was a dream lens. I sold my E-3 and got out of the system when the K-7 came out. Olympus makes really good cameras and their image processing is very good. M4/3 is a pretty mature system at this point. They are in a position to expand to a second format and I think they need to if they want to appeal to more users. Sony and Fuji basically jumped into the mirrorless market and stole it from Olympus and Panasonic simply by offering a larger sensor.

03-15-2017, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I really liked four thirds. I had five of their cameras:
E-300, E-500, E-510, E-3 and E-1

And four lenes:
14-45, 40-150 F3.5, and later 11-22 and 14-54, when the prices went down.

I only shot the E-300 and E-510, the rest were bought recently out of nostalgia, and because they costed pennies. I got some of the best shots using their kit lenses (14-45, 40-150), because I simply couldn't afford more when I was in college.

E-3 with 40-150mm F3.5-4.5

E-300 with a 14-45mm kit lens:

E-300 with a 14-45mm kit lens:

I am seriously considering getting an E-3 for $150 and filling up on SHG zuikos just for fun, now that they are third-of-a-price and I can actually consider buying them, instead of just hoping.