Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 10:34 PM   #1

My new set up

Hey everyone, I posted ages ago about upgrading my camera to something more recent, and I have finally bitten the bullet and done so. I am going on a working holiday to America later this year, and decided to buy an Olympus OMD EM1 secondhand, and the 40-150mm f2.8 lens plus a teleconverter to go with it. I plan to use this combination for any wildlife and scenery that I might see over there. Anyway, I got the lens today, and it is AWESOME!!! However it is also massive! Dwarfs the camera. I have not had time to look closely, but the lens is about the same diameter as my Pentax 16-45, but twice the weight! I've got a couple of questions:

Does anyone else here use micro four thirds as a backup or supplementary camera, and has anyone used the 40-150mm? What do you think? Also, any advice on how to handle such a lens (I believe the nearest Pentax equivalent is the excellent 50-135mm which was out of my price range)? And finally, is this post allowed on this forum? Feel free to move or delete it if it isn't

Cheers everyone 👍

03-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think anyone is going to lose sleep over your question because it's another camera system. I think you might have been better asking the question in this part of the forum for the right answer though: Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com You could ask the Admins to shift there for you.

Oh, and enjoy your trip.

Tas
03-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I don't think anyone is going to lose sleep over your question because it's another camera system. I think you might have been better asking the question in this part of the forum for the right answer though: Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com You could ask the Admins to shift there for you.
And magically it appears in the correct forum.
03-20-2017, 04:04 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
And magically it appears in the correct forum.
Just like magic! Haha, thanks Tas

03-20-2017, 05:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Might I suggest you consider the 2 retractable Panasonic lenses as well.12-32/35-100.Both lightweight,compact and good IQ in reasonable light.
03-20-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Might I suggest you consider the 2 retractable Panasonic lenses as well.12-32/35-100.Both lightweight,compact and good IQ in reasonable light.
That is what I am doing. I don't own the 12-32 yet but the 14-42 power zoom lens is as small. I went with these slower more compact lenses for my m43 travel system. The 14-42 pz or 12-32 plus the 35-100 f4-5.6 paired with the 20mm f1.7 is a formidable travel camera.

My dad went f2.8 but with Panasonic. The 12-35 and 35-100 f2.8 lenses are smaller and lighter than the Olympus versions and have excellent IQ. The long lens is shorter than the Olympus. It doesn't have a dedicated teleconverter or the reach so that may be a consideration.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 03-20-2017 at 07:13 AM.
03-20-2017, 09:04 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bessa-66 Quote
Does anyone else here use micro four thirds as a backup or supplementary camera, and has anyone used the 40-150mm? What do you think?
I use m43 as both a backup and supplementary system. It is the system I turn to for infrared work, video, and hand-held landscape and travel photography. I've never used the 40-150 pro, although I've seen images taken from it and know it to be, like all the Oly pro glass, optically excellent but heavy (at least for m43).

QuoteOriginally posted by bessa-66 Quote
Also, any advice on how to handle such a lens (I believe the nearest Pentax equivalent is the excellent 50-135mm which was out of my price range)?
Here in America the Oly 40-150 Pro is quite a bit more expensive than the DA* 50-135. However, these lenses don't exactly share the same FOV, and are therefore not really equivalent. An equivalent lens for APS-C would be the DFA* 70-200 or the Tamron 70-200. I own the Tamron, which works great with my K-5iis, so the Oly has never interested me.

As for handling the Oly 40-150. If you find the E-M1 to small for the lens, you can always buy a battery grip. I've avoided the Oly pro glass because of the weight and cost, but I do own a couple of fairly heavy, old but shockingly inexpensive Oly 4/3rds HG SLR lenses, which I use on my ailing E-M5 via an adapter. For balance, I've added a cheap metal grip, which makes a huge difference. I'm not sure there's any cheap metal grips available for the E-M1, but there's certainly the Oly made grip, a bit pricey but perhaps worth it for that combination.