Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2017, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just Bought a Fuji X-T1 and 27mm 2.8 pancake lens to go with my K-3

I just purchased a used Fuji X-T1 and Fuji 27mm 2.8 pancake lens as a complement to my Pentax K-3 camera. Total cost $825. I'm hoping to use this as a quick street camera/vacation package that will compliment my K-3 along with my DA 14, FA 31, DA*50-135, FA 100 2.8 and F*300 stable of lenses.

Are there others that shoot both Fuji an Pentax together? How do you like this combination? I'm due to receive the camera and lens sometime late next week so I don't have any first hand knowledge as of yet.

03-26-2017, 04:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji and Pentax no, but that immortal iconoclast the Angry Photographer is a combined Nikon and Fuji shooter, so it seems that a mirrorless/DSLR combination kit is by no means unheard of. The Fujis are supposed to be pretty close to old film camera handling in ergonomics and control systems, and with a wide-angle low-registry-distance prime on them they are probably going to feel as much like Leicas as film Pentaxes, ideal for the purpose for which you bought yours. Let us know how things go.
03-26-2017, 05:03 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I just purchased a used Fuji X-T1 and Fuji 27mm 2.8 pancake lens as a complement to my Pentax K-3 camera. Total cost $825. I'm hoping to use this as a quick street camera/vacation package that will compliment my K-3 along with my DA 14, FA 31, DA*50-135, FA 100 2.8 and F*300 stable of lenses.

Are there others that shoot both Fuji an Pentax together? How do you like this combination? I'm due to receive the camera and lens sometime late next week so I don't have any first hand knowledge as of yet.
Board member Franky2step had K3 / X-T1 along with 645N and a number of other film cameras. He's since traded up to X-T2 and sold of most of his Pentax gear. The X-T1 is a fine machine, and the glass is great. I played with it a bit and I think for street the Fuji 23 or the 27 are pretty good choice. The 35/2 is a WR prime too if I recall correctly. The Fuji kit is a fair bit smaller, but battery life in the field can be a problem (buy a couple extras).
03-26-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I use A
fuji xt10
Pentax K5
Sony a7
Sony a6000.
The Fuji is my 4th favorite digital camera. I don't think it is because it is better than the k5. I think it it is because the a6000 makes it useful in a very narrow niche in my camera arsenal. The a6000 is better or equal in almost every way. The niche Fuji fills is straight outta camera Family/Social media Jpegs and I adore the Fuji 55-200mm 3.5-4.8. If you use LR or another good post processing program you will find you can get better end results from your K3. The combo you purchased is a really good choice for a small street camera. The 27mm is very sharp. You should try getting your hands on the 16-50mm kit lens it is very good for a kit lens.
here are some videos I made about fome fuji stuff

03-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I adore the Fuji 55-200mm 3.5-4.8.
Hey that could fill in my niche for the Pentax 70-200 range How fast does it focus. Would it be Ok for sports?
03-26-2017, 10:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Hey that could fill in my niche for the Pentax 70-200 range How fast does it focus. Would it be Ok for sports?
The t1 is faster than the t10 so probably ok for sports. The lens is very sharp wide open and the ois is mind blowing.
03-26-2017, 11:56 AM   #7

I have a Fuji x-e2 and Pentax k-r. The k-r was my first 'real' camera, and I learned a lot with it. I probably prefer the controls on the Fuji, but the k-r fills certain roles (e.g. novice attempts at some bird photography) , the x-e2 others. I am certain you will enjoy your x-t1.

03-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

27mm

This lens has big wraps.Probably my next Fuji purchase for the XE1.Perfect walk a rounder.No aperture ring though.The two plastic mount Fuji's are very good for basic lenses .16/50...50/230.
03-27-2017, 06:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ok so what the hell is going on here? I tested my recently acquired used Fuji XT-1 with 27mm 2.8 lens against my K-3 with FA 31 lens attached and it's mopping the floor with the K-3. I mean the indoor pictures as far as AWB goes are amazing on the Fuji. Much more accurate than the K-3 and a bit sharper to boot at the same F stop, Aperture and ISO. All functions were set to the same parameters so its not like I'm trying to give an advantage to either camera. The Fuji's auto focus is also faster in lower light. So again I ask, what the heck is going on here?

When it stops raining I'll need to test both camera's outside in the bright sunshine. Hopefully my K-3 will pull ahead or somebody's got some "splaining" to do.
03-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Ok so what the hell is going on here? I tested my recently acquired used Fuji XT-1 with 27mm 2.8 lens against my K-3 with FA 31 lens attached and it's mopping the floor with the K-3. I mean the indoor pictures as far as AWB goes are amazing on the Fuji. Much more accurate than the K-3 and a bit sharper to boot at the same F stop, Aperture and ISO. All functions were set to the same parameters so its not like I'm trying to give an advantage to either camera. The Fuji's auto focus is also faster in lower light. So again I ask, what the heck is going on here?
We compared XT1, the K3 with the DA35 maco is sharper than the Fuji XT1. Pentax K1 with DFA28-105 deliver both sharper and cleaner images vs XT1, that's easy to see.
I also tried the XT2, and I can confirm that the AF of XT2 is significantly faster than Pentax K1 / K3 AF. Image quality wise, I did not find the XT2 to deliver any significant improvement over the K3. For who is interested there are image tests that show that there is little or not difference between a 24Mp K3 w/o OAA filter and 24Mp XTrans. The problem for me is that the XT2 is overprice, expensive for what it delivers. Also, fitting a race AF into a mirrorless that customers select for its size is , marketing impressive, however in the real world usage, when I shoot with a 400mm lens 2Kg-3Kg lens, I don't use a XT2 at the back of it, I use a DSLR with a solid grip.

The key advantage of Fuji x mount camera is their size when used with primes from 16mm to 56mm, with the downside of lower battery life.
eyond that, they are pretty much the same as everyone else, except the JPEG colors tuned to look more like film, which anyone can achieve from the raws of any other brand camera.

From image-resource comparometer, I can easily see that the K3 is sharper than both XT1 and XT2.
Pentax K3 on the right hand side, Fujis on the left hand side, ISO100.
Attached Images

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-27-2017 at 09:20 PM.
03-27-2017, 09:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What lens did you use on the Fuji for comparison against the K-3?
03-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok so what the hell is going on here? I tested my recently acquired used Fuji XT-1 with 27mm 2.8 lens against my K-3 with FA 31 lens attached and it's mopping the floor with the K-3.
Better jpeg engine?
03-27-2017, 10:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
problem for me is that the XT2 is overprice,
Take the WR off and subtract a card slot and the price HALVES!...its called the XT20....IN
expensive for what it delivers

A slightly smaller viewfinder as well.
03-27-2017, 10:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Take the WR off and subtract a card slot and the price HALVES!...its called the XT20....IN
Build quality of the XT20 is at the level of 450 euros entry level DSLRs (take the cheapest from Canon, Nikon or Pentax). You know it when you try it in the shop...
The XT2 is on equal with Pentaxes flagships, but priced 1.5 x.

What lens did you use on the Fuji for comparison against the K-3?
DA35 macro ltd or the K3.

And I use the 28-105 kit zoom on the K1... The K1 with the kit zoom is mopping the floor with the Fujis

Clear advantage for the Fuji with a 27 pancake, can be easily carried in a small bag / with other things for traveling without thinking too much about it, while still getting good image quality.

Saying image quality is better than the Pentaxes, hummm that's more placebo effect than real.

If you take 3 or 4 cameras using the same 24Mp sensor manufactured in the same Sony factory, apart from raw processing (which does not add any information to the image, but can only eventually reduce the information), there is not much difference.

Anyway, part of enjoying a camera is to be satisfied with the purchase. The Fuji XT1 looks sexy and with 27mm is very compact for the IQ it deliver, I would agree with that.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-27-2017 at 10:38 PM.
03-27-2017, 10:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

The XT2 is on equal with Pentaxes flagships, but priced 1.5 x.
That's because the Pentax "flagship" is old...the next version will be priced pretty close to the XT2 judging by the KPs price.....take into account inflation, higher labour costs and Ricohs statement of becoming a"higher end" camera supplier.