Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2017, 10:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Fuji 27 is very compact, that's key for traveling, however, it does not feature any stabilization, taking a toll on ISO and the noise that comes with it is less then optimal lighting conditions. APSC resolution drops pretty quickly as ISO goes up.

With regard to price, XT1 isn't a new model , it was still priced higher than Pentax 16Mpixels bodies

03-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

27mm....78 gms

Its not hard to hold a little weighted combo steady,I use my Takumars which all weigh more than the 27 handheld.My native lens(50-230) is 110gms heavier....it shoots pretty good images handheld.
Add a speed booster/focal reducer or a dumb adapter and the old style lenses(cheeep) provide plenty of entertainment

Last edited by surfar; 03-27-2017 at 11:26 PM.
03-28-2017, 12:21 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The Fuji 27 is very compact
it does not feature any stabilization
The X series ILCs have stabilised ZOOMS, not primes....doesn't stop them from capturing excellent images....Fuji admitted they cant have IBIS with the Xtrans sensors...

http://www.neocamera.com/list_lenses.php?mount=xf
03-28-2017, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

I shoot a K3 and Fujifilm X-M1, which is smaller and older than the X-T1, but it suits me perfectly as a small, high quality camera to use when carrying a DSLR is impractical. For around a year and a half I shot it using just adapters (Pentax K, M42 and Minolta SR) and found it worked very well due to the flip-out screen and superb live-view implementation. Now I have the 35mm f/1.4 as well and it's a fantastic lens, sharp wide open with superb contrast and rendering.

I can fully understand why people dump DSLRs for smaller mirrorless gear, especially the Fujifilm line, the cameras and lenses are fantastic although also expensive.

I won't be dumping my K3 any time soon, there's still plenty it can do that the X-M1 can't, but the X-M1 with 35/1.4 is such an incredibly useful combination that it won't be going anywhere either.

03-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have started investing pretty heavily into Fujifilm after having been a Pentax user for years. I still own and use both, but my Pentax K-3 sees a LOT less use these days. I still have it because this summer I hope to use the Sigma 100-300 f/4 some. I also LOVE the DA* 50-135 and don't have any long lenses for my Fuji system yet. Longest lens I have is the 56mm for Fuji. But I did just shoot several events with just Fuji gear and other than not having a fast long zoom lens, I loved the light weight setup, EVF, and image quality. Some of my Pentax gear has already been sold off and some has broke (SDM failures), so if I stick with Pentax I need to replace some lenses (in particular my 16-50). But there seems like a much greater likelihood that I will purchase the Fuji 50-140 and if I love it as much as my 50-135, the Pentax sell off might happen soon. I honestly have been pretty tempted to also get a Nikon D750 ff camera If I run two systems...can get a factory refurbished body or lightly used for $1200-1400 these days and a million used Nikon lenses or Sigma third party lens options. If Pentax came out with a killer mirrorless APC or FF camera, it would be darn tempting to stay and slap the DA 40 or DA 70 on it.

Current Pentax gear - K-3 (had 2 bodies and now just one), 50-135, FA 50mm macro, DA 40mm, DA 70mm (love this lens too!), Sigma 100-300.

Current Fujiflm gear - X-E2, X-T10 (will be selling soon), X-T1, X-T20 (just got it), 27mm, 35mm 1.4, 35mm f/2, 56mm, 18-55mm
03-28-2017, 10:48 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
But there seems like a much greater likelihood that I will purchase the Fuji 50-140 and if I love it as much as my 50-135, the Pentax sell off might happen soon.
I've read that the less expensive and smaller Fuji 55-200 is equally as good if you don't need F2.8

Ok so this is getting serious. I just took some comparative shots outside with both the Pentax FA 31 lens on my K-3 and the 27mm F2.8 on the Fuji. Both Jpeg as I don't use RAW. I much prefer the Fuji look. The color reproduction and AWB is much better in my eyes and it's sharp as a tack. Now it may not have that pixie dust the FA 31 can create but at this point all I need is a vacation/family set up as I am not a Pro photographer. The weight of the Fuji is half that of the Pentax so that is also nice for vacation. I dunno......lots to think about. If I went Fuji I think I would keep my K-3 and DA*50-135 as that combo is fantastic for portraiture. Wondering if I'd miss my DA 14mm wide lens although Fuji has one as well. So here's what I'm thinking.

Fuji
14mm 2.8
27mm 2.8
55-200 3.5-4.8

Pentax K-3
DA*50-135

That means I sell off the following lenses
DA 14
FA 31
F*300
My brother gets the FA 100 2.8
I also have a Pentax K-50 with less than 700 shutter actuations and both kit lenses like new. (Something I acquired from eBay when purchasing the DA 14).

Pentax

Fuji

Pentax

Fuji

These are all straight out of the camera without any editing. Yea I know we could bump this level up or that level down but I wanted a true Jpeg comparison.
03-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Fuji jpegs are great, many don't bother shooting raws.

03-28-2017, 03:38 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did a photo test with my wife this afternoon. I took 18 pictures with both camera's each with the same layout and jpeg output. She chose the Fuji 94% of the time. She is a client not a photographer.
03-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah I have considered the 55-200 and have read it is a pretty awesome lens. I guess I am just a little spoiled with constant aperture though and also having the flexibility that f/2.8 provides. Hard to find the 50-140 used though as it is apparently a stellar lens. Hoping there is a sale sometime soon as I have seen it for $200-300 less than current price when it is on sale.

Food for thought...I don't use a wide angle lens that often. So the 18-55 "kit lens" is usually wide enough. And it is a killer lens. But I have considered the Rokinon 12mm as a wider option as it is rather cheap, apparently good build, and for a wide angle, autofocus might be less of a need especially with focus peeking available in the Fujifilm cameras as well.

I totally agree about the accuracy of AWB as well. It is AWESOME. I think exposure metering is better too.

I also hardly ever shoot raw which makes me love the jpgs right out of the Fuji as well. Love the film simulations as well. The ability to bracket the filters in a single shot is pretty convenient too.
03-29-2017, 05:55 AM   #25

...however in the real world usage, when I shoot with a 400mm lens 2Kg-3Kg lens, I don't use a XT2 at the back of it, I use a DSLR with a solid grip.
I recently had chance to play with an XT2 and the 100-400mm Fuji lens at the Photography show in Brum. The thing that struck me first was just how light the lens is at <1.4Kg! It's barely any heavier than the Tamron 70-200 I have for my Pentax. If I want more reach, I would be tempted to shell out for the Fuji zoom just for the weight saving.
03-29-2017, 06:20 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I've read that the less expensive and smaller Fuji 55-200 is equally as good if you don't need F2.8

Ok so this is getting serious. I just took some comparative shots outside with both the Pentax FA 31 lens on my K-3 and the 27mm F2.8 on the Fuji. Both Jpeg as I don't use RAW. I much prefer the Fuji look. The color reproduction and AWB is much better in my eyes and it's sharp as a tack. Now it may not have that pixie dust the FA 31 can create but at this point all I need is a vacation/family set up as I am not a Pro photographer. The weight of the Fuji is half that of the Pentax so that is also nice for vacation. I dunno......lots to think about. If I went Fuji I think I would keep my K-3 and DA*50-135 as that combo is fantastic for portraiture. Wondering if I'd miss my DA 14mm wide lens although Fuji has one as well. So here's what I'm thinking.

Fuji
14mm 2.8
27mm 2.8
55-200 3.5-4.8

Pentax K-3
DA*50-135

That means I sell off the following lenses
DA 14
FA 31
F*300
My brother gets the FA 100 2.8
I also have a Pentax K-50 with less than 700 shutter actuations and both kit lenses like new. (Something I acquired from eBay when purchasing the DA 14).

Pentax

Fuji

Pentax

Fuji

These are all straight out of the camera without any editing. Yea I know we could bump this level up or that level down but I wanted a true Jpeg comparison.
I don't know. I wouldn't really see this as a good comparison, because the exposure is wrong on the k3 images. Figuring out how to get the exposure right in your jpegs is probably a start. Maybe your K3 under exposes a little bit, but if so then you need to do some EV compensation.

Last edited by Rondec; 03-29-2017 at 06:32 AM.
03-29-2017, 07:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know. I wouldn't really see this as a good comparison, because the exposure is wrong on the k3 images. Figuring out how to get the exposure right in your jpegs is probably a start. Maybe your K3 under exposes a little bit, but if so then you need to do some EV compensation.
Actually, I think the K-3 exposure and color is more accurate. Look at the white plastic gallon jug on the floor. The Fuji almost blows it out and the colors have a cool cast. The K-3 appears to be doing a better job with the WB, color saturation, and exposure. With out a color checker or gray card we don't know for sure, but the Fuji looks cooler and over exposed. That maybe the look that he likes.

Fuji makes a great little system and I love the new 23mm, 35mm, & 50mm F/2 lenses, but they are still not there yet. A lot of people like that cool "matte" look because they think it makes the picture look vintage and Fuji does this pretty well.
03-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Actually, I think the K-3 exposure and color is more accurate. Look at the white plastic gallon jug on the floor. The Fuji almost blows it out and the colors have a cool cast. The K-3 appears to be doing a better job with the WB, color saturation, and exposure. With out a color checker or gray card we don't know for sure, but the Fuji looks cooler and over exposed. That maybe the look that he likes.

Fuji makes a great little system and I love the new 23mm, 35mm, & 50mm F/2 lenses, but they are still not there yet. A lot of people like that cool "matte" look because they think it makes the picture look vintage and Fuji does this pretty well.
Either way, it is really tough to compare shots when the exposure is so different. I do prefer to expose for the highlights and bump shadows after the fact if needed, but it isn't that hard to turn up the exposure a little if that is your preference. Just have to know your camera, I guess.
03-29-2017, 01:55 PM   #29
Pentaxian

In those sample shots the Fuji looks much better to me - WB, colour saturation and exposure.

I stay with Pentax for the DA limiteds and due to the price of Fujifilm gear when new, but exposure and WB on the K3 annoy the hell out of me with their inaccuracy while the X-M1 gets perfect results almost every time.
03-29-2017, 04:10 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm going to keep a Pentax K-50 (under 700 shutter activations) , 18-55 kit lens and the DA*50-135 for my wife. My son will get my K-3 and grip while everything else will go. The only lens I will really miss is the F*300, but honestly I just don't use it that often.