Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2017, 08:25 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
the thing I'll miss most is the Color Skopar - I'm in deep with that lens and think it punches waaaaaay above its price-point in terms of rendering, speed, size etc etc...
I just checked out your example photos taken with the Skopar and am quite impressed.

Steve

04-05-2017, 09:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I just checked out your example photos taken with the Skopar and am quite impressed.
Thanks It's somewhat of a shame only in that, comparatively to others used in the same time frame, it has seen all that much use.
Really wish I (broken record) I clicked more with the RF shooting. I've a very quick and dirty FA31 CVSkopar comparison shot or two kicking around somewhere....
04-05-2017, 10:02 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Thanks It's somewhat of a shame only in that, comparatively to others used in the same time frame, it has seen all that much use.
Really wish I (broken record) I clicked more with the RF shooting. I've a very quick and dirty FA31 CVSkopar comparison shot or two kicking around somewhere....
I need to shoot my Skopar 35/2.5 more... manual everything is pretty tough for me though. I keep dreaming of getting a Konica Hexar RF to mount the Skopar too, then I'd have AE and a motor drive...
04-06-2017, 02:55 AM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
I keep dreaming of getting a Konica Hexar RF to mount the Skopar too
For the ultimate Anti-Leica statement the Hexar RF should be paired with a Zeiss sonnar 50mm f/1.5 and FYI, the Hexar RF built in motor drive isn't as quiet as the stealthy motor drive found in the Hexar AF.

04-06-2017, 03:25 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely a nice user. I almost bought one in 2012 when B&H was closing out their stock at the end of the camera's seven year run. I did not realize what a bargain* an Ikon ZM with Biogon 35/2 was at the time and allowed the opportunity to pass. I can't comment directly regarding build quality, having never handled one, but if is a step up from my Bessa, it ain't flimsy.

Steve

* I believe the combo was about $1500 at B&H.
I missed out on them when new, but got a used from KEH. It looked good, but the RF was WAY off at infinity as the adjustment "lock" had come loose and it slipped - possibly in shipping, so focus was way off at all distances. I found a procedure to adjust on the Web - accessible by removing the shutter speed dial, and it's been fine after that. But I've never had one of my film Leicas have the RF slip out of adjustment in 50 years.
04-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
For the ultimate Anti-Leica statement the Hexar RF should be paired with a Zeiss sonnar 50mm f/1.5 and FYI, the Hexar RF built in motor drive isn't as quiet as the stealthy motor drive found in the Hexar AF.
I'm not Anti-Leica...
If you want an M-mount body with AE and motor drive, you really only have one choice
04-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I missed out on them when new, but got a used from KEH. It looked good, but the RF was WAY off at infinity as the adjustment "lock" had come loose and it slipped - possibly in shipping, so focus was way off at all distances. I found a procedure to adjust on the Web - accessible by removing the shutter speed dial, and it's been fine after that. But I've never had one of my film Leicas have the RF slip out of adjustment in 50 years.
I would have been on the phone double quick with KEH asking for service. I am glad you found a solution, however. I have never been a Leica owner, but my impression based on user posts on RFF and APUG has been that adjustment is a concern for many owners. Google "leica rangefinder adjustment" and one receives a full day of reading on the subject (120,000 results).* If you have never had one slip from adjustment, you are twice blessed

Steve

* A similar query for the Ikon ZM yielded only 5,100 results, but enough to demonstrate that plenty of users have had adjustment problems.

04-06-2017, 05:17 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A similar query for the Ikon ZM yielded only 5,100 results
You should check out Bessa RF - according to google: 73,000 results.
04-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
You should check out Bessa RF - according to google: 73,000 results.
Yes, many came from the factory needing vertical adjustment. Steve Gandy offers that as a free service for Bessas that he sells.

Steve
04-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good thing I have the equipment and knowledge to calibrate my own RF cameras.
04-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the offending party, along with a 90mm f2.8 Telelmarit M that's also under consideration. Glass is clean on both lenses, and the body operates like a well oiled machine

04-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like a nice set! 35 and 90 are a good combination for an M2. That looks like a 90 Elmarit - the TeleElmarit was a shorter true telephoto design. I had used a borrowed M2 and TeleElmarit and loved the results, so when the local dealer got in another new TE in late 1968 I traded my other cameras and bank account for the M4 and 90, adding a 50 & 35 the next year after saving up. My main camera setup for decades.
04-07-2017, 07:12 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
Here's the offending party, along with a 90mm f2.8 Telelmarit M that's also under consideration. Glass is clean on both lenses, and the body operates like a well oiled machine
I can see the reason for the temptation. I will be in Fairbanks in the near future and will have to make a mental note to not go into any camera stores.

BTW, you will want to check the Canon 35/1.5 for haze and front element scratches.

Steve
04-08-2017, 07:51 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skierd Quote
A recent trip to Mexico with my family reminded me of a few things... mainly how much I love rangefinders ...
Could you provide extra words explaining why you like rangefinder cameras?? My first two adjustable cameras were rangefinders, because that is what I could afford, but I never saw anything positive, anything to be desired, in that technology.
04-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Can't comment on the Canon lens, but I can about the Leica Rangefinder. I made a decision, back in '82 to buy an old Leica llf rangefinder body, with a Leitz Elmar 50mm F 3.5.

I still have both. The Leica RF still takes excellent photos, although I haven't used it that much in this era of digital. The quality of construction, the silky, mechanical feel to the controls, the perfect ergonomics and the reliability and durability of my old Leica and lens are without parallel....except of course for my old Pentax equipment ('60's) which also still work extremely well.

I have no regrets getting my Leica. Yup you'll have to use a separate hand held light meter, but that's no problem...and I fervently believe a good handheld meter, can give you better exposure.

So if it's not an undue financial hardship and if everything seems to be in good, working order....I recommend getting it. An old Leica is a pleasure to use. It's nice to get back to baisc photography...meter reading...set shutter speed and F stop...manually focus. I do that on occasion with my K-1.