Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2017, 09:37 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Could you provide extra words explaining why you like rangefinder cameras?? My first two adjustable cameras were rangefinders, because that is what I could afford, but I never saw anything positive, anything to be desired, in that technology.
I've used both Leica M rangefinders and many brands and models of SLRs for 50+ years - all manual focus. A good rangefinder give faster and better critical focus with 50 and shorter lenses, especially in dim light, while SLRs are better with 135 and longer. 90 is about equal on both. The Leica M viewfinder shows a frameline matching the field of view of the lens, but also the area outside of what the lens sees. This really helps in choosing the best framing, and also adjusting for fast moving action of things just outside the frame you would see with an SLR. I loved shooting sports with the Leica M for that reason.
A rangefinder isn't good for very close (under 2 ft.) or macro work as well as long lenses, which is why I've used both over the decades.

04-08-2017, 09:41 AM   #32
Pentaxian

My Leica rangefinder, albeit old...is very good at fast focusing and in very dim light. Just focus till the images becomes one and bang...perfect focus. Don't think you can compare the Leitz rangefinder system to a lesser rangefinder system...not being insulting...but the Leitz rangefinder is that good.
04-08-2017, 02:37 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
There's technical, technique, and some completely subjective reasons for why I like shooting rangefinders. They tend to be small, with great lenses and a wonderful mechanical-ness to them. They are very quiet and discrete to shoot with. I can manually focus them MUCH easier than I can any slr I've ever used including an LX.

It's a different ethos and way of being when shooting one. I just like em.