Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2017, 04:16 AM   #1

Wildlife photography tips

I'm going to longleat zoo and am looking to rent a telephoto lense for close up of the animals. I'm renting a Canon lens 100-400 f4.5, I currently have a 5d mk2. Is it also worth renting a 7D for the crop sensor and that little bit extra zoom? Will the f4.5 be low enough to shoot hand held at 400mm in less than perfect light with the 7d? Or should i stick with my 5D?

Any tips/tricks/feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers Adam

04-07-2017, 04:44 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Compare sensors of cameras. Using apsc will be the same as just cropping FF image. Is 7D sensor better/worth_it when cropped?
04-07-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
obviously never been there since I haven't visited England but have visited various zoos in the US - Topeka Zoological Park, Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha Neb, Kansas City Zoo in Kansas City Mo., Dickerson Park Zoo in Springfield Mo. and the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Animal Kingdom park at Walt Disney World in Orlando Fl.

some thoughts:

it appears to be a drive through of some sort from the web site ???

are you driving through or being driven ??

you may not be able to choose your best "position" for photos

- sun position, back ground, distance etc, etc, etc, and so forth and so on, so just fire away and see what you get.

take care lowering windows, all animals can be dangerous and quicker than you think

if you have to shoot through glass consider the use of a polorizer to help with reflections, although I either live with them or shift bodily to combat them

consider use of flash if that would stop action or will the animals be on the move??

find out if you can ask for the engine to be turned off when the vehicle comes to a stop to kill vibrations and whether, if you can lower windows, can you use a bean bag or other type of cushion for your camera/lens if you are using longer telephotos.

can you use a monopod or other camera support system

if you can, try to find out in advance how close you will be to the animals. judge your choice of lenses accordingly.

above all enjoy your visit

please post some of your photos when you get done

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-07-2017 at 07:48 AM.
04-07-2017, 08:19 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My tips are;
Go in somebody else's car, take a wide angle zoom, be careful about opening windows and sunroof. Take note of the signed warnings.
My one experience of Longleat, albeit 40 plus years ago, reminds me of some baboons (or maybe monkeys) that wrecked the car in front of mine. Tore off the wipers, aerial and wing mirrors.
Another incident, some 50 plus years ago at a game park in Kenya, leaving the quarter lights open in the car because of the heat...monkey reached in and stole a bag of crisps. Luckily nothing else was in reach.
If you are of interest to the animals, the short zoom will be needed, the car may be mobbed!