Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2017, 09:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,714
Nikon D7500 officially announced

Nikon announces midrange D7500 DSLR: Digital Photography Review

Looks pretty snazzy.. 1300 for the body alone. Makes me wonder what Pentax have up their sleeve.

04-11-2017, 09:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 600
Nice camera, still glad I got my KP though!
04-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #3
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,128
Some pretty neat features there.
04-11-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,628
Interesting the overall performance benefits (fps, buffer, ISO) that seem to come from switching down to 20MP instead of 24MP. The 4K video support is nice too.

Single card slot compared to dual-card slot of the D7200 is a step backwards. But I guess they have the D500 for pros and other users who find features like that important.

04-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskitt Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,756
Worse battery and removed a SD card slot. Looks like they built this to sell more D500s.

Also, announced weight reduction without mention of body materials. Quite possibly means less metal than the D7200.

Edit: based on pictures of the body amd the strap lugs, I'm guessing it's an all polycorbonate body.

Last edited by geomez; 04-11-2017 at 11:08 PM.
04-11-2017, 11:24 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,167
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
Worse battery and removed a SD card slot. Looks like they built this to sell more D500s.

Also, announced weight reduction without mention of body materials. Quite possibly means less metal than the D7200.

Edit: based on pictures of the body amd the strap lugs, I'm guessing it's an all polycorbonate body.
I.e. Not an improved D7200


Steve
04-12-2017, 12:28 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,629
Interesting how the D7xxx series has now also creeped down to the "mid range" category rather than being referred to as an enthusiast body.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-12-2017, 05:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2015
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,307
And now the Nikonians feel our pain:



04-12-2017, 05:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 600
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Enjoyed this one... ...the guy is right!
04-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #10
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Miskolc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 127
Not to mention the body is entirely plastic and it has a single SD card slot. No matter what numbers a sensor produces, the body features clearly show a massive downgrade in some important aspects.
The D7000 line was a strong mid-range, even a gateway for budding young professionals. Something you could trust your work on. The way I see it the D7500 is more of an overpriced mid-entry body. I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon killed the D5x00 line, it is such a perfect replacement.
Not to mention the addition of Snapbridge which makes the Pentax Flucard the epitome of wireless camera solutions.
04-16-2017, 04:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member
starbase218's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Posts: 1,119
I wouldn't mind the battery life. Going from the K-5 to the K-3 was even worse in that respect. But this camera costs 1500 euros where I live, and it has 4 auto modes on the mode dial. That's... well, let's just say I don't understand that. The D500 is 500 euros more new, and only a few hundred euros more used. You get the better AF, higher fps, bigger buffer, dual memory card slots (one is XQD though), bigger viewfinder, AI indexing tab, more durable housing, better screen and a vertical grip option. The only thing that the D7500 offers over the D500 is a flash and the fact that it's smaller and lighter.

If the D7500 drops to below 1200 euros, things may change. But until they do, I can't really see it selling well.

But I have read one insightful comment (I think it was on DPR) on how this camera might fit into Nikon's strategy: this may become the lower end DSLR, as DSLRs still have an advantage over mirrorless in terms of action photography. That explains the slightly lower MP count and the relatively big buffer. They might replace the D5600 and D3400 with mirrorless options.
04-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,105
QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
I wouldn't mind the battery life. Going from the K-5 to the K-3 was even worse in that respect. But this camera costs 1500 euros where I live, and it has 4 auto modes on the mode dial. That's... well, let's just say I don't understand that. The D500 is 500 euros more new, and only a few hundred euros more used. You get the better AF, higher fps, bigger buffer, dual memory card slots (one is XQD though), bigger viewfinder, AI indexing tab, more durable housing, better screen and a vertical grip option. The only thing that the D7500 offers over the D500 is a flash and the fact that it's smaller and lighter.

If the D7500 drops to below 1200 euros, things may change. But until they do, I can't really see it selling well.

But I have read one insightful comment (I think it was on DPR) on how this camera might fit into Nikon's strategy: this may become the lower end DSLR, as DSLRs still have an advantage over mirrorless in terms of action photography. That explains the slightly lower MP count and the relatively big buffer. They might replace the D5600 and D3400 with mirrorless options.
Nikon had resisted for ages having a D300 sequel. They even skipped the D400 number completely and went straight to the D500. I thought at the time that they were protecting full frame models, but at the same time, it allowed the D7000 line up to get specifications that were pretty high end. But now, they have to protect the D500 and make sure it has enough high end features to explain the price gap between it and the D7200/D7500. The best way to do that, I suppose, is to leave features out of the D7500.
04-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member
starbase218's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
Posts: 1,119
Yup, that too.

But I've made my decision. I'm going to hold of upgrading to the latest and greatest. I just don't see the point.
07-17-2017, 04:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,684
DXO has tested it (but not written an article they get more hits reviewing phones i think )
Nikon D7500 vs Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7200

It improves a bit on the D500 but not on the D7200.
07-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #15
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,916
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
DXO has tested it (but not written an article they get more hits reviewing phones i think )
Nikon D7500 vs Nikon D500 vs Nikon D7200

It improves a bit on the D500 but not on the D7200.
It doesn't need to improve on the D7200; it is parallel to the D7200, addressing different needs. I believe Nikon is "rationalizing" their lineup, making it rational. When they are done, I believe they will have a 3nnn, the 7200, the 7500, and several three-digit cameras.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
nikon, nikon d7500
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nikon D810 Officially Announced Adam Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 34 06-28-2014 07:04 AM
Nikon D4s officially announced Adam Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 3 02-26-2014 01:02 AM
Nikon D7100 Officially Announced Adam Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 2 02-21-2013 06:16 PM
Nikon D7000 officially announced! JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 41 10-04-2010 02:30 PM
Nikon D90 officially announced Gus Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 37 09-07-2008 03:43 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:49 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top