Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2017, 10:57 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
Regarding to Fuji and size:

Yeah a KP with some pancake primes would be similar in size to a similar fuji kit, except for us having slower primes whereas all of their non-speciality primes are f/1.2, f/1.4, f/2.

And having been using Olympus EM-1 for awhile, EVF can be an amazing tech

04-17-2017, 07:46 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by G.E.Zekai Quote
Regarding to Fuji and size:

Yeah a KP with some pancake primes would be similar in size to a similar fuji kit, except for us having slower primes whereas all of their non-speciality primes are f/1.2, f/1.4, f/2.

And having been using Olympus EM-1 for awhile, EVF can be an amazing tech
I don't think it's similar in size. I've got a Fuji X-T1 and a Pentax K-50 and the Fuji is a much smaller camera body. It's half the weight and not nearly as thick. Even the equivalent size lenses are smaller. Like the 14mm 2.8.
04-18-2017, 12:35 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I purchased a used Fuji X-T1 for $550 and a 27mm pancake lens for $275. After testing it against my NEW Pentax K-3 with FA 31mm I decided to sell ALL my Pentax gear and go 100% Fuji. Take that for what it's worth.
I've tested the XT2, and I was impressed by how quick was the AF, image quality was also good, but similar to what my K3 delivers and clearly not to the level of the K1. XT2 looks good, very usable in terms of ergonomics (more than other models). In terms of exposure accuracy, I'm not surprised that the Fuji expose better because it's using the image sensor directly. By the way, when using the Pentax K3 or K1 in Live View mode, the exposure is also more accuracy as opposed to exposure metering via the OVF.
Thanks for the comment, I appreciate, although I don't believe there is such as different between camera of the same generation from different brands. There are plus and minus, Fuji having a clear advantage on compactness. For example, I've compared image from the Fuji 100-400 and my DFA150-450, and image for image comparison I was not impressed at all by the Fuji. Clear, the fuji 100-400 is relatively light weight..
04-18-2017, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

When it comes to comparing the physical size and weight of different camera bodies, camerasize.com is very useful although it isn't always perfect.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

So for example, it's easy to see that the K3 and the X-T2 are about the same width across but the X-T2 is 10mm shorter, and the K3 is 28mm thicker than the X-T2. Also, the K3 weighs 58% more than the X-T2 (800g vs 500g). The KP has basically the same exterior dimensions as the K3 but it weighs 700g, or about 40% more than the X-T2.

The X-T20 weighs only 383g and that makes the K3 just over twice it's weight and the KP around 85% heavier.

I used this website extensively when I was on my quest to cut the weight of my equipment in half. Sadly, I never found an equivalent for lenses.

04-18-2017, 01:32 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it's similar in size. I've got a Fuji X-T1 and a Pentax K-50 and the Fuji is a much smaller camera body. It's half the weight and not nearly as thick. Even the equivalent size lenses are smaller. Like the 14mm 2.8.
Size of the K-P is pretty close in height, but certainly it is thicker and a little heavier than the XT-2/ Compare camera dimensions side by side

I think it is important to remember that Fuji benefits from a shorter registration distance when it comes to wide angle primes. I don't understand the reasons for it, but lenses will be smallest when they are around the same focal length as the registration distance. This means that lenses around 18mm will be a lot smaller on the Fuji and around 40mm will be smaller on the K mount. I thought you mostly shot longer lenses, but if you are more interested in wide angles, than the Fuji will provide a smaller package.

Once you get to longer primes, like the FA 77 or DA 70, or deal with pretty fast zooms, you find that there is actually a bit of a penalty that you pay for those shorter registration distances. The Fuji 50-140 f2.8 weighs 995 grams while the DA *50-135 is 685 grams and is 500 dollars cheaper on B and H.

Anyway, I really think there aren't any bad cameras out there at this point. The thing is to use what works for you and what you enjoy using. I don't think I could go from Pentax ergonomics to Fuji and back again easily, but obviously plenty of folks do.
04-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I thought you mostly shot longer lenses, but if you are more interested in wide angles, than the Fuji will provide a smaller package
After I acquired the Pentax DA 14 I was enamored with that focal length for wide vista's and building shots. I still like the longer focal lengths, but rarely had an opportunity to use them. I found I was using my DA*200 more than the F*300 so I am anxiously awaiting Fuji's 200mm prime due to come out sometime later this year or early next.
04-18-2017, 03:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

After I acquired the Pentax DA 14 I was enamored with that focal length for wide vista's and building shots. I still like the longer focal lengths, but rarely had an opportunity to use them. I found I was using my DA*200 more than the F*300 so I am anxiously awaiting Fuji's 200mm prime due to come out sometime later this year or early next.
I am also looking forward to Fuji's long fast lens. I'm hoping it's a match for the 90mm, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is compatible with both of their TCs.

04-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Homo_erectus Quote
I am also looking forward to Fuji's long fast lens. I'm hoping it's a match for the 90mm, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is compatible with both of their TCs.
Do you think it should have optical image stabilization? I'm Ok with an F2.8 myself.
04-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Do you think it should have optical image stabilization? I'm Ok with an F2.8 myself.
It might. They seem to be adding OIS to all of their high end lenses these days. I honestly would prefer it didn't though, since I never use it and I'd prefer the lens to be as light as it can be.

I'd be buying this lens to shoot wildlife, especially birds, OIS works best below the 1/125th to 1/200th shutter speed range so I'm unlikely to *ever* use the lens with a shutter speed where the OIS would actually be a benefit. And, conversely, OIS systems can degrade image quality at higher shutter speeds, where I am likely to use the lens 99% of the time. So, I'd prefer they keep it simple and not include it.

I would love an F/2 but I fear the price and weight would be prohibitive. An F/2.8 is likely to be more affordable and lighter. I will be happy either way.
04-18-2017, 04:27 PM   #25
Pentaxian

It might. They seem to be adding OIS to all of their high end lenses these days. I honestly would prefer it didn't though, since I never use it and I'd prefer the lens to be as light as it can be.

I'd be buying this lens to shoot wildlife, especially birds, OIS works best below the 1/125th to 1/200th shutter speed range so I'm unlikely to *ever* use the lens with a shutter speed where the OIS would actually be a benefit. And, conversely, OIS systems can degrade image quality at higher shutter speeds, where I am likely to use the lens 99% of the time. So, I'd prefer they keep it simple and not include it.

I would love an F/2 but I fear the price and weight would be prohibitive. An F/2.8 is likely to be more affordable and lighter. I will be happy either way.
I really like my 90mm F2.0. Just a fantastic lens all the way around.

04-18-2017, 04:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I really like my 90mm F2.0. Just a fantastic lens all the way around.

Yeah man, the 90 is a great lens.

04-18-2017, 05:09 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Yeah man, the 90 is a great lens.
I chose this over the 55-200 because I'm looking for the best I can get. That's why I'm looking forward to the 200mm prime.
04-18-2017, 07:37 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When it comes to comparing the physical size and weight of different camera bodies, camerasize.com is very useful although it isn't always perfect.

Compare camera dimensions side by side

So for example, it's easy to see that the K3 and the X-T2 are about the same width across but the X-T2 is 10mm shorter, and the K3 is 28mm thicker than the X-T2. Also, the K3 weighs 58% more than the X-T2 (800g vs 500g). The KP has basically the same exterior dimensions as the K3 but it weighs 700g, or about 40% more than the X-T2.

The X-T20 weighs only 383g and that makes the K3 just over twice it's weight and the KP around 85% heavier.

I used this website extensively when I was on my quest to cut the weight of my equipment in half. Sadly, I never found an equivalent for lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Size of the K-P is pretty close in height, but certainly it is thicker and a little heavier than the XT-2/ Compare camera dimensions side by side

I think it is important to remember that Fuji benefits from a shorter registration distance when it comes to wide angle primes. I don't understand the reasons for it, but lenses will be smallest when they are around the same focal length as the registration distance. This means that lenses around 18mm will be a lot smaller on the Fuji and around 40mm will be smaller on the K mount. I thought you mostly shot longer lenses, but if you are more interested in wide angles, than the Fuji will provide a smaller package.

Once you get to longer primes, like the FA 77 or DA 70, or deal with pretty fast zooms, you find that there is actually a bit of a penalty that you pay for those shorter registration distances. The Fuji 50-140 f2.8 weighs 995 grams while the DA *50-135 is 685 grams and is 500 dollars cheaper on B and H.

Anyway, I really think there aren't any bad cameras out there at this point. The thing is to use what works for you and what you enjoy using. I don't think I could go from Pentax ergonomics to Fuji and back again easily, but obviously plenty of folks do.
Short of going to micro 4/3 lenses (also a valid consideration), the Fuji lenses (apart from the 27mm) are nearly all faster, and therefore bigger, since they need to still cover the APS-C image circle.

Exception: Pentax has a gem in the DA 70, though, nothing to match it. I have the 60mm Fuji macro and it is sharper (and with better bokeh, too), but slow, large, and extends like crazy.

In terms of design, yes, you are right with the registration distances. If you are willing to forgo the 2/3 stop, the 50-200mm F3.5-4.8 is 580g, and focuses much quicker than the 50-135mm. The price is a lot nicer, too.

Like you say, nothing really in it though, some days I enjoy shooting Pentax, some Fuji, and some m4/3. If you shot (or shoot) film Pentax gear a lot, there is nothing really that different about the ergonomics to the Fuji. Processing is easier on the Pentax/m43 (with Lightroom), but not too different, except for ultimate sharpness levels.
04-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Hi ,
currently evaluating Fuji X as a compact alternative to Pentax DSLR.
Regarding resolution, I'd rather consider 24Mpixel.
However, something is seriously holding me back: battery life.
I have a college having a XT series camera, according to him he can barely get 200 shots on a full charged battery, in low power mode (slow camera), for a couple of hours of use.
Browsing the web, I've also found that for EX series , some users report less than 100 shots from a full charged battery, draining into less than 2 hours.
I was thinking about adding a grip to the kit, but then, the size advantage is lost, so , what's the point?

Any one here can comment from their own experience?
Yeah so? why is it important to tell us about it?
04-18-2017, 10:38 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
Yeah so? why is it important to tell us about it?
Because I would like to know about the battery life in real use, not only what is claimed on paper. The reason is that I've been told battery life on Fuji is practically (common practical shooting situation) significantly lower than specified. I wanted to know how much, not only from one user. For me it is funny to also see some forms of endowment effect on the Fuji as well as on the Pentax (basically, as soon as you own something, it's greater than what it actually is), that's why it's better to get feedback from different users.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-18-2017 at 10:44 PM.