Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2017, 03:10 AM - 1 Like   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
Best is to have 1 or more extra batteries, whether OEM (when affordable) or third party generic.
Yes. Note: Pentax D-LI90 is actually smaller than it's charger and power cable. 1 spare pre-charged battery is the best.

I never used the USB port on my cameras to transfer data, it is so easy to insert the SD card in my laptop, and the transfer rate this way is lightning fast.
I do the same :-) insert SD card in laptop SD card slot, that's faster, one can even browse images on the SD card itself and copy only the interesting ones to HDD. Eventually there are cheap USB3 SD card readers that work faster than camera USB itself.

I have several SD cards, they are cheap if you are not a video shooter and dont need the ultimate speed and capacity: any class 10 SD card I experienced was fast enough for still bursts or full HD video capture.
Yes. Agreed. Actually, due to the speed limitation of the K1 (or K3) there is no point of buying ultrafast SD cards that cost more. I prefer to buy Transcend 300x or 600x that are fast enough but much cheaper than the fastest ones, and the advantage is I can use those SD as intermediate storage for when I don't have time to transfer photos immediately, keeping the task of sorting out photos when the weather will be bad.

I feel safer with several smaller cards than fewer high capacity cards.
Sure, in case one SD card book is corrupted or whatever, it's less risky to use multiple smaller SD cards vs using a single large expensive one.

As for me I dont understand the need of 4K video
Well, when shopping, we went on discussing the matter in front of large size flat panel display HD and UHD with the sales guy of the electronic appliance retailer (Fnac etc). There was a 4K UHD being played , and we have to look really really close to perceive any small difference between the HD display and the UHD. Actually, at 1 meter distance , no one could tell the difference between the HD and UHD. We ask the sales guy why would we buy the 4K, he replied that it's because it's the trend...

rather aims to produce a good quality video, it needs lots of accessories (think about tripods, sound recording and lighting/reflectors for instance), a good enough scenario and script, hours of capture, with at least one or two friends to help the cameraman, and lots more work in cutting and PP
Most users complaining about Pentax video, recorded video handheld, shaking the camera to show the effect of rolling shutter, which is precisely what pro don't do because shaky images, even only slightly shaky , destroys the comfort of video watching.
Pro videographer use , as you mention, accessory, the camera is steadily mounted on a panning head and / or rail to ensure smooth motion while changing the view point. Mounting a Pentax DSLR on such video specific equipment and no one can tell if it was recorded with a Pentax or any other brand. As you mention, scenario creation, transitions between scenes, background music count much more then the camera used. Then there can be an issue of data rate of the bit stream produced by the Pentax DSLRs, but that can be compressed by the software used to render the video. Video is a discipline on its own, it's a lot of work and require specific skills, blaming the camera is way too easy. There are lot of crappy videos out there, recorded with DSLR supposedly good for videos...

04-20-2017, 03:49 AM   #92
Veteran Member

t takes great pains to separate the 'Zeiss' and 'SONY Zeiss' brands.
There is no such thing as "Zeiss, Leica, Sony, Canon, or, for that matter, Pentax glass only glass that gets the job done or not.
Is my "Zeiss" 50mm Planar ZK a "real" Zeiss?

Taken through my little M4/3 sensor "Real" or not?

Last edited by wildman; 04-24-2017 at 11:58 PM.
04-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #93
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Brands like Leica or Zeiss refer to an expected level of excellence in design, manufacturing and quality control in each product category, for which they can charge a higher price than the industry average.

This level of excellence (and the matching price tag) is of course different, depending the overall performance of the final system, but it is always aimed to the best performance in each category:
I'm actually not referring to where the brand itself manufactures in another country, Tatouzou.

An American buying a C Class Mercedes will likely be getting one made in Alabama, not Stuttgart, but it can't matter all that much these days, a bit like Pentax lenses with the 'Made in Japan' vs 'Made in Vietnam' debates this forum once had.

The issue is where a company designs, builds and sells its own product but pays for the branding of a more prestigious company.

Zeiss don't want their name dragged down, so they will take Sony's money but put conditions on the products, hence the explanation on their website.

Make no bones about it, they use the phrase 'Sony Zeiss', not 'Zeiss' to distinguish from the real article.

Personally, I think fears are misplaced. The latest Sony G lenses are very, very good in their own right.
04-22-2017, 10:53 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I'm actually not referring to where the brand itself manufactures in another country, Tatouzou.

An American buying a C Class Mercedes will likely be getting one made in Alabama, not Stuttgart, but it can't matter all that much these days, a bit like Pentax lenses with the 'Made in Japan' vs 'Made in Vietnam' debates this forum once had.

The issue is where a company designs, builds and sells its own product but pays for the branding of a more prestigious company.

Zeiss don't want their name dragged down, so they will take Sony's money but put conditions on the products, hence the explanation on their website.

Make no bones about it, they use the phrase 'Sony Zeiss', not 'Zeiss' to distinguish from the real article.

Personally, I think fears are misplaced. The latest Sony G lenses are very, very good in their own right.
Well it depend how you see it. It is better for the country to have work designing and manufacturing things than things being imported. This is the true impact actually. That and I guess quality control and defect rate may be different from factory to factory... But I guess the marketing department changing the actual options available and included for the same car and the local law changing how a car should behave or not may all have more impact.

For example in France, we have a "carbon tax" for cars that tend to help diesel models (they perform well on that aspect even if they tend to emit mor ef other stuff that are far worse) and typically the car when sold in france with the exact same motor has lower horsepower and maybe different gearbox setting to pass the europeans certification + ensure they fit the low carbon contraints.

For Zeiss, there really a difference between Sony lenses branded as Zeiss and true Zeiss lenses. Both are available on FE mount, and Zeiss has a very popular Batis line that is not a Sony but Zeiss own line and quite popular...

Sony FE mount lack lot of variety in term of lenses, but if there something it doesn't lack it wide variety of Zeiss branded lenses or support for all sort of MF lenses whatever the mount.

The brand is just a brand and they also target different market... Just relying on the brand one would say a Sony compact camera and the latest A9 would offer the same quality ???

Last edited by Nicolas06; 04-22-2017 at 11:01 AM.