Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2017, 01:47 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's a fairly expensive way of testing a technology, if so, they must be pretty dump people at Sony. They could have asked Canon owners what is the sport camera, instead of going through trial and error with releasing new camera models.
Not really. They will sell a lot of them. You're not going to work out the bugs of the technology simply by asking Canon users.

04-30-2017, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #137
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Not really. They will sell a lot of them. You're not going to work out the bugs of the technology simply by asking Canon users.
That's interesting how Pentax gets dumped after another company release a new camera. Fortunately, I don't buy every new better camera from the market. Even if Sony would release a new model and increase AF speed and FPS every time , I wouldn't buy. Photography is very much a virtual thing theses days, I don't mind deleting photos, it's a lot cheaper than buying new cameras all the time. And especially if, as you say, the Sony A9 will be available for $3800 in 2018, that's a loss of value of 30% in one year, no thanks.
04-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photography is very much a virtual thing theses days, I don't mind deleting photos, it's a lot cheaper than buying new cameras all the time. And especially if, as you say, the Sony A9 will be available for $3800 in 2018, that's a loss of value of 30% in one year, no thanks.
This comment made my day. I see lots of people changing their system thinking that their images will be much better because they saw some good images on the internet and also some online reviews of other cameras. I rather invest 2.000$ or who knows how much money will cost me to swich the system in going out and practice, because as you said very well, deleting images is way cheaper than changing systems.

This shooting day cost me 50$ (gas and lunch) and the client was very happy with the results. Would a A7R II, a Fuji XT-2, Olympus E-M1 Mark II would have helped me to get better images? I'm not paying 2.000$ or 4.000$ to find out.

04-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #139
Pentaxian

There is some forward / backward adjustment possible on the arca-swiss plate used on the gimbal, but there wouldn't be enough range for a Sony A7 or A9.
What? You mean for adapted lenses? There are extended Arca Swiss plates if you want to put a Big Canikon lens on a gimbal or ball head with your A7 or A9.. Ive had to use them on my K5 before. You have to sometimes do that anyway on the same system. A Canon 5d 810 g Canon 1Dx 1340g.
Sony A9 is 588g so by that logic the Sony A9 is better suited for lenses designed for Canon 5D than the 1DX because the difference in weight is 222g less than the 5D, whereas the Canon 1dx is 530g more than the 5d.
Handheld I still maintain if you use good technique it doesn't matter what camera you use. If you need to use a Gimbal/Tripod with a $3000 dollar adapted lens a $50 plate seems trivial.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 04-30-2017 at 08:07 PM.
04-30-2017, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #140
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And especially if, as you say, the Sony A9 will be available for $3800 in 2018, that's a loss of value of 30% in one year, no thanks.
I don't think anyone is asking you to buy one. I don't know you are so obsessed with a thread about a camera you have no interest in?
04-30-2017, 08:57 PM   #141
Pentaxian

IF it fails??? We may see aK-01 type reduction.....I'd like to see that...$2250 yes please!
05-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Pretty impressive AF tracking

05-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #143
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cameta interviewed a Sony manager and here are a few news:

1) First he confirmed that they are working on new telephoto lenses
2) More weather resistant than the current A7 series cameras (you can shoot with the A9 in the rain)

And now to the very bold claims we have to verify in real life yet:

1) Canon lenses will autofocus faster on the A9 than on Canon cameras
2) Almost the same High ISO performance of the A7s
3) Says the A9 suffers of less overheating than the competition
05-04-2017, 11:52 AM   #144
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think one of the things nobody has mentioned is that there are things like Sigma's MC-11 Mount converter, which will adapt Sigma's Canon EF-mount lenses to Sony E-mount. Currently selling for $150:

Sigma MC-11 Mount Converter/Lens Adapter 89E965 B&H Photo Video

For folks who already have a significant number of Sigma EF-mount lenses, I can see the appeal of this adapter with a Sony A9. Makes the whole "Sony doesn't have enough lenses" argument somewhat moot.
05-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #145
Pentaxian

Those people who claim not enough glass just don't know ..The native lenses are expanding a 16-35 coming soon.

19 mounts are available with the Techart Pro....

Ju$t a $hame that $ony charge$ $o much for their product$

I did read the Sigma and Metabones adapters will need a firmware update to work with the A9
05-04-2017, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #146
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Those people who claim not enough glass just don't know ..The native lenses are expanding a 16-35 coming soon.

19 mounts are available with the Techart Pro....

Ju$t a $hame that $ony charge$ $o much for their product$

I did read the Sigma and Metabones adapters will need a firmware update to work with the A9
I only need 3-5 lenses for what I do. More than that is just collecting. I realize some people might need several more, but for 90% of what I do I only need 3 lenses. I don't even like to travel with more than 3 lenses.
05-04-2017, 04:25 PM - 3 Likes   #147
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I only need 3-5 lenses for what I do. More than that is just collecting. I realize some people might need several more, but for 90% of what I do I only need 3 lenses. I don't even like to travel with more than 3 lenses.
Don't you dare tell my wife that!!!
05-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #148
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Cameta interviewed a Sony manager and here are a few news:

1) First he confirmed that they are working on new telephoto lenses
2) More weather resistant than the current A7 series cameras (you can shoot with the A9 in the rain)

And now to the very bold claims we have to verify in real life yet:

1) Canon lenses will autofocus faster on the A9 than on Canon cameras
2) Almost the same High ISO performance of the A7s
3) Says the A9 suffers of less overheating than the competition
Alarm bells ringing at these claims, Winder.

A typical Sony exec, then?
05-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #149
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
I think one of the things nobody has mentioned is that there are things like Sigma's MC-11 Mount converter, which will adapt Sigma's Canon EF-mount lenses to Sony E-mount. Currently selling for $150:

Sigma MC-11 Mount Converter/Lens Adapter 89E965 B&H Photo Video

For folks who already have a significant number of Sigma EF-mount lenses, I can see the appeal of this adapter with a Sony A9. Makes the whole "Sony doesn't have enough lenses" argument somewhat moot.
I cannot imagine owning very many Sigma EF-mount lenses. Back when I was a Canon user, Canon lenses were the draw to me; I purchased a Sigma EF-lens only if Canon didn't have anything comparable.
05-05-2017, 12:13 AM   #150
Pentaxian

That's good...Pentax K1 and Sony A9 systems will suit you...just depends if you want to shoot fast or slow.