Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2017, 07:48 AM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
With adapters the A9 should AF Canon glass at least as fast as they focus on Canon bodies. Its not the ideal solution, but for anyone switching over from Canon it makes the A9 a very compact second body and Sony plans on building on that.
This isn't trying to knock it, I just wonder - earlier on-sensor AF systems weren't so hot when it came to dealing with the very low contrast you get with a badly out of focus fast prime telephoto - I'd just like to see it to be convinced, because that's what the other features of the camera lean towards, and it would need to be able to handle that to take on the sports press pack's Canikons - just interested if there is any actual evidence

05-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its been hyped by $ony,the artisans have thoroughly tested it....YT has extensive evidence that its FAST, whether it'll penetrate the market its aimed for is the 4500 $ question!
05-09-2017, 04:51 PM   #168
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sony ?9 Goes To The Races | Sony | Alpha Universe

Kentucky Derby with the A9
05-09-2017, 05:40 PM   #169
Pentaxian

Thanks for that! Interesting read.

05-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #170
Veteran Member

Original Poster
05-11-2017, 07:11 AM   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

so, nothing above 200 f/2.8 or 100 f.4.5 - 400 f/5.6 - plenty of depth of field to hide in compared to a 600 f/4 if you ask me...
05-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
so, nothing above 200 f/2.8 or 100 f.4.5 - 400 f/5.6 - plenty of depth of field to hide in compared to a 600 f/4 if you ask me...
I've been using a Tamron 150-600 with an a7r II for the past year and it's been quite good.
With that said, I'm thinking such a lens would perform even better on the a9 given it's superb AF speed and capabilities.

05-11-2017, 08:14 AM   #173
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
The AF accuracy of mirrorless in general is better than DSLRs. One of the key advantages of MILCs is the AF accuracy is better with shallow DoF. The question is can they design lenses that larger where the AF motor is fast enough to keep up. The camera itself is checking and adjusting AF 60 times per second which is twice as fast and the flagship Canon or Nikon bodies.

---------- Post added 05-11-17 at 10:17 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I've been using a Tamron 150-600 with an a7r II for the past year and it's been quite good.
With that said, I'm thinking such a lens would perform even better on the a9 given it's superb AF speed and capabilities.
How happy are you with the A7rII AF? I have need using my A7II as a second body for the past 2 years and thinking of picking up an A7RII as the price has started to come down a bit. I expect the A9 will put downward price pressure on the A7rII.
05-11-2017, 12:26 PM   #174
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How happy are you with the A7rII AF? I have need using my A7II as a second body for the past 2 years and thinking of picking up an A7RII as the price has started to come down a bit. I expect the A9 will put downward price pressure on the A7rII.
With native e-mount lenses, I'd say it's quite good. I don't generally shoot anything demanding(sports, action photography etc) and so my opinion may come across as overly easy going.

With that said, I've shot a few events on low light and found the AF was sufficient to not feel as though it was lacking.
05-15-2017, 06:08 PM   #175
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The eye tracking AF is a big deal for many wedding and portrait photographers.

05-15-2017, 06:57 PM   #176
mee
Veteran Member

I find that first video impressive.

Perhaps the A9 is the first of the next chapter of ILCs? The talk for over a decade has been eventually our still cameras will essentially become video cameras and we'll have the ability to pluck out frames for still use. Between the fast burst speed, deep buffer, and the tracking.. I think we are at the early stages of actually seeing this happen.

Next question I have is.. IF (big if) this is as effective as promoted, does this put Pentax and stills oriented camera manufacturers in a bind? If we are in an ever widening technology war, Pentax loses since they use older, proven sensors.. usually a gen behind... then squeezes all they can out of them. They'll always be behind in that aspect.. it will be interesting to see which direction the market in general goes... and how Ricoh responds.

At 4500 dollars.. it's not in FF Pentax range. And I don't think Sony will be offering it to 3rd parties anytime soon anyways.. but it does appear to be a significant leap in technology.

More interested though in seeing the viewfinder.. I was thoroughly UNimpressed with my brief time with an A7 and A7ii's EVF... that is most where I think the mirrorless ILCs need to work..
05-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #177
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I find that first video impressive.

Perhaps the A9 is the first of the next chapter of ILCs? The talk for over a decade has been eventually our still cameras will essentially become video cameras and we'll have the ability to pluck out frames for still use. Between the fast burst speed, deep buffer, and the tracking.. I think we are at the early stages of actually seeing this happen.

Next question I have is.. IF (big if) this is as effective as promoted, does this put Pentax and stills oriented camera manufacturers in a bind? If we are in an ever widening technology war, Pentax loses since they use older, proven sensors.. usually a gen behind... then squeezes all they can out of them. They'll always be behind in that aspect.. it will be interesting to see which direction the market in general goes... and how Ricoh responds.

At 4500 dollars.. it's not in FF Pentax range. And I don't think Sony will be offering it to 3rd parties anytime soon anyways.. but it does appear to be a significant leap in technology.

More interested though in seeing the viewfinder.. I was thoroughly UNimpressed with my brief time with an A7 and A7ii's EVF... that is most where I think the mirrorless ILCs need to work..
The problem Ricoh has is that a lot of the technology that Sony is developing for sensors only really benefit mirrorless and video. Building a mirror and mechanical shutter that could handle 20fps isn't practical. There would be so much mirror blackout you would be able to use the camera. Basically the industry leader in sensor technology is focused on developing mirrorless sensors. Fuji and Panasonic have been working on organic sensor technology for several years now and ironically organic sensors are best suited for OVF cameras. Its possible we see some new sensor technology that gives OVF cameras an advantage, but there is no guarantee.

Companies dedicated to OVF technology need to find a way to bring the advantages that mirrorless can offer to mirror based cameras. Hybrid OVFs. Automatic lens calibration.

The two biggest complaints about mirrorless have been that the AF is slow and the EVF quality was poor. The A9 pretty much removes the first complaint. I have not used the A9 EVF, but it is significantly improved over the A7II. The A9 (120) doubles the refresh rate of the A7II (60). The 3686k-dot EVF is also a nice step up.
05-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #178
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Perhaps the A9 is the first of the next chapter of ILCs?
The tech was developed initially for smartphones,then they developed the 1" sensor for the latest bridge camera...So Yes, its the beginning of a new era.

in saying that, the A9 is the first chapter in this book....more to come.

Last edited by surfar; 05-17-2017 at 02:23 PM.
05-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #179
Pentaxian

The wide angles are covered

18-35 f2.8 and 12-24 f4.
05-18-2017, 05:55 AM   #180
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sony a9: all that speed appears to have dynamic range cost: Digital Photography Review