Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'm thinking bracketing will come to the rescue - not nearly as elegant as single frame solutions, though more than enough to overcome any DR limitations in landscape photography. ie, I continued bracketing my landscape shots well into the K-5, as it derived better results than with shadow recovery - better; detail, color fidelity, noise and signal amplification aberrations, latitude etc. etc.

With that said, and in getting back to the a9, I've been looking over the dpreview article and couldn't find any significant differences between the provided a7r II and a9 samples. Which apparently works out to be 1 stop shy of the apparent 14 stops of DR. Leaving the a9 with a measly 13 stops of DR

In addition to this, I found the following chart that seems to be claiming that the a9 is equal to the a7r II on DR.
Granted, the results are only estimated at this time, though I wouldn't expect drastic changes between the preliminary and official results.

Whatever the case, and with regard to the samples, it really doesn't seem as though a9 owners will have anything to worry about if these samples tell the tale. My guess is that this is is nothing more than hype at this stage - conversation piece type thing

And finally, I'd question whether Sony could add a 14bit mode to the a9 through FW as it was done with the a7r II.
My guess is that this could address the issue should users want to squeeze everything out of the sensor. - though I'm thinking 13 stops of DR will prove to be sufficient for most anyone regardless.
I'm guessing, anyone who bought it for what it offers, and tried to use i for landscape will be happy with the results. That being said, I appreciate the 15 EV DR of the K-1 a lot more than I thought i would. Someone happy with more Dynamic Range is not going to be happy with less. I used my K-3 for landscape for 3 years, now I wouldn't even consider it and I missed the DR of the K-5 the whole time I shot with a K-3. You get used to better you don't want to go back. It's that simple.

But if you never got used to better, then you won't miss it if you have 12 EV DR or whatever. The differences are subtle.

05-19-2017, 09:56 AM   #212
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Just look at how well their new 12-24 and 16-35 balances not so well with the Alpha bodies. As soon as you bring those WA lenses, it's pretty much game over to carry the Sony gear into a small bag.
Sony has already said larger bodies are coming. The A9 is just the 1st step.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Sony Alpha Ambassador for Australia... say no more.
Put it on mute then and don't listen. Just look at the AF tracking with the dogs. That is the impressive part. I realize you don't need that and you don't understand why some people do, but that is a big deal for a lot of shooters. Shooting landscapes is some of the least demanding photography you can do when it comes gear. Even Pentax AF can track a mountain at infinity. With stacking and stitching you can take a M4/3 sensor and match the IQ of a FF camera.

The A9 does things the K-1 simply can't do and the K-1 has its own advantages as well. Go shoot what you like the best and don't worry about what Sony is doing.
05-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #213
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I appreciate the 15 EV DR of the K-1 a lot more than I thought i would.
Resolution aside, isn't the difference in DR less than 1/2 a stop between the K-1 and K-5? ie, I'm seeing 14.6 on the K-1 vs 14.14 on the K-5 IIs
'
With that said, is it possible to distinguish this in real world application, and if so, what areas would you say are making-up the difference?

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-19-2017 at 10:17 AM.
05-19-2017, 10:35 AM   #214
Pentaxian

Resolution aside, isn't the difference in DR less than 1/2 a stop between the K-1 and K-5? ie, I'm seeing 14.6 on the K-1 vs 14.14 on the K-5 IIs
'
With that said, is it possible to distinguish this in real world application, and if so, what areas would you say are making-up the difference?
Which is why my wife Tess has never upgraded from a K-5. However I went for the resolution of a K-3 over a K-5 and then missed the DR. So for me. I'm getting back the half stop I lost with the K-3 and then another half stop on top of that, so for me, one full stop. Given that many of my images go off both ends of the histogram, every little bit helps.

05-19-2017, 11:31 AM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
'
I would say that in situations where you can use pixel shift it is more than that. Basically at iso 100 I can bump shadows a huge amount with a K-1 without having noise. That is where I see improvement in K-1 versus K5 -- that and better resolution -- you can just print a whole bunch bigger without image degradation.
05-19-2017, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #216
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting

---------- Post added 05-19-17 at 04:04 PM ----------

Google Translate More Sony Fanboys making reviews.

05-19-2017, 02:16 PM   #217
Pentaxian

Sony a9: more speed, less dynamic range: Digital Photography Review

05-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #218
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Already beat it to death 3 pages back.

Revised Estimate of A9 Photographic Dynamic Range (PDR) at PhotonsToPhotos: Sony Alpha Full Frame E-mount Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
05-19-2017, 03:18 PM   #219
Pentaxian

My bad, I didn't look carefully...
05-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #220
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Sony has already said larger bodies are coming. The A9 is just the 1st step.
Yes, size is for Sony what autofocus is for Pentax. They both will do it in the future :-) So, for now, I'll wait and use my excellent K1.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 05-19-2017 at 03:48 PM.
05-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
So, for now, I'll wait and use my excellent K1.
Nobody has asked you to do otherwise.
05-19-2017, 04:23 PM   #222
Pentaxian

This is a complementary camera for a K-1, at least if it didn't have next to no lenses available for it. It's a K-3 up grade, without the advantage of a crop sensor.
05-19-2017, 05:36 PM   #223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a K-3 up grade
That's the biggest understatement of the year. Congratulations!!
05-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
That's the biggest understatement of the year. Congratulations!!
No kidding, in dollars it's a 500% upgrade.
05-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #225
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Photographic Dynamic Range versus ISO Setting

Google Translate More Sony Fanboys making reviews.

Sony A9 - Field Test - YouTube
Kind of what I was expecting at higher iso you can see this is what it was designed for and where DR is need for higher iso work in action photography.
If Bills forecast is correct it will have more of a DR gain above iso 800 than what we see between going from cropped to FF. Now only if they would stick this sensor in the appropriate body.