Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2017, 03:19 PM   #316
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I'm not anti-Sony although I've hated the software on every Sony device that has come into my life and get the sense that others have issues with their user interfaces, too.
As a Sony camera user, I'm sort-of-pro-Sony, and even I have serious issues with their user interface Mind you, I haven't tried an A9... but I don't hold out hope that it's been radically transformed...

06-01-2017, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #317
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The best hope for this camera for most of us is that in a few years the technology bleeds down to more affordable models.
06-01-2017, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #318
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As a Sony camera user, I'm sort-of-pro-Sony, and even I have serious issues with their user interface Mind you, I haven't tried an A9... but I don't hold out hope that it's been radically transformed...
LOL! You are a better person than I!

My limited tolerance for bad user interfaces is entirely exhausted by using Microsoft products at work and life is too short for hobbies that suck.
06-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #319
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
in a few years the technology bleeds down to more affordable models.
$$$ony may just make it exclusive to $$$ony?

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 09:46 AM ----------

From all reports they have made the menu a bit more user friendly....Battery life counts have shown many thousands as well!....EVF improved immensely but its slow(frame rate) compared to the OMD M2!

Last edited by surfar; 06-01-2017 at 03:46 PM.
06-01-2017, 04:04 PM - 1 Like   #320
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The best hope for this camera for most of us is that in a few years the technology bleeds down to more affordable models.
Amen to that, Norm The A9 is too rich for me, and some of what it offers is way beyond what I'd use now or in the near future. Other aspects, though, I could see being interesting to me in a reduced / lower-cost offering at some stage...

LOL! You are a better person than I!

My limited tolerance for bad user interfaces is entirely exhausted by using Microsoft products at work and life is too short for hobbies that suck.
My route into Sony was unusual I bought one of the last brand new Hasselblad HV kits, fully aware that it was a heavier-built Sony A99, but also aware that it would be the only digital Hasselblad I'd be likely to afford in the coming decade, and at a price that was similar to the Sony-badged model here in the UK. As such, the UI was secondary to me - something I knew I'd just have to learn to live with, and that's what I did. It's as bad as everyone says, but I love the camera and can work with it. And, having got comfortable with it, I subsequently bought an A7II to use with adapted lenses, despite the clunky, over-complicated UI, as it works really well for that purpose. But... the UI isn't great, there's no getting around the fact
06-01-2017, 04:07 PM - 1 Like   #321
Pentaxian

A9 overheating is NOT a general issue: seems to affect few faulty units only. - sonyalpharumors sonyalpharumors

---------- Post added 06-02-17 at 10:10 AM ----------

The A9 is too rich for me
Yes, lets hope its a K-01 and sells at HALF PRICE by the end of the year, when some of the LONG glass should be available!
06-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #322
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
From all reports they have made the menu a bit more user friendly....Battery life counts have shown many thousands as well!....EVF improved immensely but its slow(frame rate) compared to the OMD M2!
I'm probably an undemanding user... I love the EVF on both my Sonyblad HV and A7II, and it works amazingly well for my purposes. I'd love to try the latest Olympus EVF, though. Sounds impressive...

06-01-2017, 04:19 PM   #323
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
when some of the LONG glass should be available!
I'll just add here that I use the Tamron 150-600 in A-amount with my HV and adapted on my A7Ii. On the latter, it becomes somewhat limited to A99-style AF point coverage and functionality, but it works exceptionally well...
06-01-2017, 05:15 PM   #324
Pentaxian

The A9 cannot:

1) Show you the full DR or color gamut of the scene -- it's limited to the DR of the sensor, VF algorithms, and EVF display.

2) Be comfortable to use for the 30% to 80% of the population that are affected by motion sickness.

---

I'm not anti-Sony although I've hated the software on every Sony device that has come into my life and get the sense that others have issues with their user interfaces, too.
1) I said that in the quote you quoted. Here is the chart vs 2 brand cameras that are close to $1500 more than the A9
06-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #325
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
1) I said that in the quote you quoted. Here is the chart vs 2 brand cameras that are close to $1500 more than the A9
Why are they comparing the A9 to cameras with such poor sensors?
06-01-2017, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #326
Veteran Member

Its seems that Microsoft pulled out a contender..curvy sensors..
06-01-2017, 09:31 PM - 1 Like   #327
Pentaxian

Yet for other photographers of less frantic scenery, the A9 offers nothing but higher costs, worse DR, worse ergonomics, and eyestrain/headaches. For them, the A9 doesn't even nibble their DSLR's lens caps let alone kill their DSLR
It depends on where you want the DR, a camera like the A9 has the DR in the range for what it was intended, fast action needing fast shutter speeds. If you take a look at the higher iso's the place you need for actions it has nearly the same gain in DR as FF to cropped over what we see in high DR base iso cameras
06-01-2017, 10:05 PM   #328
Pentaxian

Why are they comparing the A9 to cameras with such poor sensors?
How about compared to K1? ...It is rare that you get to shoot a long lens at speeds where you can go as low as 100-200iso I know at high noon I can't shoot below 1/500 iso 400 at f5.6 with my 500mm
[/IMG]

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 06-01-2017 at 10:27 PM.
06-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #329
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
How about compared to K1? ...It is rare that you get to shoot a long lens at speeds where you can go as low as 100-200iso I know at high noon I can't shoot below 1/500 iso 400 at f5.6 with my 500mm
[/IMG]
This is rather interesting point, as I have rarely(if ever) shot with a telephoto at low ISO.
In addition to this, the higher frame rates required for action photography would also affect the need for lower ISO shooting as well. Which is rather interesting as I've never contemplated such factors as a none sports shooter personally.

PS. I've never heard of anyone considering the D5 as having a poor sensor. Though I get the feeling this may also be in due part to not being sports shooter as well. Whereas I believe the D5 is considered to be a highly respected sports camera for the most part.
06-02-2017, 12:52 AM   #330

recaptioning all those lame comparisons, i just wanted to mention,
that i am really happy no sedan driver would ever like to drive a ferrari
and that no pentaxian ever ate a burger at McDonalds.

(I hope that doesnt count for bad sarcasm, since its meant as a "broad hint")