Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2017, 10:08 AM   #511
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I shoot weddings with a K-1. I can definitely get the job done.
Of course. People were shooting weddings with much inferior cameras.

Interesting video... "fast moving photography such as weddings"? I'm unfamiliar with your weddings, must be quite action filled

06-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #512
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
One "discussion" I've seen years ago, talking about some Pentax' slightly slower start-up time, had the following scenario: "you're on the mountains, camera in your backpack, and suddenly a chamois passes in front of you, just for half a second. You must get the camera out, start it and take the picture. You can't do that with a Pentax, it's too slow".
Actually I'm not sure it was the start-up time... maybe it was the AF. Anyway, people can make up scenarios in which Pentax is completely inadequate for the job - with the suggestion of a "proper" brand, obviously. Perhaps you're seeing the bride just for half a second, in the most unexpected moment?
Actually I'm pretty sure you could miss a shot because the camera was in your backpack with just about any system.
06-26-2017, 10:42 AM   #513
Pentaxian

You think so?
06-26-2017, 10:43 AM   #514
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Actually I'm pretty sure you could miss a shot because the camera was in your backpack with just about any system.
I thought the same thing. ie, I was thinking the stand-by mode might be the most practical way to handle such things. ie, whenever I go out with the intent to shoot, I put my camera in stand-by mode and keep it within arms length at all times.

06-26-2017, 10:48 AM   #515
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I thought the same thing. ie, I was thinking the stand-by mode might be the most practical way to handle such things. ie, whenever I go out with the intent to shoot, I put my camera in stand-by mode and keep it within arms length at all times.
With my K-3 startup time never seems to hold me back. As for keeping the camera handy I have used sling straps for years and I think that is the way to go. I just recently got a Black Rapid Breathe strap which adds the sling to a regular backpack and it proved to be pretty good on the inaugural hike yesterday. Of course there were no quickdraw scenarios but I end up getting a lot more good shots with the camera out and handy.

If I'm moving around a lot having the camera hanging and powered on can wind up changing some settings from the knobs getting turned as the camera rubs against my clothing or pack. So I keep it off but handy and power it on as I bring it to my eye. User presets are good for being able to return to a known baseline easily if that happens by powering the camera off/on.
06-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #516
Veteran Member

Even worse if you just thought it was in your backpack and you left it in your car in the parking lot. So 4 hour hike to the car and back + 0.1s startup time for the Pentax vs. 4 hour hike to the car and back + 0.05s startup time for the speedy competitor. Who misses the shot now?

Seriously though, I'm almost always the weakest link when it comes to speedy camera operation, shaving tenths of a second off a cameras operation won't make as big a difference as just being as ready as I can be instead of my usual wool gathering.
06-26-2017, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #517
Pentaxian

With my K-3 startup time never seems to hold me back. As for keeping the camera handy I have used sling straps for years and I think that is the way to go. I just recently got a Black Rapid Breathe strap which adds the sling to a regular backpack and it proved to be pretty good on the inaugural hike yesterday. Of course there were no quickdraw scenarios but I end up getting a lot more good shots with the camera out and handy.

If I'm moving around a lot having the camera hanging and powered on can wind up changing some settings from the knobs getting turned as the camera rubs against my clothing or pack. So I keep it off but handy and power it on as I bring it to my eye. User presets are good for being able to return to a known baseline easily if that happens by powering the camera off/on.
I also NEVER pack the camera away. My camera sits "off" in my sweaty palm or dangles around my neck at all times on hikes, vacations, and photowalks. I'd never buy a non-robust camera that needs to be pampered in a backpack. One of my main reasons for choosing Pentax was the ruggedness of the bodies.

I find the start-up times quite fast -- my index finger instantly flicks the camera "on" when I start to raise the camera to my face and it's always ready by the time the viewfinder gets to my eye. The only delay is if I have a older zoom mounted and need to adjust the manual focal length setting.

06-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #518
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I also NEVER pack the camera away. My camera sits "off" in my sweaty palm or dangles around my neck at all times on hikes, vacations, and photowalks. I'd never buy a non-robust camera that needs to be pampered in a backpack. One of my main reasons for choosing Pentax was the ruggedness of the bodies.

I find the start-up times quite fast -- my index finger instantly flicks the camera "on" when I start to raise the camera to my face and it's always ready by the time the viewfinder gets to my eye. The only delay is if I have a older zoom mounted and need to adjust the manual focal length setting.
I sometimes hike with my 645 gear so that case is an exception. It stays in the pack when hiking or on the tripod over my shoulder if I'm just changing spots.
06-26-2017, 01:08 PM   #519
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Behind The Scenes Shooting In The Studio With The New Sony a9 - YouTube

It can do portraits as well as sports and wildlife?

---------- Post added 06-26-17 at 11:00 AM ----------

Sony a9 Real Wedding Photographer Review - YouTube

And weddings?
And then we have this;

No clue if this is specific to a single unit or not, but what are the odds of a none sponsored reviewer getting a camera that does under intended use. Needless to say, unless Sony can address this sooner than later, it's not likely that many pro shooters will be jumping ship just yet.
06-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #520
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the reason people are gravitating towards the A9 as a wedding camera is that wedding photographers nowadays are leaning towards the wedding photojournalists way of shooting a candid wedding. That silent shutter and the AF is very attractive. I hope it is implemented in the A7III.

---------- Post added 06-26-17 at 04:39 PM ----------

And then we have this;
My SONY a9 Has BANDING Issues! - YouTube

No clue if this is specific to a single unit or not, but what are the odds of a none sponsored reviewer getting a camera that does under intended use. Needless to say, unless Sony can address this sooner than later, it's not likely that many pro shooters will be jumping ship just yet.
Yikes I had that happen with my fuji xt10 at a recital shoot(because I needed silent shutter) . I wasn't happy. It was one light centre stage.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 06-26-2017 at 01:51 PM.
06-26-2017, 02:20 PM   #521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And then we have this;
My SONY a9 Has BANDING Issues! - YouTube

Given how inconsistent the banding is showing up it looks like a problem with either compressed RAW and/or image processing. A demosaicing issue.
06-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #522
Pentaxian

Is the Sony A9 camera fit for sports?
Nice report, as an Ex player I can relate to "soccah" very well.

I'm thinking of videoing a local game soon(but not with any of my Pentaxs)....And certainly not with an A9($$$$ony).

All reports are indicating the A9 is a very versatile piece of equipment so i'm looking forward to the fire$ales!

---------- Post added 06-27-17 at 08:58 AM ----------

06-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #523
Pentaxian

Given how inconsistent the banding is showing up it looks like a problem with either compressed RAW and/or image processing. A demosaicing issue.
The images on the Petapixel article about this issue look like the usual banding that occurs with electronic shutters and artificial lighting (especially LEDs and compact fluorescent) in which the flicker frequency of the light source, shutter speed, and the sensor's electronic shutter frame time create a specific number of bands (sensor frame-time divided by light flicker time) of specific modulation intensity (a function of shutter time versus light flicker time).

The banding can be reduced by not using an electronic shutter or by very careful shutter speed choice (a shutter time that is an exact multiple of the light source flicker time).
06-29-2017, 05:38 PM   #524
Pentaxian

In the race?
06-30-2017, 06:15 PM   #525
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sony a9 banding issue: fact or fiction?: Digital Photography Review