Photos: Gallery
Sigma has done the firmware update.
[COLOR="Silver"]

07-09-2017, 03:32 AM   #542
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Sigma has done the firmware update.
Sigma MC-11 Update Gives Continuous AF with Sony a9 at 20fps - YouTube[COLOR="Silver"]
Not bad, not great, but usable at least.
With that said, I'm hoping adapters will someday improve to the point of either matching or exceeding direct mount performances.
07-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #543
Veteran Member

Original Poster
07-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #544
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I was waiting for his review, cause I knew he'd be tough on the product as a long time Nikon shooter.

With that said, and aside from the banding issue, I'm thinking the a9 was is a great success in this particular real world test. Granted he had some minor criticisms on comfort and other niggles, but he seemed quite impressed overall. ie, when he was able to track the ball coming at him, he sounded like a kid on candy

What's also worth mentioning, is the number of times he praised the EVF throughout his review with statements such as; it's great, best I've seen, could not have done this without it, and the repeated emphasis on being able to chimp without chimping.

Beyond that, he praised things like; the silent shutter, eye and AF tracking, focusing speed and fast frames per second. Which he claimed could make or break a sports photo-shoot. Which addresses the fact that people will not appreciate the higher frame-rates unless they are actually shooting sports photography.

As for his conclusion, I thought it was interesting that while he stated that the camera was indeed great in what it did, and that Nikon and Canon needs to be afraid. Be very afraid.

07-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #545
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I was waiting for his review, cause I knew he'd be tough on the product as a long time Nikon shooter.

With that said, and aside from the banding issue, I'm thinking the a9 was is a great success in this particular real world test. Granted he had some minor criticisms on comfort and other niggles, but he seemed quite impressed overall. ie, when he was able to track the ball coming at him, he sounded like a kid on candy

What's also worth mentioning, is the number of times he praised the EVF throughout his review with statements such as; it's great, best I've seen, could not have done this without it, and the repeated emphasis on being able to chimp without chimping.

Beyond that, he praised things like; the silent shutter, eye and AF tracking, focusing speed and fast frames per second. Which he claimed could make or break a sports photo-shoot. Which addresses the fact that people will not appreciate the higher frame-rates unless they are actually shooting sports photography.

As for his conclusion, I thought it was interesting that while he stated that the camera was indeed great in what it did, and that Nikon and Canon needs to be afraid. Be very afraid.
Yeah. I thought he did a good job with the review considering he is a long time Nikon Pro shooter. I think the A9 is a great camera, but I think it is over priced by at least $500 and maybe a little more. I think Sony is cashing in on the new tech premium, and that is OK. In the over $4K price range it should have dual XQD cards and I still don't think the build quality is good enough to be a $4,500 camera. $3,500 is where I think it should be. I also notice that it Sony RAW files still tend to give orange skin tones. Either his friend in the broadcasting booth just had a bad spray tan or something is not quite right.
07-09-2017, 06:08 PM   #546
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
just had a bad spray tan or something
Yes, same as Jarreds bad hair DAY!
07-14-2017, 03:54 AM   #547
Pentaxian

A9 with an Aussie feature

07-19-2017, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #548
Veteran Member

I have this camera with a range of Sony lenses. Previously I had most Pentax DSLR from the ist-D to the K3 with a wide selection of lenses. Also used Canon 5d's and Nikon d800's. The A9 continuous AF is really revolutionary compared to DSLRs. Compared to Pentax C-AF the difference is extremely in favour of the Sony ( in scenarios where a k3 would get 0% hit rate the A9 gets 100%). The AF-C even work incredibly well in 4k 30p and 1080 120p video. If you are satisfied with Pentax AF then don't try the A9 as it is probably better not to know what you are missing out on if you don't want to be tempted to buy more equipment.
By the way I don't even shoot sports but mostly street photography. Yet the C-AF and Eye AF performance are just useful in so many scenarios where you need to get a useful shot of a fleeting moment. It has made the biggest difference to increasing my ratio of good shots than any camera upgrade in the past. Using a DSLR after this camera seems only to make sense for nostalgic reasons.
I think non-electronics focused DSLR companies like Pentax are really going to be relegated to ever smaller niche customers in the future given the increasing technology performance gap emerging with Sony.

I agree with some previous comments about the a9 being overpriced though. The manufacturing cost can't be that much higher than the A7Rii. The build quality is fine but does not quite give the same impression of robustness as a K-1 for example. The A9 build quality is similar to A7rII which is based on the A7ii which is a $1400 camera. However given the completely unique performance the camera offers I think Sony are justified in charging a premium since there is no competition at the moment. Anyway, the camera performance is really fantastic.

Last edited by Ayoh; 07-19-2017 at 05:35 AM.
07-19-2017, 12:06 PM   #549
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ayoh Quote
I have this camera with a range of Sony lenses. Previously I had most Pentax DSLR from the ist-D to the K3 with a wide selection of lenses. Also used Canon 5d's and Nikon d800's. The A9 continuous AF is really revolutionary compared to DSLRs. Compared to Pentax C-AF the difference is extremely in favour of the Sony ( in scenarios where a k3 would get 0% hit rate the A9 gets 100%). The AF-C even work incredibly well in 4k 30p and 1080 120p video. If you are satisfied with Pentax AF then don't try the A9 as it is probably better not to know what you are missing out on if you don't want to be tempted to buy more equipment.
By the way I don't even shoot sports but mostly street photography. Yet the C-AF and Eye AF performance are just useful in so many scenarios where you need to get a useful shot of a fleeting moment. It has made the biggest difference to increasing my ratio of good shots than any camera upgrade in the past. Using a DSLR after this camera seems only to make sense for nostalgic reasons.
I think non-electronics focused DSLR companies like Pentax are really going to be relegated to ever smaller niche customers in the future given the increasing technology performance gap emerging with Sony.

I agree with some previous comments about the a9 being overpriced though. The manufacturing cost can't be that much higher than the A7Rii. The build quality is fine but does not quite give the same impression of robustness as a K-1 for example. The A9 build quality is similar to A7rII which is based on the A7ii which is a $1400 camera. However given the completely unique performance the camera offers I think Sony are justified in charging a premium since there is no competition at the moment. Anyway, the camera performance is really fantastic.
I know a few 1Dx Mark II and D5 shooters who will argue a little regarding this statement of yours "there is no competition at the moment". And I'm talking about photographers who don't give a .... about the impressions of the guys from DPreview, Tony Northrup & CO. Let's face it, DPreview, Tony Northrup, and a few others are some kind of cancan press.

I also know from a few PRO photographers that Sony is getting very close with A9 to Canon and Nikon flagships in terms of performance, but maybe A9 Mark II will chalange D5 and 1Dx Mark II. For the moment, A9 can't stand a chance in tough conditions next to those you say that they are shooting with DSLR cameras for nostalgic reasons. Those 2 big boys are first of all reliable cameras and this is enough as a reason for any real PRO shooter who shoot in the rain or in low temperatures.
07-19-2017, 01:30 PM   #550
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I, A9 can't stand a chance in tough conditions next to those you say that they are shooting with DSLR cameras for nostalgic reasons. Those 2 big boys are first of all reliable cameras and this is enough as a reason for any real PRO shooter who shoot in the rain or in low temperatures.
Who says it cant? Sony has weather sealing and lists the same operating temperatures as 5d and 1dxmkii. Ive shot my A7 in rain and snow and as low as -20C and Im sure the A9 is probably better built than my A7
07-19-2017, 01:47 PM   #551
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Who says it cant? Sony has weather sealing and lists the same operating temperatures as 5d and 1dxmkii. Ive shot my A7 in rain and snow and as low as -20C and Im sure the A9 is probably better built than my A7
Some representatives from Sony said that is not build as tough as D5 and 1Dx Mark II. I'm lazy, but maybe I will try and find the article...
07-19-2017, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #552
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Some representatives from Sony said that is not build as tough as D5 and 1Dx Mark II. I'm lazy, but maybe I will try and find the article...
Well it's is $1500-$2000 less That'll buy 10 or 20 years of accident insurance in case it ever get's in a collision with a d5 or a 1dx.
07-20-2017, 07:03 AM   #553

If the main task of any camera is watching its viewfinder you might be right

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
It's a camera with a crappy viewfinder surrogate.