Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2017, 12:21 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Still wondering if there will be an a7m3 though? Specs do look impressive on paper but that price tag...

Отправлено с моего Redmi Note 4 через Tapatalk

04-20-2017, 12:32 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A high spec'ed camera.
Mixed feelings about it.
It raises the bar with some new stuff wrt fps, no blackout, af speed (to be verified and milc makers have always over claimed on this ), as well as video.
More of an action orientated camera.
The other part of my thoughts is that it adds nothing wrt to slower shooting image making.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
They know how to build cameras. They have been making professional quality broadcast video cameras for year. From the BBC to National Geographic they have been catering to professionals in that industry. If this was the same body/build quality as the A7, it would be called the A7III or something. The A9 has been in the hands of at least a dozen working professionals for almost a year now as they go through beta testing. Like the A99II the A9 appears to have professional grade build quality.
They know the tech, but I would not vouch for them on using all the info at hand to make better cameras.
The A7/A7r were problematic for some things that I'd have expected to have been done right with the Minolta/Sony Alpha know how, but it seems these were never considered/applied.
(Eg. Sensor reflection; smeared edges with older lenses (esp A7r); shutter lag for A7r; color casted edges)
They only got to solve these over the later models, which means that they care to get it done, but never thought to get them right in the beginning even with the Minolta/Alpha knowledge.
04-20-2017, 02:45 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm shocked to read that it will still feature USB 2.0. Surprising considering the cost of the camera...

I do wonder if this will break into the sports camera market. It feels like a challenge to the 1D/D5 type cameras and if the performance is really as good as they say, then maybe it could. But I think it would be more about the glass for sporting events and whether that is up to the specs that sports photographers are used to using. I am not familiar enough with Sony to know for sure.
04-20-2017, 03:21 AM   #49
Pentaxian

But it does have RJ45

04-20-2017, 04:16 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do wonder if this will break into the sports camera market. It feels like a challenge to the 1D/D5 type cameras and if the performance is really as good as they say, then maybe it could. But I think it would be more about the glass for sporting events and whether that is up to the specs that sports photographers are used to using. I am not familiar enough with Sony to know for sure.
Sony seems to have prepared long ago and spent a lot of efforts (money?) on promotion (DPR when on a business trip to Sony to review promotional material before the D day?).
The amount of youtube videos is huge, relayed by the reviewer that can be possibly found, it's like a blast. I guess Sony will sell this camera, at least it will sell to Sony fanboys.

However, it may no sell so well to people already experienced with long lenses. I'd like to see a Sony A9 with a 300 f2.8, 400 f4, 600 f4 with tripod collar mounted on a gimbal, chances are the lens will fall forward, additional 800gr weight should be screw on the A9 body to keep the combo balanced on its center of gravity. Having lens and camera balanced on gimbal axis is key to maneuverability, as soon as camera and lens are unbalanced, shooting becomes fairly uncomfortable.
04-20-2017, 05:22 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm shocked to read that it will still feature USB 2.0. Surprising considering the cost of the camera...
Only for charging. It has an Ethernet connection for file transfer and tethering.

---------- Post added 04-20-17 at 07:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
A high spec'ed camera.
Mixed feelings about it.
It raises the bar with some new stuff wrt fps, no blackout, af speed (to be verified and milc makers have always over claimed on this ), as well as video.
More of an action orientated camera.
The other part of my thoughts is that it adds nothing wrt to slower shooting image making.

They know the tech, but I would not vouch for them on using all the info at hand to make better cameras.
The A7/A7r were problematic for some things that I'd have expected to have been done right with the Minolta/Sony Alpha know how, but it seems these were never considered/applied.
(Eg. Sensor reflection; smeared edges with older lenses (esp A7r); shutter lag for A7r; color casted edges)
They only got to solve these over the later models, which means that they care to get it done, but never thought to get them right in the beginning even with the Minolta/Alpha knowledge.
The camera is definitely targeting a specific market. I think Sony wants to send the message that they are the industry leaders in technology. Whether we are talking about sensors, HD/4K/8K video, autofocus, framerates, resolution (A7rII) or whatever. The A7rII is their slow down and shoot architecture or landscapes camera.

I think it shows where A-mount is in Sony's world. They could have put this technology in the A99II, but instead they loaded it up with last years hardware.

They have definitely been listening to their user base and this is a big change from Sony of just a couple of years ago. If the build quality is not where it needs to be then people wont buy it at $4,500 and the price will fall. I'm not sure how much Minolta knowledge is still there. The A900/A850 were the last cameras that really seemed to show that Minolta heritage.
04-20-2017, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Marketing flash is successful. Being a proud owner of a9 to show off, yes, that's what it's about if you see that the A9 uses USH II SD cards, at 20 FPS it's going to clog at some point.
It's a marketing company, marketing works.

I wonder if there is a market for "My other camera is a Sony A9" badges, bumper stickers etc. I had better check ebay, somebody may already have this covered.
ps I don't have one but remember, many years ago, a Mini owner having a bumper sticker that pointed out his other car was a Porsche. I knew for a fact that his other vehicle was a Transit van!

04-20-2017, 08:27 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Rolling shutter: Sony A9 Hands on First Look - Amazing EVF - 20FPS RAW! NEW BATTERY! - YouTube
Look at the blue background thing becoming jelly.

This rolling shutter will also be in sports shots where 1/600 sec is not enough (like: any beyond chess).
If you want fast shutter times without jelly effect you only have a 5 FPS mechanical shutter.

"no blackout" means no autofocus tracking possible. In Sony words:
QuoteQuote:
Electronic shutter mode. Focus will not track the subject at apertures smaller than F11 (F-numbers higher than F11). The focus point will be fixed at the first frame. Display updating will be slower at slow shutter speeds.
04-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The first Sony A9 review - DIY Photography
04-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I'm one of the people who doesn't like EVF's. With an EVF I get headaches after 15 minutes due to a sensibility I have on my eyes. It's one of the reasons I'm not interested in mirrorless.
With me it's more like 1 minute.

And I'm totally in agreement with the rest of Dan's post.
When I look at both Nikon and Canon systems it's the lenses available that catch your eye. A 100-400 ƒ5.6 lens is not what I'd be looking for. My most used lens is my 300 2.8. which I use anywhere I can carry it. With the 1.4 x on it it's 420 ƒ4. 400 5.6? Like really? The Canikon 600 ƒ4 and 500 ƒ4s are really popular among the guys shooting in the park. You can't really talk about Sony being a competitor until the lenses are competitive.

And those lenses are expensive to develop and have a very long pay back time, not exactly Sony's forte. The advantage Canon and Nikon have over Sony, Pentax and everyone else is, if you have the money they have the goods. Think about all the folks claiming the the 150-450 is too short because it's not 150-600. A 100-400 lens is so 5 years ago. When a conservative company like Pentax has both the 150-450 and 560 in production and you come out with a 100-400, you don't claim to be going for telephoto.

QuoteQuote:
I wonder how soon Canon/Nikon and even Pentax will respond to these new releases from Sony, Fuji, Oly?! I'm not sure that we will see some good news this year from Canon/Nikon or Pentax, but the next year should be interesting...
I wonder if it will be more or less than the number of shooters dumping those platforms for a K-1.

For each Pentaxian buying K-1 another Nikon/Canon shooter jumped ship to Pentax - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by normhead; 04-20-2017 at 10:27 AM.
04-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I'm one of the people who doesn't like EVF's. With an EVF I get headaches after 15 minutes due to a sensibility I have on my eyes. It's one of the reasons I'm not interested in mirrorless.
My record was... 5 seconds, 10 until it become unbearable?

I can (and do) work with LCD PC monitors all day. But that one time it took me seconds until I started to feel a sharp pain, looking through a Sony-A-whatever's EVF. Perhaps some interference with the artificial lightning.
04-20-2017, 03:16 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
04-20-2017, 03:19 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Man !
Too long !
Is it worth continuing 'til the end?
04-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The camera is definitely targeting a specific market.
Yep - it's just what I need for my cat shots.
04-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Man !
Too long !
Is it worth continuing 'til the end?
If you are a sports/action shooter, wedding/event shooter, or portrait/fashion shooter then yeah. For the landscape or architectural shooter there is not much of interest. Its a lot of discussion about high speed technology which is something most Pentax users don't have a need for.

---------- Post added 04-20-17 at 06:49 PM ----------

This is What 20fps with No Blackout Looks Like on the Sony a9