Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2017, 07:58 PM   #76
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,608
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Sony is the future
Until somebody makes a superior sensor




QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Sony is creating the future!


04-25-2017, 01:49 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ffking's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Llanelli, Wales
Posts: 5,470
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Ancient history is in the past,Sony is creating the future!
not knocking the tech - looks pretty awesome on paper, at least - but I just don't think the press will go for it - happy to be proven wrong
04-25-2017, 01:56 AM   #78
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,608
Yes, time will tell....but one thing for sure is the stacked sensor will find its way into a lot of cameras!....maybe not soon though,Sony will want to introduce it to the A7 range....as well as make one for their Apsc models......Then the rest who buy their sensors might get a turn.
04-25-2017, 02:23 AM   #79
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,375
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
not knocking the tech - looks pretty awesome on paper, at least - but I just don't think the press will go for it - happy to be proven wrong
No tomorrow they won't, I agree, but if Sony keep knocking then they easily may at some stage. An absolutely excellent professional service network is likely a much tougher nut to crack. You can't invent that one in a laboratory, you have to build it and train it piece by piece.

Several companies must be feeling rather queasy at the moment. Nikon are very exposed since they are dependent on Sony letting them use the tech in the new generation of sensor. Canon at least develop their own sensors. And Olympus must be feeling a little miffed that their new and comparatively expensive EM1 Mark II is already looking a little behind the curve. The A9's sensor is a jump ahead with regard to things like BSI, the EVF not blacking out and better shutterless operation. And Oly too are dependent on Sony for access to the new tech. They'd be in trouble without it. A lot of shaking up going on at the mo. Tough times for some.

04-25-2017, 02:40 AM   #80
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,608
Sony have an embargo on displaying images @ the moment.Its over in a few days so it'll be very interesting to actually see what it can do in the many reviewers hands. IF the battery life is good AND the menu is OK, I think they could win a significant market share( not that its a big market).


The positive thing is that it seeps down through their range and eventually reaches whover buys sen$ors from them.


We may see this sensor in a Pentax BUT don't hold yr breath.
04-25-2017, 05:59 AM - 1 Like   #81
Veteran Member
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,630
This camera could be a good news for everyone, regardless of the brand used, because it could wake up some sleepy - and some times stingy - managers, especially from Canon, Nikon, and others.
04-25-2017, 06:56 AM   #82
Pentaxian
Dan Rentea's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Bucharest
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
This camera could be a good news for everyone, regardless of the brand used, because it could wake up some sleepy - and some times stingy - managers, especially from Canon, Nikon, and others.
I think they are aware and I'm sure we will see more battles between DSLR and Mirrorless. But, for the moment this Sony is not a threat for the big boys (1Dx Mark II and D5).

1. Imagine a Canon 300mm f2.8 lens on that Sony body. I had the chance to play with 1Dx Mark II and 300mm f2.8 and I had no problem in taking the camera with one hand in big hurry, without being woried that i'll break the mount.

2. Put a Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm on a Sony body and see how it feels. No balance at all. Not to mention when you're using the Sony camera at -15 degrees, with gloves, trying to change settings on the fly (they have those tiny buttons) and you will see how good is a big and chunky camera

3. Pro service and support ia absolutely necesary if this camera is aimed to PRO shooters

4. Pro lenses are necesary, and we all know how much it cost a pro lens.

5. The agencies already have a lot of investments in Nikon/Canon top of the line cameras and lenses. I'm not seing them in the next 3-4 years loosing money by changing the system.

The next model of Sony may be interesting for Pro shooters, if the support and lenses will arive soon, but for the moment this camera is more likely to be bought by welthy photographers, than pro action photographers.

04-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #83
Veteran Member
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,630
I had played with a 400/2.8 at Fotohobby, on a D1 and it is true, good balance. While A7 I couldn't hold it in my hand with a small lens. So, I agree with you in almost everything, except small buttons. I think I knew a camera with some tiny ISO and other small buttons, and is not a Sony. And is my camera.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 04-26-2017 at 10:45 PM.
04-25-2017, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,558
The ever popular Big lens won't balance cry is a load of malarkey. If you cant handle them you are using bad technique.

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 04-25-2017 at 11:24 AM.
04-25-2017, 07:42 AM   #85
Pentaxian
mecrox's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford, UK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,375
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
I think they are aware and I'm sure we will see more battles between DSLR and Mirrorless. But, for the moment this Sony is not a threat for the big boys (1Dx Mark II and D5).

1. Imagine a Canon 300mm f2.8 lens on that Sony body. I had the chance to play with 1Dx Mark II and 300mm f2.8 and I had no problem in taking the camera with one hand in big hurry, without being woried that i'll break the mount.

2. Put a Sigma/Tamron 150-600mm on a Sony body and see how it feels. No balance at all. Not to mention when you're using the Sony camera at -15 degrees, with gloves, trying to change settings on the fly (they have those tiny buttons) and you will see how good is a big and chunky camera

3. Pro service and support ia absolutely necesary if this camera is aimed to PRO shooters

4. Pro lenses are necesary, and we all know how much it cost a pro lens.

5. The agencies already have a lot of investments in Nikon/Canon top of the line cameras and lenses. I'm not seing them in the next 3-4 years loosing money by changing the system.

The next model of Sony may be interesting for Pro shooters, if the support and lenses will arive soon, but for the moment this camera is more likely to be bought by welthy photographers, than pro action photographers.
Yes, what are Sony really offering that Canon and Nikon don't? High tech and modernity, but that's about it. Prices are similar, service isn't similar, and the degree of tech modernity seesaws with each new generation from one company or another. At least outfits like Olympus do offer something quite different. Take price. An EM1.2 and Oly 300mm f4 is around 4000 notes. A Canon 1DX and 600mm beastie is around 16000 notes. Of course they are not the same, but the one which costs 75 per cent less and is far smaller/lighter as well is still extremely capable in reasonable light and for screens only it's probably closer between them than one might think. Just sayin'.
04-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,615
Original Poster
Sony Alpha A9 review-in-progress | Cameralabs

The bottom line? The AF performance was tremendous, the burst speed impressive and the blackout-free viewfinder while slightly odd at first, quickly proved addictive. Here’s my experience.
I was also impressed by the speed at which the A9 locked-onto a subject and stuck with it. I shot over 8000 frames with the camera (on a single battery charge too, see photo below) and barely noticed it struggling at any point. But again this is the level of performance the camera needs if it’s going to compete with pro Canon and Nikon bodies.
04-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #87
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,608
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The bottom line? The AF performance was tremendous, the burst speed impressive and the blackout-free viewfinder while slightly odd at first, quickly proved addictive
Yes, a new era has begun!
04-26-2017, 05:23 PM - 1 Like   #88
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,637
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
The ever popular Big lens won't balance cry is a load of malarkey. If you cant handle them you are using bad technique.
I'm guessing the people who say that are the same ones who add battery grips to large cameras to "improve balance" - they've never learned to support the lens using the left hand.
04-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #89
Veteran Member
JimmyDranox's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ploiesti, Romania
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,630
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm guessing the people who say that are the same ones who add battery grips to large cameras to "improve balance" - they've never learned to support the lens using the left hand.
Ha ha ha. Very funny. Sorry for my indiscretion, did you ever hold a camera with a really long lens. Let's say, a 4 pounds, Sigma 150-500mm, which extend very much at 500, and the front end is very heavy. How did you hold it, with your left hand? By the extented tube?

Not to talk about a monster like Canon 400mm/2.8. I did. I didn't took many pictures with 400/2.8, it wasn't mine, but I took a lot with 150-500, and other long and heavy lenses. And there are many bigger and longer lenses in this world.

I am amazed how easy some people makes assumptions about someone skills, someone which they don't know in person. AFAIK, battery grips are used by a very big number of profesional photographers, and many of them sais that a grip is good for balance. So, two peoples from this forum have discovered that thousands of profesionals and a much bigger number of amateurs, don't know how to hold a camera. Very funny.

Last edited by JimmyDranox; 04-26-2017 at 10:36 PM.
04-26-2017, 10:38 PM   #90
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,608


A short explanation on how the sensor differs from whats been used in the past.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
a7r, accuracy, af, camera, cameras, canon, dr, ev, fps, image, landscape, market, minolta, mp, nikon, pentax, pm, press, price, professionals, quality, sensor, shooter, shooters, sony, sony a9, technology, users, video, wrt
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony A9 $6799 surfar Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 9 04-02-2017 01:51 AM
Sony A9 to be a DSLR-Like Camera with Unlimited RAW Burst: Report Sliver-Surfer Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 8 04-07-2016 07:13 PM
D FA 24-70mm F2.8 ED SDM WR Officially Announced Adam Pentax News and Rumors 557 02-25-2016 04:39 AM
New Sony A7II and A9 with IBIS Clavius Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 206 12-12-2014 05:37 PM
Sony A7 and A7r Officially Announced (Full frame supporting K-mount adapter!) Adam Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 152 04-23-2014 01:48 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top