Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2017, 05:14 PM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
This rolling shutter will also be in sports shots where 1/600 sec is not enough (like: any beyond chess). If you want fast shutter times without jelly effect you only have a 5 FPS mechanical shutter.
It has a anti distortion shutter for electronic shutter. You can't seriously judge it by what the live view does on a video.

04-20-2017, 05:31 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm shocked to read that it will still feature USB 2.0. Surprising considering the cost of the camera...

I do wonder if this will break into the sports camera market. It feels like a challenge to the 1D/D5 type cameras and if the performance is really as good as they say, then maybe it could. But I think it would be more about the glass for sporting events and whether that is up to the specs that sports photographers are used to using. I am not familiar enough with Sony to know for sure.
While it seems strange that they've not gone to USB 3 the difference in transfer speed may not really be all that different. There are very few USB 3 devices that read faster than 100Mbps and USB 2 tops out at 60Mbps. The theoretical maximum speed of USB 3 is 640Mbps. And, that's not even considering write speed which is much slower, typically lower than 40Mbps. What this means is that the perceived advantage of USB 3 over USB 2 may be just that - perceived.
04-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
However, it may no sell so well to people already experienced with long lenses. I'd like to see a Sony A9 with a 300 f2.8, 400 f4, 600 f4 with tripod collar mounted on a gimbal, chances are the lens will fall forward, additional 800gr weight should be screw on the A9 body to keep the combo balanced on its center of gravity. Having lens and camera balanced on gimbal axis is key to maneuverability, as soon as camera and lens are unbalanced, shooting becomes fairly uncomfortable.
An E-mount lens collar will be balanced for an e-mount camera on a gimbal. What makes you assume otherwise?
04-20-2017, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
While it seems strange that they've not gone to USB 3 the difference in transfer speed may not really be all that different. There are very few USB 3 devices that read faster than 100Mbps and USB 2 tops out at 60Mbps. The theoretical maximum speed of USB 3 is 640Mbps. And, that's not even considering write speed which is much slower, typically lower than 40Mbps. What this means is that the perceived advantage of USB 3 over USB 2 may be just that - perceived.
The camera has an Ethernet port for transfer. Sony cameras have the ability to charge the battery in camera. Just plug it into the USB port. Photographers who many shoot professional sports are wired and photo's are streaming to editors in real time who then post them.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

It's worth taking a moment to admire the hardcore Olympic photographers who wake up long before sunrise in some cases to ski out to their locations. The standard kit for a Getty photographer includes four camera bodies each outfitted with different lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8mm lens, f/300mm F2.8 lens. As you can see in the image below, Getty photogs travel with a mixture of Canon and Nikon cameras bodies, while the AP is an entirely Canon shop. Without fail, these photographers are using either Canon 1Ds or Nikon D4s. Unlike most disciplines where you could get away with something other than flagship DSLRs, sports photography requires the 10-15 fps speed that you get at the top of the line. That's a lot of gear.
The second a photographer fires the shutter on a camera, the resulting image— a high quality JPEG, not an uncompressed RAW file—is transported by ethernet to Getty's central editing office in about 1.5 seconds. There, a team of three editors processes the photo. The first selects the best image and crops it for composition; the second editor color corrects; and the third adds metadata. The whole editing process is done in 30-40 seconds. Once the last editor is done, the image is blasted to the world. It takes about 90 seconds for the images to travel over redundant 100 Mbit/s dedicated lines to Getty's data servers in the United States."

04-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
If you are a sports/action shooter, wedding/event shooter, or portrait/fashion shooter then yeah. For the landscape or architectural shooter there is not much of interest. Its a lot of discussion about high speed technology which is something most Pentax users don't have a need for.

---------- Post added 04-20-17 at 06:49 PM ----------

This is What 20fps with No Blackout Looks Like on the Sony a9
Thanks!
Impressive camera and obviously not for me (and my budget).
I'll go and watch the entire 48 minute video now ... just out of curiosity.
04-21-2017, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have nothing but praise for Sony who clearly listened to what the people were asking for with this particular camera.
While the a9 definitely caters to the professional shooter, I think it makes an excellent example of how the technology will inevitably deprecate the DSLR industry.

That said, can't wait to see what's next in terms of high resolution solutions. To which I'd add, I only pray is competitively priced though, otherwise we may see a pricing divide form between the mirrorless and conventional DSLR's until manufacturing costs come down. Which won't likely work in Sony's favor given the price that comes with innovation these days.

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-21-2017 at 07:20 PM.
04-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I have nothing but praise for Sony who clearly listened to what the people were asking for with this particular camera.
While the a9 definitely caters to the professional shooter, I think it makes an excellent example of how the technology will inevitably deprecate the DSLR industry.

That said, can't wait to see what's next in terms of high resolution solutions. To which I'd add, I only pray is competitively priced though, otherwise we may see a pricing divide form between the mirrorless and conventional DSLR's until manufacturing costs come down. Which won't likely work in Sony's favor given the price that comes with innovation these days.
There is a lot of cool technology in this camera that is going to eventually end up having a big impact on other cameras, both stills and video. If it can handle 24MP at 20fps, what could it do with 4K? Could we see a 4K 60fps video camera based on this this technology?

04-23-2017, 08:47 PM   #68
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The A9 will be top of the tree in some areas.....video specs are ordinary.Anyone who has the $$$ will be joining life in the fast lane,that's for sure.Viewfinder looks awesome,native lenses are quality but sparse.However the metabones and sigma AF adapters only need a firmware update to work with the EF mount.
I'd guess that the techart Pro adapters with firmware update will enable those mounts it caters for(K and m42 Pentax included)to work as well.New tech is exciting,this stacked sensor stuff will open up LOTS!....Digital will progress rapidly now.

Last edited by surfar; 04-23-2017 at 09:45 PM.
04-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #69
Veteran Member

The camera has an Ethernet port for transfer. Sony cameras have the ability to charge the battery in camera. Just plug it into the USB port. Photographers who many shoot professional sports are wired and photo's are streaming to editors in real time who then post them.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2

It's worth taking a moment to admire the hardcore Olympic photographers who wake up long before sunrise in some cases to ski out to their locations. The standard kit for a Getty photographer includes four camera bodies each outfitted with different lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8mm lens, f/300mm F2.8 lens. As you can see in the image below, Getty photogs travel with a mixture of Canon and Nikon cameras bodies, while the AP is an entirely Canon shop. Without fail, these photographers are using either Canon 1Ds or Nikon D4s. Unlike most disciplines where you could get away with something other than flagship DSLRs, sports photography requires the 10-15 fps speed that you get at the top of the line. That's a lot of gear.
The second a photographer fires the shutter on a camera, the resulting image— a high quality JPEG, not an uncompressed RAW file—is transported by ethernet to Getty's central editing office in about 1.5 seconds. There, a team of three editors processes the photo. The first selects the best image and crops it for composition; the second editor color corrects; and the third adds metadata. The whole editing process is done in 30-40 seconds. Once the last editor is done, the image is blasted to the world. It takes about 90 seconds for the images to travel over redundant 100 Mbit/s dedicated lines to Getty's data servers in the United States."
Thanks for this info ! Makes me drool at some point !
04-24-2017, 05:54 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suspect that Sony will suffer the same problem as Minolta did - however good and innovative the cameras are, they'll never break into the press corps, and you need that volume with high end expensive cameras - still good to see them pushing the limits and going increasingly solid state - always good for photography.
04-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
I would suspect that Sony will suffer the same problem as Minolta did - however good and innovative the cameras are, they'll never break into the press corps, and you need that volume with high end expensive cameras - still good to see them pushing the limits and going increasingly solid state - always good for photography.
Minolta's downfall was that they used technology that they didn't license. Honeywell sued them and broke the company. Minolta never really went after the press corp like Canon or Nikon. Sony appears to making the effort. They obviously still need to expand their professional support and the need lenses in a bad way, but they are doing both of those things fairly quickly.

---------- Post added 04-24-17 at 12:27 PM ----------

04-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Honeywell sued them
Honeywell sued everybody - even Pentax - Nikon put up a fight, but still had to pay up - it's always irked me that you can patent a technology you have no intention of developing then sue everybody who makes it work.
04-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #73
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ancient history is in the past,Sony is creating the future!

An interesting VIDEO accessory maybe the just announced SMALL HD FOCUS a 5inch screen that can be viewed in daylight! Low cost and the battery links and powers the camera with ?(2-3 times)battery life.

Last edited by surfar; 04-24-2017 at 03:16 PM.
04-24-2017, 06:56 PM   #74
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Man !
Too long !
Is it worth continuing 'til the end?
I skimmed... near the end he goes on about how Sony is the future, Canikon are in trouble, and essentially how everyone should join him on the Sony wagon.

When it gets to that part, the brand promotion gets a bit much and he stops talking about the A9 so you can quit watching then.
04-24-2017, 07:42 PM   #75
Veteran Member

seems that Tony is about to abandon ship..