Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2017, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #271
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I do wonder about 20 fps. It would drive me crazy to wade through that many images. If I take photos on a vacation, I will typically come home with 500 or 600 images from a week's time. That's just 30 seconds of shooting with an A9.

I know for sports shooters it is about capturing an exact moment, but personally, it would end up taking me far longer to sort images afterwards than the process of acquiring the images. Not really my cup of tea.
It is definitely a crazy number of pictures. The A7III is due out this fall and I expect it will have a cooled down spec sheet for people who only need 10fps maybe even less. Its hard to tell what Sony is doing with their marketing. The A9 just doesn't appear to have the build quality of a $4,500 camera. The technology is cool, but its not enough at that price point. Maybe the build quality is better than I think. I have the A7II and its build quality is rather average at best. Nothing like the K-1.

05-29-2017, 04:44 PM   #272
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
A9 tracking a basketball.

???????9?????? - YouTube
It is amazing to me how much dismissing and countering of the technology display is shown in this thread.

If you think the demonstration is 'boring' then you miss the point of the demonstration.. that it is a demonstration of the AF tracking of this camera.

And it is incredible. Relative to the position of the players to the camera, when they pass the basketball back and forth, the fact that the A9 can keep up with it, fully tracking it through it's trajectory out of the frame is incredible. The basketball is moving FAST. It should be seen as a positive and not a threat to anyone's precious Pentax. Put down the fanboy shields and stones and look at it just as a technical standpoint.. this is where the AF technology is heading and it is rather exciting.

Next step (or maybe a few down the road ) will have the camera map/learn players on a field and then, when they are within the field of view, lock focus on them automatically and track through the frame. How amazing would that be? Instead of cycling through AF points, you cycle through a list of people.

I can't stand Sony mirrorless.. but cannot deny the technology is still breakthrough on some points. This is one of them and I'm excited to see how/if the market as a whole reacts.
05-29-2017, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #273
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It is amazing to me how much dismissing and countering of the technology display is shown in this thread.

If you think the demonstration is 'boring' then you miss the point of the demonstration.. that it is a demonstration of the AF tracking of this camera.

And it is incredible. Relative to the position of the players to the camera, when they pass the basketball back and forth, the fact that the A9 can keep up with it, fully tracking it through it's trajectory out of the frame is incredible. The basketball is moving FAST. It should be seen as a positive and not a threat to anyone's precious Pentax. Put down the fanboy shields and stones and look at it just as a technical standpoint.. this is where the AF technology is heading and it is rather exciting.

Next step (or maybe a few down the road ) will have the camera map/learn players on a field and then, when they are within the field of view, lock focus on them automatically and track through the frame. How amazing would that be? Instead of cycling through AF points, you cycle through a list of people.

I can't stand Sony mirrorless.. but cannot deny the technology is still breakthrough on some points. This is one of them and I'm excited to see how/if the market as a whole reacts.
It has Face registration so you can register up to 8 faces. You can also set up priority ordering of those faces so you can say Concentrate on Bob but if he is not there go to Steve and so on.
05-29-2017, 06:10 PM   #274
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

I guess I just don't know that it is that much different from the auto focus capabilities of a 1Dx MK II or a D5. A little faster, but these are all frame rate monsters and all of them kill the K-1 both from a tracking and a frame rate standpoint. In the end, probably the bottle neck will be the lens's ability to keep up with the body and the photographer's skill in keeping the action in the frame.

It is mostly news because it is the best mirrorless to date.

05-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #275
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I just don't know that it is that much different from the auto focus capabilities of a 1Dx MK II or a D5. A little faster, but these are all frame rate monsters and all of them kill the K-1 both from a tracking and a frame rate standpoint. In the end, probably the bottle neck will be the lens's ability to keep up with the body and the photographer's skill in keeping the action in the frame.

It is mostly news because it is the best mirrorless to date.
Don't bother comparing the K-1 to any of the other cameras you mentioned as the K-1 is designed for a completely different reason.. or set of reasons.

The K-1 is a luxury sedan of the camera world.. it has some upscale pinnings, a solid chassis, functional 4 doors, and enough horsepower to do its intended job..

The 1Dx mk II, D5, and A9 are the sports cars of the camera world.. designed for performance at the expense of.. well.. everything else. Of course one can go to the grocery store in a Ferrari... can even get a trailer hitch for one. But that's not the intent of its design, so it shouldn't be considered in that manner.

Yet the features of the sports cars tend to trickle down into the other vehicle types eventually. And that is the interesting bit.. I know, at least with nikon, the autofocus system in the D_ series trickles down into the D8x0 or D7xx series cameras. Straight copy and paste apparently. So the D810 replacement should have the D5 AF in it (as example). Eventually the basis of it will make its way to the D7xxx lineup. and so on..

I'm sure this is just a glimpse of things to come.. The A9 could be a pig otherwise.. but it is a useful showpiece for Sony to say we are in the game as a serious player technologically. And will keep the Canikons innovating... or renovating.. one.

Pentax doesn't have much skin in that game.. since they don't play by the same set of rules. Which is probably why some here are really trying to map the K-1 in accordance to these other cameras.. but they don't compute. Don't bother trying. Square peg in round hole.
05-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #276
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't bother comparing the K-1 to any of the other cameras you mentioned as the K-1 is designed for a completely different reason.. or set of reasons.

The K-1 is a luxury sedan of the camera world.. it has some upscale pinnings, a solid chassis, functional 4 doors, and enough horsepower to do its intended job..

The 1Dx mk II, D5, and A9 are the sports cars of the camera world.. designed for performance at the expense of.. well.. everything else. Of course one can go to the grocery store in a Ferrari... can even get a trailer hitch for one. But that's not the intent of its design, so it shouldn't be considered in that manner.

Yet the features of the sports cars tend to trickle down into the other vehicle types eventually. And that is the interesting bit.. I know, at least with nikon, the autofocus system in the D_ series trickles down into the D8x0 or D7xx series cameras. Straight copy and paste apparently. So the D810 replacement should have the D5 AF in it (as example). Eventually the basis of it will make its way to the D7xxx lineup. and so on..

I'm sure this is just a glimpse of things to come.. The A9 could be a pig otherwise.. but it is a useful showpiece for Sony to say we are in the game as a serious player technologically. And will keep the Canikons innovating... or renovating.. one.

Pentax doesn't have much skin in that game.. since they don't play by the same set of rules. Which is probably why some here are really trying to map the K-1 in accordance to these other cameras.. but they don't compute. Don't bother trying. Square peg in round hole.
Or to paraphrase is you need a 1Dx, buy a 1Dx.
05-29-2017, 08:00 PM   #277
Pentaxian

Here's some ungraded 4k video.

05-30-2017, 05:49 AM   #278
Pentaxian

If folks had just labelled this the Sony fans A9 worship club, I would have stayed out of it.
05-30-2017, 06:54 AM - 1 Like   #279
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
If folks had just labelled this the Sony fans A9 worship club, I would have stayed out of it.
I highly doubt that.

---------- Post added 05-30-17 at 10:00 AM ----------

Some Landscape photography
05-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #280
mee
Veteran Member

Well... we're in the " Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc." section.. positive comments toward other brands and critical comments towards Pentax may occur here.. that is the point of having this section of the forum segregated from the rest of the site.
05-30-2017, 08:18 AM   #281
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I highly doubt that.
You just called me a liar.
That's pretty much the level of your commentary here.

Well... we're in the " Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc." section.. positive comments toward other brands and critical comments towards Pentax may occur here.. that is the point of having this section of the forum segregated from the rest of the site.
You guys really don't get it do you? We have no problems with critical comments towards Pentax, I make them myself. I'm actually waiting for someone who actually owns an A9 to turn up for a balanced view point. We could get lucky, although the camera is so expensive we may never get a real user. We do get some participation by 645z user which are even more expensive so who knows? It could happen.

But just like there is usually a huge backlash with Pentax's hype in the Pentax part of the forum, there are those of us critical of being able to seperate user experience (which we welcome, from whatever source on whatever camera and usually without criticism, you can't argue with someone's personal experience, unless you're a Sony shill apparently) ) from manufacturer hype. The odd thing is that we expect that will happen with Pentax announcements. Over here in the non-Pentax forum, people seem to thing whatever they are pushing should get a free pass, just because it's not Pentax.

The other day I even posted in the WG announcement that I'd bought a Nikon Coolpix AW 130 because the WG series hasn't kept up. I'm not who you think I am, and your continued negative characterizations, just mean you always dismiss what I'm saying without any attempt at trying to understand what I'm saying.

A couple of sad puppy dogs you two are.

Sorry dudes, you get the same treatment Pentax does. No preferential treatment for off brand cameras.

Last edited by normhead; 05-30-2017 at 08:32 AM.
05-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #282
Pentaxian

I Learned some new things about the camera from this video
No crop on 4k video
USB Power Pack use while shooting
Customizable menu option so you cam make your own menu system
Independantly tested for 2x battery life(not just Sony claim)
60X per second autofocus updates
Face registration changes exposure based on registered Face
Touch screen zone deactivation masking
05-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #283
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I Learned some new things about the camera from this video
No crop on 4k video
USB Power Pack use while shooting
Customizable menu option so you cam make your own menu system
Independantly tested for 2x battery life(not just Sony claim)
60X per second autofocus updates
Face registration changes exposure based on registered Face
Touch screen zone deactivation masking
Sony a9 first look hands on - YouTube
Sony has always been right up there or ahead of the pack for video. No surprises there.
05-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #285
Veteran Member

Why someone will pay 4500$ for a sport orientated camera and shoot weddings with it? Don't get me wrong, A9 looks like a very good camera and I'm sure it will have buyers, but these are not the reviews that I'm waiting for. I'm going to wait a couple of months and see if this camera can handle some real challenges (cold temperatures, indoor sports, challenging BIF, etc.).