Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 105 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2017, 04:57 AM   #496
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

---------- Post added 06-25-17 at 11:11 PM ----------

Last edited by surfar; 06-25-2017 at 05:06 AM.
06-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #497
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Sony slowing down might not be necessarily bad. They give me the feeling of a company who would throw money at a problem, and at some point, having destroyed the ILC market, they would have no qualm in exiting the business.
How are they destroying the MILC market? After Sony's recent restructuring I don't think they are throwing money at problems. They seem to have a clear vision for their technology and how to move forward in the market. The money they are throwing at problems "R&D" seems to be paying off pretty well.
06-25-2017, 07:18 AM   #498
Pentaxian

I hope they're not destroying the ILC market, but one way of doing that is launching lots of products with nice specs sheets but not much else, cheaply. Effectively creating difficulties for your competitors and for yourself.
One example: last year we saw both an A6300 and an A6500 - why?

"Paying off pretty well", is that really the case? Will they make a profit out of the A9? Will they reach whatever goals they set for this model? Samsung didn't, with their NX.
06-25-2017, 07:51 AM   #499
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
What i was trying to say, perhaps unclearly, in the post to which Winder responded, and you responded to his response, was that the video clip in question is the sort I don't have a problem with, just as I don't have a problem with Sony or the A9 - I think I said I welcomed the A9, I just don't like people using one brand to bash another - that was my intention, anyway.
My comments weren't in relation to your comments.

I understood your comments about Pentax and Sony appealing to different customers. And I agree. But that wasn't the point of my comments.

06-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #500
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've been using the a-mount Tamron 150-600 v1 on the a7r II with an LA3 adapter with relative success. Which works surprisingly well at nominal focal lengths, but not the best at the full 600mm (which I tend to shy away from regardless for IQ purposes).

What that said, the setup almost prompted me to buy into an a99 II, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy another SLT system personally - after living the entire entire pellicule drama and cost of ownership on the a99, which was too much to bare in own case.

Therefore, I'll likely keep this setup as an superzoom alternative until Sigma releases their upcoming native e-mount inventory revisions.
06-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #501
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"Paying off pretty well", is that really the case? Will they make a profit out of the A9? Will they reach whatever goals they set for this model? Samsung didn't, with their NX.
The financial reports show that Sony is doing well with the A Series of cameras. Will the A9 turn a profit directly? I don't know, but it looks like it will convert quite a few Canon and Nikon shooters and the number of professional Sony shooters is growing. The R&D cost of the A9 will be spread out among the A7III and all the other future models that will share the technology. The A9 also creates more demand for longer glass which will equal more sales and more market share. Its too early to say how successful the A9 will be, but its going in the right direction.
06-25-2017, 12:15 PM   #502
Pentaxian

Nice to see you so optimistic about a brand
So far, the A9 looks like a loss leader. Oh, sure, it gets a lot of publicity - which must be paid for - and even a number of pro shooters - which must be paid for as well. And the production volume is most likely lower than that of the K-1, but somehow we get the feeling they're selling in droves.
I think Sony will continue their game, after all, they're the MILC market leader.

06-25-2017, 04:57 PM   #503
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

It can do portraits as well as sports and wildlife?

---------- Post added 06-26-17 at 11:00 AM ----------

And weddings?
06-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #504
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Behind The Scenes Shooting In The Studio With The New Sony a9 - YouTube

It can do portraits as well as sports and wildlife?

---------- Post added 06-26-17 at 11:00 AM ----------

Sony a9 Real Wedding Photographer Review - YouTube

And weddings?
The second video was a great review. Thanks
06-26-2017, 02:17 AM   #505
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, if youtube videos were sales, we could soon expect to see the A9 announced as the best selling camera of all time
06-26-2017, 05:44 AM   #506
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All cameras can do weddings, portraits and wildlife.... even 8x10 view cameras, 1 frame per 2 minutes, no AF and weighs 70 pounds. You guys a hilarious.

Last edited by normhead; 06-26-2017 at 06:18 AM.
06-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #507
Pentaxian

One "discussion" I've seen years ago, talking about some Pentax' slightly slower start-up time, had the following scenario: "you're on the mountains, camera in your backpack, and suddenly a chamois passes in front of you, just for half a second. You must get the camera out, start it and take the picture. You can't do that with a Pentax, it's too slow".
Actually I'm not sure it was the start-up time... maybe it was the AF. Anyway, people can make up scenarios in which Pentax is completely inadequate for the job - with the suggestion of a "proper" brand, obviously. Perhaps you're seeing the bride just for half a second, in the most unexpected moment?
06-26-2017, 06:22 AM   #508
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One "discussion" I've seen years ago, talking about some Pentax' slightly slower start-up time, had the following scenario: "you're on the mountains, camera in your backpack, and suddenly a chamois passes in front of you, just for half a second. You must get the camera out, start it and take the picture. You can't do that with a Pentax, it's too slow".
Actually I'm not sure it was the start-up time... maybe it was the AF. Anyway, people can make up scenarios in which Pentax is completely inadequate for the job - with the suggestion of a "proper" brand, obviously. Perhaps you're seeing the bride just for half a second, in the most unexpected moment?
People who don't like Pentax or any camera system , just make up stuff to try and justify intellectually what is essentially an emotional decision. Good wedding photographers set up their shots, and make sure they get what they need through good preparation. This imaginary shot they might get with faster glass, better AF blah blah blah, is a figment of people's imaginations. If you go into a wedding shoot depending on the best everything getting you the shot, you're going to get skunked. It's just not a good plan.
06-26-2017, 06:48 AM   #509
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I shoot weddings with a K-1. I can definitely get the job done.

The question becomes what is the best tool for the money and that doesn't mean the cheapest or the most expensive.
06-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #510
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Is the Sony A9 camera fit for sports?