Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My go to for birding and wildlife is still the DA*300 with our without the 1.4 TC, usually with. Mine has been carried for countless hours with at least ten thousand actuations through all kinds of conditions and the AF works just as it did. The AF with the converter could be better at tracking, but it works. I would not be buying a new lens out of fear.

I have Manual Focus lenses which are longer, but manual focus is not the strong suit of a Pentax DSLR IMHO unless you are willing to give up eye level viewing. A DA 560 or a Sigma at 500mm plus is a bit pricey. If I had it to do again, I would have snagged a 560 when they were $3,800 on Amazon, but that's life.

I don't particularly want the extra weight of a zoom with about the same reach as my 300+TC. I tend to agree with Biz-Engineer that in wildlife photograpy, I don't often wish I could zoom out wider. For the few times that happens, the weight is not worth it. In fact, it does not weigh much more just to carry another body.with a shorter lens.

My two cents. That is probably what it is worth.

05-01-2017, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #107
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm only here because the bird saw this thread and wanted an opportunity to "do his thing" when there is any talk of leaving Pentax.

None of it matters to me, a person should always do what they have to do...or think they have to do. I am assuming that when you speak of wildlife shooting you are speaking of "professional" type shooting?

While I see plenty of pro grade shots with the Pentax 150-450, for me range is my most important need, and I'd dearly love a Sigma 150-600...or the Tamron version. I just shoot wildlife for fun, so my Bigma 50-500 HSM OS does a decent job, and the AF on the K1 is plenty fast....best ever.....though BIF is not my thing, so I can't say how that is?

Mostly wildlife from the K1/Bigma here......some half decent, some just average or below, but all just for fun.
Pentax K1 | Flickr

Shot these late yesterday as it was just getting dark......love that the K1 will AF very nicely in low light!

Works for my needs but maybe your needs are different and a change might actually be a good move. There is really no need to justify a change if it helps a person reach their goals. I do hope you find what set-up works for you, that is more important than brand or model. Of course, the damn bird sees it differently, but remember, he does have a tiny brain!

Best Regards!
05-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #108
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It's true. A while ago I was shooting beside a guy with a Nikon 600 4, I had my A-400 5.6 He looked at my lens and said "I don't shoot 5.6". It's an attitude that's out there among many long glass shooters.
I don't shoot f/5.6 either. I shoot f/8 almost exclusively
05-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #109
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I don't shoot f/5.6 either. I shoot f/8 almost exclusively
I have shot 9 mm, 45 ACP, 357 magnum, 10 mm, 38 special, 25 ACP, 22 long rifle, .270. 30 -30, 20 and 12 gauge

and I take photographs with cameras and lenses

slightly different in my view, never punctured any targets or taken down any game with the cameras and lenses, did so with the revolvers, pistols, shot guns and rifles tho