Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 32 Likes Search this Thread
04-28-2017, 11:22 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I don't use a blind.

I just set up in plain sight at a distance that respects the birds comfort zone and let the glass do the walking.

I never go bashing through the woods looking for shots of opportunity. Normally I know exactly what species I'm looking for and when and were to find them. But I have an immense advantage over most. My family homesteaded this county 160 years ago and I. have birded every nook and cranny of it. I pretty much know everyone and everyone knows me so there is hardly anywhere worth birding that I don't have ready access to. Everyone pretty much recognizes crazy Wildman when he first comes up the driveway in his little Nissan loaded with all his exotic gear. This isn't Manhattan or LA.

If things are slow I'm usually in a beautiful spot so I snap on the macro and see what the plants and butterfly's are up to.

Anyway it's "setup and they will come" for me and if not there is plenty else besides messing with photo gear when you are in the woods.

My "default" spot when I just want to get away from it all. In a few weeks it will be alive with warblers when the main migration comes through...
When I used the word "blind" I was trying to say that you set up and wait for nature to come to you, while my 69-year-old-legs need to carry all my stuff as my wife and I explore nature; you are looking for familiar birds, while we are adventuring, and any photos I take are a delightful bonus. When talking about bodies and lenses, what works for you is different from what works for those of us who live in the city and get to nature by hiking in county, state, and national parks.

Last edited by reh321; 04-28-2017 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add first sentences
04-28-2017, 12:08 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I used the word "blind" I was trying to say that you set up and wait for nature to come to you, while my 69-year-old-legs need to carry all my stuff while my wife and I explore nature, and I look for photographic opportunities along the way.
I hear you. In some ways not so different from me. My wife often goes out with me but she leaves me to my photo thing while she wanders off for a few hours of bino birding. Sometimes it's family so she just stays at the farmstead and chews the fat with the wife and kids for a few hours. BTW I'm 77 myself so I get the leg and back thing loud and clear.

Get out in nature while you can - both we and nature are going fast.

Last edited by wildman; 04-28-2017 at 12:16 PM.
04-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
I hear you. In some ways not so different from me. My wife often goes out with me but she leaves me to my photo thing while she wanders off for a few hours of bino birding. Sometimes it's family so she just stays at the farmstead and chews the fat with the wife and kids for a few hours. BTW I'm 77 myself so I get the leg and back thing loud and clear.

Get out in nature while you can - both we and nature are going fast.
The only reason I raised this issue, unintentionally causing confusion, is that context of use might be relevant to the OP.
04-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #79
Pentaxian

I only use a blind in my back yard, otherwise I'm just sitting out on my chair enjoying the view.

04-28-2017, 03:14 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I only use a blind in my back yard, otherwise I'm just sitting out on my chair enjoying the view.
Is it your open air photo studio for birds with natural backdrop?
04-29-2017, 09:15 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
I've been looking at the Nikon D500 + 200-500mm F5.6.
Last month I had the opportunity to shoot with the 200-500 mounted on a D7200. I found images from that lens to be sharp, colorful and contrasty. Really impressive. Definitely makes one consider that perhaps Ricoh is taking advantage of the paucity of big zoom options for Pentax with the pricing of the 150-450.
04-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #82
Pentaxian

The 150-450mm is no slouch, I'm certain it would compare favorably with the Nikkor. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pentax has the edge in several areas.
Besides this, it's about volume - much lower for the Pentax - and price optimization.

04-29-2017, 08:21 PM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The 150-450mm is no slouch, I'm certain it would compare favorably with the Nikkor. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pentax has the edge in several areas.
Besides this, it's about volume - much lower for the Pentax - and price optimization.
Oh, I have little doubt that the Pentax could match or maybe even edge the Nikkor in terms of optical quality. Beyond that, it becomes features vs features, with both sides scoring points. But currently the Pentax is $800 more expensive.

If I were in the OP's position and mindset, I'd seriously consider a Nikon body + 200-500 or Sigma/Tamron 150-600 as my wildlife rig, and Pentax for everything else.
04-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I adore my 600mm f5.6 A lens with or without 1.4X_L. However, if I wanted to catch only flying birds I'd likely make the switch .

NOTHING beats Pentax in the rain (I watch my buddy hide his Canon gear).
04-30-2017, 01:14 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Oh, I have little doubt that the Pentax could match or maybe even edge the Nikkor in terms of optical quality. Beyond that, it becomes features vs features, with both sides scoring points. But currently the Pentax is $800 more expensive.

If I were in the OP's position and mindset, I'd seriously consider a Nikon body + 200-500 or Sigma/Tamron 150-600 as my wildlife rig, and Pentax for everything else.
Please notice how I didn't put the price difference on quality alone, specifically mentioning other factors.
Actually the 200-500 is amazingly inexpensive; no 100-400 would go as low (let's not mention the new Sony ). What's the catch?

Yes, a D500 + 200-500 looks like an amazing combination for wildlife; mostly because of the camera. Then there are the third-party options not available for Pentax, which might give you some extra reach for cheap.
As a hardcore wildlife kit, this would be my recommendation (with a caveat: I didn't test it myself. That's why I'm not in a hurry to actually recommend it ).
Otherwise, Pentax is far from incapable - I guess we both agree; and a "dedicated wildlife lens" (the 150-450) keeps them in the game.
04-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Please notice how I didn't put the price difference on quality alone, specifically mentioning other factors.
Actually the 200-500 is amazingly inexpensive; no 100-400 would go as low (let's not mention the new Sony ). What's the catch?

Yes, a D500 + 200-500 looks like an amazing combination for wildlife; mostly because of the camera. Then there are the third-party options not available for Pentax, which might give you some extra reach for cheap.
As a hardcore wildlife kit, this would be my recommendation (with a caveat: I didn't test it myself. That's why I'm not in a hurry to actually recommend it ).
Otherwise, Pentax is far from incapable - I guess we both agree; and a "dedicated wildlife lens" (the 150-450) keeps them in the game.
I think the "catch" might be that Tamron had released the 150-600 for $999 and it received very favorable reviews.

I probably wouldn't listen to me for a wildlife rig recommendation as my primary tele is an A 400/5.6
04-30-2017, 07:37 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Is it your open air photo studio for birds with natural backdrop?
One of them, I have a number of places I set up from time to time.
04-30-2017, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #88

Just my 2 cents worth. I heartily agree Pentax options at the long end are very limited. It's a great great shame. With the weather-sealing and ruggedness associated with Pentax, they should be wiping the floor in the wildlife department, or at least, being contenders, not a sideshow.

So, I've had a look through some of the old catalogue, and see some gems in there (all of which seem very hard to find used):

F* 600mm f/4
F* 250-600 f/5.6
FA* 300 f/2.8
FA* 400 f/5.6
FA* 600mm f/4
FA* 250-600 f/5.6

Optically, they seem to be pretty sweet, so how hard would it be for Ricoh to ressurect some of these designs with updated AF systems? Add to this, a 400mm f/2.8, a 400mm f/4 and perhaps a 200-400 f/4

I think it's sorely needed and long overdue.
04-30-2017, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #89
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by plooksta Quote
Optically, they seem to be pretty sweet, so how hard would it be for Ricoh to resurect some of these designs with updated AF systems?
The main problem at Pentax, lenses (DA560 and a DFA150-450) still in the portfolio prevent the design new ones. The DA560 is the main blocker here.
05-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #90

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The main problem at Pentax, lenses (DA560 and a DFA150-450) still in the portfolio prevent the design new ones. The DA560 is the main blocker here.
I don't get that. Those two lenses do not cover all needs. Sigma, Nikon, Canon produce extensive ranges of long lenses, different lengths, different, apertures, zooms and primes. Thats why everyone uses them.