Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
05-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
My point regarding the 6D was only to suggest it as a viable FF offering at a very attractive price, NOT as being better than, or competition for the K-1 (although among those looking for FF at BB, or Costco, or Sams, or most places with a door, it will beat Pentax in units sold approx (enter big number here) to zero). The only Canon offerings that beat it are 3 or 4 years newer and start at $3500. Dynamic range is an important aspect of sensor performance, but the likely mundane landscape shooting I do fits well within the dynamic range of my camera, with room to spare.

Regarding the birth of the 6DmkII, it has been rumored for every month ending in a "y" since 2014.

05-28-2017, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FilmORbitz Quote
My point regarding the 6D was only to suggest it as a viable FF offering at a very attractive price, NOT as being better than, or competition for the K-1 (although among those looking for FF at BB, or Costco, or Sams, or most places with a door, it will beat Pentax in units sold approx (enter big number here) to zero). The only Canon offerings that beat it are 3 or 4 years newer and start at $3500. Dynamic range is an important aspect of sensor performance, but the likely mundane landscape shooting I do fits well within the dynamic range of my camera, with room to spare.

Regarding the birth of the 6DmkII, it has been rumored for every month ending in a "y" since 2014.
Oh, 6D is a viable full frame option (despite its age) as long as you know what you want from it. Same with K1 or with 1Dx or D5, etc. For example, I don't shoot landscapes so I'm not that much interested in dynamic range. I shoot portraits and some ocasional wildlife with my 6D and it delivers.

I've shot with 5D Mark IV and with K1 side by side with 6D. Both 5D Mark IV and K1 are very capable cameras. But at the end of the day I delivered the images resized to 3500px and the client didn't know which image was taken with 6D and which image was taken with K1 or with 5D Mark IV. And I paid around 1200$ for 6D. When the clients will notice the difference, I will invest in another camera, more likely in a 6D Mark II (if it will have 28mp and 45 af points). If tomorow I'll decide that I want to shoot landscape most of the time, then K1 is unbeatable for its price.

It all depends on:
1. what you're shooting. I make money from portraits and from product photography. I don't care about dynamic range or about the build quality of the camera.
2. what budget you have or how much you're wanting to pay. I have a big budget, but I don't have a reason to spend money (see above why)
3. what you're clients want from you. No one asked for larger prints than 80cm and 6D delivers.