Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2017, 10:46 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon (& Canon) thinking along the lines of the Pentax K-01?

QuoteQuote:
If Canon Rumors is to believedóthe current rumor has a low rating for reliability, but it's something I've also heardóCanon is targeting a full frame EF mount mirrorless camera for 2018, probably for Photokina. The tricky thing here is the EF mount: not a new mount, which means that any such mirrorless camera will probably look much more like a DSLR than any of the current mirrorless models. But that also means that it will take all those 100m+ Canon lenses that have been produced to date. (I discount the Sigma SDs here, which also uses a DSLR instead of mirrorless mount, because they don't look at all like DSLRs ;~)

05-18-2017, 11:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

K-02 with a full frame sensor plus the FA Limiteds would be divine.
05-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
mirrorless
To be merely "mirrorless" says nothing about the viewfinder. Does this article imply they will also have some form of EVF as well?

"I've long said this day is coming—and technically it still is as we're not to Day Zero yet—as both Canon and Nikon have to eventually evolve out of the DSLR mirrorbox to the simpler-to-build, easier-to-align, fewer-parts world of mirrorless in order to keep costs down."
05-18-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
To be merely "mirrorless" says nothing about the viewfinder. Does this article imply they will also have some form of EVF as well?
I would guess that a camera at this price point and size would include an EVF. Few folks would buy a 6D MK II if it had no true viewfinder and you had to use the camera at arm's length with the rear LCD.

05-18-2017, 11:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would guess that a camera at this price point and size would include an EVF. Few folks would buy a 6D MK II if it had no true viewfinder and you had to use the camera at arm's length with the rear LCD.
I don't follow gear stuff much so I may misunderstand but - it sounded like it was important to make these new "mirrorless" bodies accommodate legacy glass which sounds to me like just another half-assed kludge job.

Last edited by wildman; 05-18-2017 at 12:06 PM.
05-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't follow gear stuff much so I may misunderstand but - it sounded like it was important to make these new "mirrorless" bodies accommodate legacy glass which sounds to me like just another half-assed kludge job.
That's a "side effect" of having a shorter registration distance. Canon's registration distance is already short enough that it can mount Pentax and Nikon lenses with an adapter. I don't know if the benefit of shortening the EF mount in order to mount old FD lenses would be worth Canon's losing easy access to EF lenses without an adapter.
05-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any system that throws away compatibility with its entire current lens lineup - especially one as big as that possessed by Canon and Nikon - in this day and age would be committing instantaneous corporate suicide. Canon got away with it last time they did it because they had a large enough market of potential new buyers of their new system to support the changeover, and because the image sensor/storage system (film) required no R&D on their part. Now that is no longer the case, on either score.

05-18-2017, 04:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Any system that throws away compatibility with its entire current lens lineup - especially one as big as that possessed by Canon and Nikon - in this day and age would be committing instantaneous corporate suicide.
If so what implications does this have for technical "progress" especially from such huge dinosaur corporations?

Last edited by wildman; 05-18-2017 at 04:15 PM.
05-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The implication for any mirrorless camera from these makers to have a way to plug the current range of lenses in - probably by a glassless bridge adapter for the electronic contacts, included with the body - and use them seamlessly.
05-18-2017, 04:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
The implication for any mirrorless camera from these makers to have a way to plug the current range of lenses in - probably by a glassless bridge adapter for the electronic contacts, included with the body - and use them seamlessly.
That's probably true. But the question was about fundamental technical change not just accommodation to their traditional base.

My guess is that the next generation of camera buyers coming up, if they want mirrorless, will start with a "real" mirrorless from Fuji, Sony m4/3 etc and stay there while Canon-Nikon continue to loose overall market share.

In any case in the next few years it will be interesting to see how things shape up - it will probably surprise all of us especially the camera makers.

Last edited by wildman; 05-19-2017 at 04:43 AM.