Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2017, 11:02 PM   #1

Olympus OMD EM1 weather sealing

Hi everyone, I'm just going to share my experience with the weather sealing of my Olympus OMD EM1 mk.1 and 40-150mm 2.8 lens plus matched teleconverter, and that is: Always bring a plastic bag. I was hiking the Grand Canyon and got caught in a rainstorm with large raindrops, and on another occasion hiking the Mist Trail in Yosemite national park, where I got soaked from the waterfall. I was carrying my camera slung on my body, and it got wet, of course. Shortly after, I switched it on to take a photo of a bird and the evf and screen was blank, and it wasn't recognising the aperture of the attached lens. I dried it off, reset the lens and pulled the battery. Still blank, it turned out the shutter was closed (it's usually open and you can see the sensor ) . Luckily I touched the shutter to open it (i was rather desperate) and it wasn't blank anymore. I shot it on burst mode a few times and it has since worked fine with the evf not being blank.

Anyway, always bring a plastic bag and never take your camera into heavy rain. I'm disappointed in the weather sealing however it was a lot of water, and the shutter problem may have been unrelated. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

06-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I once had my K-7 on a horse back riding trip. We were riding to the ocean, about 30 minutes. The close we got to the ocean, the harder it rained (it wasn't raining t all when we started out). Now a summer rain is kinda nice, but not when you have a camera on you. I shielded it as best I could under my shirt (IT was soaking wet) but the camera still got a lot of rain on it.

When we finally got back to the corral (another 1/2 hour) the rain had stopped and I was sure the camera was going to be dead. I wiped it off, removed the lens (not weather sealed) and wiped off the contacts and the put it all together and fired it up, it worked perfectly! I was very impressed! I have no worries now with either my K-7 or K-1, they are certainly built for the elements!

Regards,
06-09-2017, 08:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
It was rather a shock but the fact that it's working fine now means that it's probably going to be OK. I was originally going for Pentax but I couldn't afford a new lens for the touristy things