Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
Yes, I understood the point of view of everybody even if it apears to some that I didn't.

Ok, let me put it this way. We have 2 cameras:

- 6D Mark II which it's an entry level full frame camera and it costs 1999$
- 5D Mark IV which is a professional full frame camera and it costs 3299$

In order to maintain the price of 6D Mark II lower than the one for 5D Mark IV (1300$ lower), the manufacturer had to do some compromises in such areas like af, storage, etc. These compromises are seen by some people as valid points giving the price difference, other people who expected more features for the price calles the camera crippled.

Those quirks from K1 that you mentioned are, as you and others said, some compromises in order to maintain a low price in order to be more apealing to people interested in upgrading to a full frame camera. For me these compromises are exactly like the ones from the other manufacturers, except the fact that Ricoh doesn't have a higher level full frame camera, but they intentionally made compromises in order to keep a low price for K1. Those compromises can be seen in some departments like video, af, storage (althrough even the processor may be a cause of the slow buffer clearing), flash system. Adding to that the declarations of Ricoh managers who said that they developed K1 keeping the eye on the final price, makes me think that they could have included a better af or some other stuff in K1, but they didn't because of the final price which would have been higher.

So you see, we have a:
- 5D Mark IV which has the latest technology in it at a 3299$ and I think it's overal a better camera than K1, but I also don't think the price difference between K1 and 5D Mark IV should be that big
- 6D Mark II which is a compromise (a crippled camera as it is described all over the internet) in order to maintain a low price
- K1 which doesn't have any competitor in Pentax land, but is somehow a compromise (it is crippled in a few areas) because Ricoh set a certain price and adding a few extra features would have increased the price. When some manager from Ricoh say that they used in K1 the latest technology available at that moment and then he say that they had to keep an eye at the final price...well, to me it means that they had the possibility to add better technology in some areas, but they didn't because of a board decision who said keep the price at 2000$. There is a difference in "having the latest technology available" and "having the latest technology available for 2000$".

If we talk about value for money, then yes, K1 offers much more features than other cameras like 6D Mark II or D750 at the same price.

Well, canons compromises for 6D II seem forced, and not out of necessity, the scale is just not the same. I get that they need to find their marketing budget, but the sensor and a single card slot is weird nonetheless. They know they'll sell it, so there is no reason to put 5D in danger, even if it means pissing off some folks

08-19-2017, 01:42 AM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Well, canons compromises for 6D II seem forced, and not out of necessity, the scale is just not the same. I get that they need to find their marketing budget, but the sensor and a single card slot is weird nonetheless. They know they'll sell it, so there is no reason to put 5D in danger, even if it means pissing off some folks
Yes, it was an weird decision from Canon to put just a single card slot in 6D Mark II. But others are doing strange things too. Nikon D7500 has a single slot card and giving its price...it's weird that Nikon took such a decision. Pentax KP has one slot card and no top LCD for its price...
08-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Yes, it was an weird decision from Canon to put just a single card slot in 6D Mark II. But others are doing strange things too. Nikon D7500 has a single slot card and giving its price...it's weird that Nikon took such a decision. Pentax KP has one slot card and no top LCD for its price...
But it's a $2000 camera.. If they wanted protogs to use it as a backup or second camera, why would they leave out second slot?
08-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #139
Veteran Member

But it's a $2000 camera.. If they wanted protogs to use it as a backup or second camera, why would they leave out second slot?
Who knows? 6D was the main camera for many (myself included) and a backup camera for many others. I didn't had any problems with my memory cards (not a sigle memory card fail) and I hope I will never have a problem with memory cards. I use SanDisk Extreme PRO memory cards.

I know that some people think that a second memory card is absolutely necesary, but looking at all professional photographers that switched to Sony, Fuji, Olympus from their DSLR cameras... Sony A7R II is a 2700$ camera, with just a single memory card slot, just to give you an example.

08-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

According to the most recent reviews the 6D II got a spanking and it's partly due to the K-1.
08-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #141
Veteran Member

Who knows? 6D was the main camera for many (myself included) and a backup camera for many others. I didn't had any problems with my memory cards (not a sigle memory card fail) and I hope I will never have a problem with memory cards. I use SanDisk Extreme PRO memory cards.

I know that some people think that a second memory card is absolutely necesary, but looking at all professional photographers that switched to Sony, Fuji, Olympus from their DSLR cameras... Sony A7R II is a 2700$ camera, with just a single memory card slot, just to give you an example.
Mm, New oly, Sony and fuji all have dual slots (latest releases).
08-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #142
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Mm, New oly, Sony and fuji all have dual slots (latest releases).
Yes, actually Fuji has 2 top end bodies with dual slots....AND Panasonics GH5 has dual slots as well.

08-19-2017, 01:53 PM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Yes, actually Fuji has 2 top end bodies with dual slots....AND Panasonics GH5 has dual slots as well.
Essentially the only body that came out this year and is within this price range with a single card slot is 6D?
08-19-2017, 03:22 PM   #144
Veteran Member

Yes, but as you said very well, all have something in common: they are top end bodies. 6D Mark II it's just an entry level camera, an expensive one. And Sony A9 costs more than 4000$.

Last edited by Dan Rentea; 08-19-2017 at 03:31 PM.
08-19-2017, 03:39 PM   #145
Pentaxian

it's just an entry level camera
Same as K-1, its the entry level Pentax for FF....but its got 2 slots,launch price U$ 200 less than this Canon!
08-19-2017, 03:51 PM   #146
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Same as K-1, its the entry level Pentax for FF....but its got 2 slots,launch price U$ 200 less than this Canon!
If true, where is the flagship FF Pentax DSLR? ....

Tiering requires multiple products, and Pentax only has 1 (K-1) FF DSLR.
08-19-2017, 05:03 PM   #147
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If true, where is the flagship FF Pentax DSLR?
It'll be released AFTER the PRIMES!....2019

Ya gotta crawl b4 ya walk!

---------- Post added 08-20-17 at 11:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If true, where is the flagship FF Pentax DSLR? ....
Its in the design stage at this point in time!
08-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #148
Veteran Member

At this pace we get the 50mm in 2018, he 85mm in 2020, and the 35mm in 2025. If the K-1 is in the design stage then it will probably be released with the 35mm, but that night be overly optimistic.
08-19-2017, 07:41 PM   #149
Veteran Member

Yes, but as you said very well, all have something in common: they are top end bodies. 6D Mark II it's just an entry level camera, an expensive one. And Sony A9 costs more than 4000$.
Most are around 2k, it only matters if you're artificially crippling your "entry" body to make your flagship better. D750 is cheaper than much newer 6d and is in the same category, yet has dual slots and better sensor.
08-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #150
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster

If that is the case, then the D5 is an outdated camera... because a D6 will possibly show up in a few years from now.