Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2017, 04:18 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pics: 【?】?????「EOS 6D Mark II」???|?????????

06-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep it looks pretty nice.. mostly an internal upgrade it seems as the exterior (minus one new button near the shutter release and the flip screen) is almost the same. Smart to not go wild with the exterior I think and get more upgraders from old 6d to new who will be familiar with the layout.

Which also means old 6d will probably be dirt cheap on the used market in a year. Already going for around 850 USD. Could be a bargain for someone wanting entry level FF but not wanting to spend a lot on it.

I wonder how Nikon will approach the D750 successor now? It is pretty much already at 6d II level in a lot of aspects.
06-26-2017, 03:23 PM - 1 Like   #18
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's an updated list of the specs, I've highlighted one of the features that I thought was quite interesting on a Canon:

Additional specifications for the upcoming Canon EOS 6D Mark II DSLR camera:
  • 26.2MP (total number of pixels: 27.1 million pixels)
  • Video engine DIGIC 7
  • All cross 45 points AF
  • Dual pixel CMOS AF
  • 7,560 pixels RGB + IR metering sensor
  • Viewfinder coverage: 98%
  • Viewfinder magnification: 0.71 times
  • 3.0" 104 million dots vary-angle touch screen
  • 6.5 fps (up to 4 fps when servo AF is set for Live View shooting)
  • Standard ISO: 100 - 40,000 (extended ISO: 50 [L], 51,200 [H 1], 102,400 [H 2])
  • Shutter speed: 1/4000 to 30 seconds, valve, strobe synchronized maximum shutter speed 1/180
  • Video: full HD 60p, HD 60p
  • 5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilization
  • 4K time lapse movie
  • Anti-flicker
  • Wi-Fi · Bluetooth · NFC · GPS installed
  • Electronic level
  • Battery: LP-E6N / LP-E6
  • Number of shots: approx. 1200 (viewfinder shooting)
  • Media: SD / SDHC / SDXC card (UHS-I card compatible)
  • Size: 144.0 x 110.5 x 74.8 mm
  • Weight: 685 g (body only), 765 g (including battery and SD card)
  • Kit lens (overseas): EF 24 - 70mm f/4L IS USM, EF 24 - 105mm f/4 L IS II USM, EF 24 - 105mm f/3.5 - 6 IS STM
Info was sourced from here: Additional specifications for the Canon EOS 6D Mark II DSLR camera | Photo Rumors

Tas
06-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is essentially a D750 with EF mount, on paper. haha

06-29-2017, 01:40 AM   #20
Pentaxian

It's here: Canon introduces highly anticipated EOS 6D Mark II full-frame DSLR: Digital Photography Review
06-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Here's an updated list of the specs, I've highlighted one of the features that I thought was quite interesting on a Canon:

Additional specifications for the upcoming Canon EOS 6D Mark II DSLR camera:
  • 5 Axis Electronic Image Stabilization
Electronic image stabilization in video isn't anything new nor specific to Canon. It's kind of better than nothing and is available for years on almost all camera from all manufacturers, even compacts and smartphones have this. What would be surprising is that a 2000$ modern camera will not have this feature. It's just a basic and expected feature for any new camera.

In fact, you can even apply this software trick after shooting the video as any decent video editing software will allow you to apply digital stabilization if need be.

Last edited by CarlJF; 06-29-2017 at 07:47 AM.
06-29-2017, 09:07 AM   #22
Site Supporter

B&H & Adorama both sent out breaking news on the release and pricing yesterday. It is about $100 north of the K1.

06-29-2017, 10:19 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
B&H & Adorama both sent out breaking news on the release and pricing yesterday. It is about $100 north of the K1.

or as we say over here in europe €170 south of the K-1
06-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Good. We are now back in the full frame era for enthusiast photographers, the reason why (I guess), Ricoh imaging decided to make the Pentax K1, mid priced high quality full frame DSLR.
This 6DII from Canon is in line with Canon philosophy of designing DSLR for the masses, good electronics working well with an emphasis on low cost build (weight = 685gr, built like a PENTAX K30, basic plastics, mass molded / hot injection, mass produced cheap plastic wheels and company shared in how volume by all Canon cameras for the masses), and no effort on the ergonomics of the hardware interface. I'm sure, the 6DII will work very well, although owners should not try to do what is possible to do with a PENTAX K1 (abuse, water , sand, dust etc). The price for 4 canon megapixel is 1000 euros (price difference between a 5DIV and 6DII) , that's not cheap. But, the Canon 6D II will be a success, like the Canon 5D IV, because, as long as a Canon camera is Okay (even if it is just average and not really the best choice of camera), Canon are everywhere, with good after sales service, so they sell whatever they make anyway. If the 6DII breaks, no problem, there are 10000 waiting somewhere in a container. In the future, I may get a Canon camera and a couple of Tamron zooms and primes, I just have to forget about ruggedness and design taste. Having had a Canon in the past, I'm still afraid that image quality may be inferior to Nikon or Pentax, but if the sensor is large enough, the image quality may be sufficient (basically, a Canon full frame 26mp with optical low pass filter delivers about the same IQ as Nikon or Pentax 20 Mpixels apsc DSRL).

Last edited by biz-engineer; 06-29-2017 at 11:58 AM.
06-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #25
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The samples on DPR and on Canon's official site ( Canon?EOS 6D Mark II ?Sample Images & Movies ) don't impress me. Colors are dull and there is a distinct lack of detail. The thought is this is due to heavy handed noise reduction though. And the shots are from a pre-production body, so I expect firmware updates to resolve some of these issues.

Still between the Canon 6d II and the Nikon D750, I'd pick the Nikon. It seems to be a better camera in many aspects.. and already 3 years old (so cheaper).
06-29-2017, 03:57 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's funny how camera manufacturers offer more and more pixels even though nobody is really complaining about the amount of pixels(these days). Maybe they should concentrate more on what people are complaining about...

Last edited by hjoseph7; 06-29-2017 at 04:05 PM.
06-29-2017, 04:03 PM   #27
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
Electronic image stabilization in video isn't anything new nor specific to Canon. It's kind of better than nothing and is available for years on almost all camera from all manufacturers, even compacts and smartphones have this. What would be surprising is that a 2000$ modern camera will not have this feature. It's just a basic and expected feature for any new camera.

In fact, you can even apply this software trick after shooting the video as any decent video editing software will allow you to apply digital stabilization if need be.
This is my bad, I saw this and thought of the sensor IBIS approach of Pentax, Olympus etc not a software solution.

I think the most remarkable thing about this camera is the amount of marketing and sales going around. Yesterday I received three emails in 15 minutes about it being available for pre-order. I got another one from B&H today and I see Kai has already posted a review. I'm not even looking for info on it and it just comes at me.

It's probably because I posted in this thread...

Tas
06-29-2017, 04:33 PM   #28
mee
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is my bad, I saw this and thought of the sensor IBIS approach of Pentax, Olympus etc not a software solution.

I think the most remarkable thing about this camera is the amount of marketing and sales going around. Yesterday I received three emails in 15 minutes about it being available for pre-order. I got another one from B&H today and I see Kai has already posted a review. I'm not even looking for info on it and it just comes at me.

It's probably because I posted in this thread...
I made that mistake initially too.. actually a week ago on a post.. but quickly deleted it once I realized my error. oops.

I haven't received any email about this camera. Last camera related mailer I got was a few days ago from Sigma about their new 24-70mm and 14mm art lenses that we don't get. I think Canon just does a lot of heavy online marketing..
06-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Image #3 Portrait..
for being a 5.6 exposure, kind of looks too soft..I wonder where they intended to focus on..
06-29-2017, 10:25 PM   #30
Pentaxian

That's the point in calling it a 5 axis stabilization; people are supposed to miss it's electronic, and just for video.
IMO.