Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2017, 10:25 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Possibly. Yet the D610 and D810 don't seem to be affected.

There must be hardware differences as to why they simply don't just use the shutter for either in the D750.

That said, kudos to Nikon for at least admitting to the issue. Pentax on the other hand sweeps the K-30/K-50 aperture motor failure and SDM failures under the rug.
And allowing free repair outside of warranty

07-14-2017, 10:46 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ian Stuart Forsyth Quote
And allowing free repair outside of warranty
IF bought through authorized dealers..Ebay and gray market are not in.
07-15-2017, 03:26 AM   #48
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
When I think Nikon mirrorless, I think antique rangefinder, and that doesn't seem like a good path for them...

When I think modern premium rangefinder, I think 4/3, Fuji, and Sony (with Leica as a special case).

That second path has risks, too... If they do APS or FF, they're right in the middle of Sony's market. Is Sony going to cut them great deals on the most modern chips? Or will Nikon be stuck with last season's chips?

That would put Nikon perpetually one step behind in fancy features. Can they do their magic on old chips and stay the market leader? Or maybe they have a separate chip supplier for the mirrorless...

Maybe they're buying 1" Samsung chips or something...

-Eric
Well, Nikon did have the 1 series cameras that seemed to be very nice from a tech standpoint, even if they had small-ish sized sensors.

I'm not convinced that Nikon's issues are actually related to lack of mirrorless. Canon has been dominating them, despite having "worse" sensors and still primarily with SLR cameras. There is something more going on here than just having mirrors in too many of their cameras.
07-15-2017, 04:12 AM   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not convinced that Nikon's issues are actually related to lack of mirrorless. Canon has been dominating them, despite having "worse" sensors and still primarily with SLR cameras. There is something more going on here than just having mirrors in too many of their cameras.
  1. Nikon suffers from worst quality issues of the industry. Who would want to buy that?
  2. Nikon is behind Canon in pretty much every single conceivable way now. Who would want to buy that?
  3. Nikon hiked prices a lot in the last two years in spite of inferior quality and lagging behind. Clear that more and more customers run away.
  4. Quite a lot of people seem to be very well aware of Nikon bleeding money and not yet having any good product to stop that (even in DSLR arena profits are dropping like a rock), so the future is uncertain for them. Which means nobody with a mind will invest into the price hiked products right now.
  5. This super vague mirroless statement will even force more people to hold back until a) a convincing product is published and b) this has come down to acceptable price levels on the street (very much south of $2000, for real major success south of $1000).

07-15-2017, 04:20 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Nikon lost out to Canon a long time ago. When AF was new Canon had the better AF and most professionals went to Canon and never left (they needed new lenses anyway). So now Canon is perceived by the masses as the professional camera brand so they buy a rebel....
07-18-2017, 10:20 PM   #51
Pentaxian

I hope Nikon try to be different. Nobody believes the full frame mirrorless = lighter myth anymore (unless smaller sensor and specific glass). Just take the D500 body and remove the mirror. Job done. Perfect ergonomics. Maintains flange distance and no change required to the F mount.

What is holding them back is on sensor focusing. Their live view sucks bad. They need it to not only be ok, but excellent. Nothing short of A9 performance would be acceptable right now. Same with the EVF. A9 quality or don't bother.

Nikon need a high end mirrorless soon. In my opinion the A9 is the first camera that Nikon users would consider equal to what they are already using.

Sony were lucky in that being first to market with a FF mirrorless they could release something fairly crappy. The original A7 really was a dog. Nikon (and Canon) won't have that luxury.
07-19-2017, 02:48 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
I hope Nikon try to be different. Nobody believes the full frame mirrorless = lighter myth anymore (unless smaller sensor and specific glass). Just take the D500 body and remove the mirror. Job done. Perfect ergonomics. Maintains flange distance and no change required to the F mount.

What is holding them back is on sensor focusing. Their live view sucks bad. They need it to not only be ok, but excellent. Nothing short of A9 performance would be acceptable right now. Same with the EVF. A9 quality or don't bother.

Nikon need a high end mirrorless soon. In my opinion the A9 is the first camera that Nikon users would consider equal to what they are already using.

Sony were lucky in that being first to market with a FF mirrorless they could release something fairly crappy. The original A7 really was a dog. Nikon (and Canon) won't have that luxury.
This may be quite wrong but I've read a lot of articles now which seem to be saying that the design of a lens and the choice of lens motor has quite an impact on the way a mirrorless camera performs. CDAF does best with stepper motors and lightweight focal groups in the lens - a lot of small movements in focus can be made very quickly. Conventional PADF focusing on DSLRs has been using linear motors and much heavier lens elements, perhaps because based on older lens designs. This is not ideal with CADF. I don't know how much difference the two approaches really make, but it may be that simply removing the OVF and mirrorbox from a DSLR and inserting an EVF is only a small part of what has to be done. Sony and co don't have this problem because their lenses are designed for mirrorless cameras from the ground up. It's hard to think that the PDAF sensing on a mirrorless camera is really going to rival the dedicated array on a DSLR anyway but perhaps that isn't true. In addition, Nikon have the tricky problem of sourcing best materials from a deadly rival. It all looks a bit messy to me. I expect Nikon will go for it but I don't think it is ye olde piece of cake at all. I know Nikon have a great deal of experience from their "1" mirrorless series but this didn't come with the huge question of how to accommodate the F mount.
4 Days Ago   #53
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
https://nikonrumors.com/2017/09/15/new-interview-with-tetsuro-goto-from-niko...ll-frame.aspx/

4 Days Ago   #54
mee
Pentaxian

Not sure who was bringing up the topic of the Df, Nikon or the interviewer. But it sure did come up often. I think someone wants the next Df to be a mirrorless!

And, oddly, the Nikon rep stated Sony, Olympus, and Fuji have no professional users. hahaha alrighty then.
4 Days Ago   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
hahaha alrighty then.
Must be right, i cant see any in front of me right now!