Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Anyone tried a DA lens with PK to e-mount adapter with aperture controll?

I found an adapter by Fatasy which apparently offers aperture control on DA lenses. And So I was wondering if anyone had tried one and could perhaps share their experiences with it?

07-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a similar model by Pixco and have tried some others. They work, but the problem with most of them is the very short throw of the adapter's aperture control. It only rotates by a few degrees, so judging and repeatedly selecting the aperture you want is pretty much impossible. Works fine with lenses that have an aperture ring, of course
07-21-2017, 02:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a Fotodiox PK-to-E adapter with aperture control. It is well built and allows me to use DA lenses on my a6000. I never do though, I only carry this adapter for emergency backup. I've taken to traveling with my K-3 and a6000 instead of two DSLR's. I throw the click-less adapter in my suitcase to guard against the remote possibility that my K-3 fails.

Click-less aperture control is annoying for two reasons:
1. You can only tell how much you've closed down by monitoring changes in shutter speed and ISO
2. The aperture ring is easy to move accidentally

I rarely use adapters. I much prefer my K-3 to the a6000, so I use Pentax lenses on the Pentax body. I have several very nice lenses for both systems, but definitely better covered in K-mount. My longest E-mount is the Sigma 60mm. When I use an E adapter, it is to mount my D FA 100mm macro or A 135mm f2.8, with or without Kenko 1.5X TC. Both lenses have aperture rings.

I have never mounted my Tamron 70-200 or DA*300 on the a6000 because there's no upside. I lose AF and have to contend with click-less aperture. Also, I'd be worried about the lens tearing out the mount. The build quality of the a6000 is not confidence-inspiring.
07-21-2017, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Click-less aperture control is annoying for two reasons:
1. You can only tell how much you've closed down by monitoring changes in shutter speed and ISO
2. The aperture ring is easy to move accidentally

I rarely use adapters. I much prefer my K-3 to the a6000, so I use Pentax lenses on the Pentax body.
Good points, and I agree with both of them, but especially #1.

All I'd add is that I happily use Pentax lenses on E-mount (in my case, my A7II) - just not those with no dedicated aperture ring. For those with a dedicated aperture ring, adapters with aperture control work really well, providing a setup very much like a preset lens. I'm a big fan of old Soviet M42 preset lenses, so that mode of operation works well for me

07-24-2017, 10:56 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I found an adapter by Fatasy which apparently offers aperture control on DA lenses. And So I was wondering if anyone had tried one and could perhaps share their experiences with it?
Excellent info. and thanks so much for taking the time to answer. With that said, I'm going to go ahead and get one - fingers crossed. Hopefully it will allow me to make use of all of my Pentax primes on the a7r II

As for the aperture clicks, it is unfortunate. Though this might prove handy for video. And so, maybe I could place markers on the dial to avoid blind adjustments during use. ie, I have a few Russian lenses with smooth aperture controls that haven't proven to be too much trouble during use that. Where a short throw might be a bigger challenge - I'll report my findings back here once I try out the setup.
07-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Excellent info. and thanks so much for taking the time to answer. With that said, I'm going to go ahead and get one - fingers crossed. Hopefully it will allow me to make use of all of my Pentax primes on the a7r II

As for the aperture clicks, it is unfortunate. Though this might prove handy for video. And so, maybe I could place markers on the dial to avoid blind adjustments during use. ie, I have a few Russian lenses with smooth aperture controls that haven't proven to be too much trouble during use that. Where a short throw might be a bigger challenge - I'll report my findings back here once I try out the setup.
Good luck! I think you'll find the short throw too short and the imprecise operation of these adapters too inconsistent to support reliable markings, but do let us know how you get on
07-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the Novoflex - about the most expensive you can get - to go with my Sony A7, NEX-7 and NEX-3N. Its aperture ring is clickless.

So, say you see someone you want to take a picture of, and decide to shoot at f8 with an f2.8 lens.

You can point at them and change your shutter speed and ISO so that you can see on the manual exposure needle you're exactly three stops overexposed.

Now, turn the ring closing down until the needle centres, do your manual focus, and get the shot.

Sure, this is all doable, but it really destroys your workflow!
07-24-2017, 10:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
You can point at them and change your shutter speed and ISO so that you can see on the manual exposure needle you're exactly three stops overexposed.
I've been thinking about it and I think I may have come-up with a solution. ie, one feature that I've been using with some of my MF Russian lenses, allows me to preset a minimum aperture setting first, then relying on the EVF TTL rendering to properly frame my shots within the preset aperture setting. Which has been working quite well with the a7r II as I can then rely on TTL rendering to frame my shots afterward without worrying too much about the minimum aperture.

However, with this particular adapter, I've come up with the idea of adding notches on the rotation ring so that it will click at f/2.8 and f/8 respectively. This way I'll have reference points and won't likely have to worry about the rest as I'll be using TTL with EVF to determine the optimum aperture settings.

Last edited by JohnBee; 07-24-2017 at 11:09 PM.
07-24-2017, 11:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I've used this on my Fuji X-M1 - it allows me to use my DA limited lenses on said camera and it's a combo that works extremely well, especially the DA 21 and DA 40 lenses.